[Solved] Windows 7 Proxo AutoStart
Jan. 16, 2009, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: Oct. 27, 2009 11:49 AM by ProxRocks.)
[Solved] Windows 7 Proxo AutoStart
I recently installed Windows 7 from the Microsoft website on another partition and it's running fine . A lot of eye candy ; nice , but no real performance boost over my tweaked Vista HP . Anyway , Proxo works great on it using Sidke's latest cfg as my default ; but I can't get it to auto start . Any ideas ?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 16, 2009, 08:42 PM
RE: Windows 7
Yeah I think proxo with pass away when IPv6 is default. Thats a long long long time away!
Jan. 16, 2009, 09:01 PM
(Jan. 16, 2009 07:31 PM)Ralph Wrote:  can't get it to auto start . Any ideas ?

i use HotKeyz - http://www.skynergy.com/hotkeyz.html - i have it set up so that i press "Ctrl-Q" to open my GreenBrowser AND Proxo, "Ctrl-W" for Opera@USB AND Proxo...

by NOT keeping Proxo open if my browser isn't open, nothing can "sneak out" on Port 80 'cause the machine's 8080 isn't active... it's basically like pulling the network cable, except i can still access Ports 25 and 110...
Jan. 16, 2009, 09:07 PM
PR, i was happily doing that with MyIE (actually Maxthon) maybe 5 years ago.
Actually it's the only thing i miss. BTW i hope it asks you for saving modifications before closing.
Jan. 17, 2009, 01:02 AM
(Jan. 16, 2009 07:31 PM)Ralph Wrote:  I recently installed Windows 7 from the Microsoft website on another partition and it's running fine . A lot of eye candy ; nice , but no real performance boost over my tweaked Vista HP . Anyway , Proxo works great on it using Sidke's latest cfg as my default ; but I can't get it to auto start . Any ideas ?

I put it in the Startup folder and it auto starts at bootup. It is the same as you do for any earlier version of Windows to have a program autostart. So, you are having a problem after putting it there? I couldn't just drag the icon to All Programs/startup because it wouldn't drop there. I had to futz around a bit to get it in the folder but once I managed to get it there Proxo starts on boot.

I don't have the eye candy because I have Windows 7 on Microsoft VPC but I don't think not having eye candy would have anything to do with Proxo auto starting for me but not you.
Jan. 17, 2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks Mele , that did it . I was just checking "run Proxomitron as a system tray icon" in config startup and it wasn't working on reboot ; but dragging a shortcut into the startup folder worked.
Jan. 17, 2009, 10:08 AM
I'm glad it working ok now.

Interestingly, I just had Proxo not start on boot on XP Pro. I can't recall the last time, if ever, I had this happen. I had installed Sidki's latest filters on it and was using them when I rebooted. It was probably a one time fluke as it is rare for Proxo (when put in autostart) to not do it. Actually, on second thought, I think it must have been running (stupid me I didn't think to check Task Manager) because I started firefox with a bunch of tabs before I noticed no proxo tray icon. I didn't get those tabs loading with lots of ads. Maybe it was just a lost tray icon.
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 25, 2009 02:08 PM by Kye-U.)
[Solved] Windows 7 Proxo doesn't work!
I have Windows 7 RC installed on Virtual Box. Never used Virtual Box before. Anyhow, first thing I did after configuring IE was get Proxo downloaded and installed and then I went and fetched Sidki's filters. Then configured IE to use it. I can't figure out how to find Startup programs folder to put Proxo in there so it starts on boot. Anyhow, I closed IE and restarted Windows 7. Then I started Proxo. The icon hid itself and I couldn't find it for awhile and still don't know how to keep from hiding itself all the time...a new OS is so much fun. I switched to Sidki's filters.

I started IE and it couldn't access the internet. I checked the IE settings. They are correct. I ran the Network Diagnostics and it reports that "the configured proxy server is not responding". What the ????? I gotta have Proxo working!!! I don't even want to download Firefox until I get Proxo working on IE. I had no problems setting up Proxo on Vista Ultimate and it has been on Vista. I am very puzzled. Proxo works as I just unchecked one Sidki filter and saved the changes. It just isn't working with IE which makes no sense.

Anyone here using Proxo with Windows 7?

edit: title change by admin...
edit 2: solution if anyone's interested (moving to Proxomitron Program) | Kye-U
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:55 PM
RE: Windows 7 Proxo doesn't work!
Win7? you serious? i can't even talk myself DOWN from XP to try Vista...

of course, it also took me the longest time to detach myself from Win2k (and i still think Win2k is better then XP, but i digress)...

i'll load 'er up into VirtualBox for the curiosity of it - whether curiosity kills the cat or not, we shall see, lol...
it'll pro'ly take a few days before i can post back an update...
Aug. 18, 2009, 02:03 PM
Oh, I love XP but a new computer at the end of the year or early next year is going to come with Windows 7 and I don't want to go insane then trying to figure out Windows 7. At least, Windows 7 doesn't drive you as nuts with UAC prompt stuff. I had to turn off UAC in Vista immediately but I haven't really configured services or anything much in Windows 7 yet but it is not nearly as aggressive as Vista on the elevation of rights stuff.

