(Help) Proxomitron for Mac OS X
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:07 AM
(Help) Proxomitron for Mac OS X
help me...I need proxomitron for OS X I'm using OS X ideneb 10.5.8...anyone have?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:53 AM
RE: (Help) Proxomitron for Mac OS X
Proxomitron runs only on Windows, not on Mac OS. If you want to block ads when browsing, you could use the Safari Block add-on for Safari or the Adblock Plus extension for Firefox. There are supposed to be some filtering extensions for Firefox that filter headers to some extent, but the last time I tried them, I was definitely not impressed with them.
You could also try BFilter for Mac. I am using it. It is here:
http://bfilter.sourceforge.net/download.php
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:15 PM
Well ... I've been running Proxomitron in Linux distros using Wine for quite a while (a few years).

Intel Macs can also run Wine, so I suggest that Proxomitron should then be able to run.

Here's a quote from WineHQ:

Quote:Current Status (x86)

Brief: Wine works beautifully (on Leopard at least, with nVidia 9400M graphics).

For Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6), see: Installing Wine on Mac OS X

I've never owned a Mac so I don't have personal experience, but there are several tutorials and articles available (maybe even on this forum?).
Here's one such article that looks decent:

http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Good luck.
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:48 AM
I would think that Prox running under Wine would be a bottleneck to the page loading speed.
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:14 AM
(Oct. 22, 2009 05:48 AM)Siamesecat Wrote:  I would think that Prox running under Wine would be a bottleneck to the page loading speed.

You would think. Unless you tried it. Smile!

So many things factor into page loading speed that it would be difficult to assign specific cause to any differences. However the end result is that I generally have a better overall experience while surfing in Linux (I use the same version number of FireFox with the same add-ons as I use on Windows).

Back when I first started using Linux, I used no proxy. Then I tried Privoxy in an effort to find some equivalent to Proxo (Proxo had been on my Windows machines for years at that point). Privoxy IS slow. So, slow I preferred going without a proxy. Then I finally got wise to Wine + Proxo, and it has been in use with several configs (Sidki's, with a few mods, exclusively) for several years.

By the way, I think NoScript and Adblock are slow, which is among the reasons why I don't use them for anything but testing, and it may also give you an idea of my intolerance for 'bottlenecks'.

Wine is really a misunderstood beast. It can also be intimidating if things don't work out-of-the-box, but I run several Windows apps (no games) via Wine, and speed has never been an issue. I should note that with some apps, you get a little quirk here and there with system tray functionality, font rendering, etc. Linux is very customizable, however, and the quirks often boil down to specific choices you have made in your system set-up:

- Does Proxomitron suffer from these issues?. Yes.
- Are the issues fixable or can they be mitigated or worked around? Yes.
- Will the same issues or different issues exist using Wine + Mac OSX? Don't know.

What's the biggest issue I have with Wine + Proxomitron on Linux? The font rendering in the filter management dialogs makes editing the matching rules a more difficult task than it is on Windows (and it is difficult on Windows, as well). My solution on both OSes: I use a real editor to make most changes to the filter set.

Bottom line for me: Proxomitron via Wine in Linux does not create a bottleneck.
Oct. 23, 2009, 05:51 AM
On my Mac, I have not found that Adblock Plus slows things down. I do not use NoScript. I do use YesScript to disable Javascript if its use actually causes problems.
Oct. 23, 2009, 07:31 AM
so you ALLOW a malicious script to do its thing then say, "oops, that one is malicious, i'll reformat and reinstall then block that one in the future" ???
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:47 AM
Adblock Plus blocks a lot of stuff. It has worked fine for me. I also use Blocksite to block sites that I think are not trustworthy. There is a lot less malware for Macs than for Windows also.