I got Vista Ultimate free from Microsoft for letting Microsoft spy on my use of my old virtual machine running XP Pro SP1. It was participating in Windows Feedback Panel for three months on that old machine and then we all got two separate keys for Vista Ultimate 32 bit and 64 bit. So, I have had Vista on Microsoft VPC for over a year now. I HATED Vista for a long time. I finally have gotten sort of used to it and it's not too bad now and in networking it is far superior to XP. Speech Recognition has made big advances in Vista. But the other day, somehow UAC got turned on and I didn't know that but I wasn't able to do a lot of stuff that didn't seem related to UAC but was once I finally figured out that it had gotten turned on somehow.

You are going to hate Start on Windows 7. It is despicable and there is no Quick Start. Dell is still selling computers with XP loaded free. I just got an email ...they were charging to downgrade you to XP but now no charge. The problem with getting another machine with XP is the RAM limitation. I want to be able to use hardware virtualization on my next machine and run virtual machines that I can give satisfactory memory to. That is not possible with XP as it only sees about 3GB RAM unless you go with 64 bit and XP 64 bit doesn't have the support that Vista and Windows have application wise. I want, with a new machine, to get it with at least 8GB RAM and that means 64bit. Am I going to have trouble with Proxo on 64 bit Windows? That just occurred to me tonight that maybe it won't run on 64bit??!!!

Thank you for looking at this for me! It really has me puzzled. The version of IE8 that is in Windows 7 is not like the version for XP or Vista. Even so, I can't understand why Proxo doesn't work as this version of IE8 can't be that different. Maybe I should install Fx and see if Proxo works on it. I can't believe there are 33 processes running, no applications and it is using 27% memory! That's awful. (I gave it 1GB RAM - I only have 2GB on the host and it cannot take more).
Aug. 18, 2009, 02:55 PM
the Win7 d/l is taking "forever"...
not my SOP (standard operating procedure), but i chose to download via torrent (Microsoft web site was asking for a Live Login, i don't have one, nor want one)...

i'm just installing it into a virtual environment for a few hours, so against conviction, i'll stick with a torrent for this look-see...
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: Aug. 18, 2009 03:35 PM by Mele20.)
Someone said to try running Proxo in compatibility mode. So, I did that and the wizard configured it to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode. That didn't help and the wizard then declared that Proxo is incompatible with Windows 7 and automatically sent a report to Microsoft.

I don't believe that. It's got be some setting that is prevent Proxo from responding. I'm wondering if it might work with Fx, just not with IE but I can't install Fx today on there to see.
I just saw your post after I posted again. For a long while, you could get Windows 7 from TechNet with NO Live Login needed but I don't think you can now as the last day to download it free is right about now. I hate that Live Login stuff also and I got it from TechNet but didn't install it until recently. I was surprised it was a fast download from TechNet and usually MS downloads are not fast for me.

I still cannot believe this anything more than some little setting. There is just no reason why Proxo shouldn't work. I wonder if it could be Virtual Box? Nah...I can't see how Virtual Box could have anything to do with it. It is almost daylight here and I have not slept...I'm off to bed.

Attached File(s)
.png  Tuesday, August 18, 2009 05;06;33001.png (Size: 35.59 KB / Downloads: 658)
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: Aug. 18, 2009 10:20 PM by ardarby.)
Don't know if this helps, but I'm using Vista Ultimate x64 and to get Proxo to work on it, I ended up creating my own [Program Files] folder and installing it there. I put the [PF] folder inside [Documents], for lack of a better place, but suspect anywhere would work.

I think it has something to do with permissions (don't ask, I don't know), but when running from one of MY folders, it works just fine.

Update

Just moved the [Program Files] folder and it works fine from new / different location.

Al
Aug. 19, 2009, 01:41 AM
I had no problems getting Proxo to work on Vista but it is 32 bit. 64 bit I think has more permissions issues as it is supposed to be more security minded than 32bit. I wonder if it could have anything to do with DEP? Probably not. The frustrating thing is that even though I am pretty familar with Vista, there are some significant differences in Windows 7 and I keep stumbling around trying to figure out how do something that is very easy to do in XP and that I still sometimes forget how to do in Vista because I just have it on a virtual machine that doesn't run all the time (and I'm older and more forgetful too). So, I am hindered in getting some solution because I don't know the OS. I couldn't believe that in order to find Administrative Tools yesterday that in Control Panel I had to choose "small icons". What does the size of the icon have to do with seeing all control panel items? On default icon size, you can't see Administrative Tools and lot of other items which doesn't make sense.

I wonder if installing Proxo in the default hidden Admin Account would solve any permissions problems?
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:15 AM
ps - i will NOT be able to test the 64-bit Win7...

my motherboard is 64-bit, i jumped onto that bandwagon and paid a high price to get one of the very FIRST 64-bit motherboards that ever came out... loaded up 64-bit XP and couldn't get half of my software/hardware to work in 64-bit...

formatted... went back to 32-bit... haven't looked back since...

jumping onto that bandwagon was the STUPIDEST thing i ever done computer-wise...

it was a VALUABLE lesson learned - you don't see me jumping that quad-core bandwagon for pretty much the same reason... my FIVE YEAR OLD AMD Athlon 64 3400+ keeps up with my brother's brand-spanking new quad-core "marketing ploy", piece of cake, hands down...

and mine only cost me about 20% of what his cost him...
and i WASTED money on 64-bit hardware !!!