sidki-config: Jan 14 2009 beta 2
Jan. 19, 2009, 04:18 PM
RE: sidki-config: Jan 14 2009 beta 2
In addition to what ProxRocks said:
Did you remember to APPLY and SAVE the new setting? That's a common mistake Wink

BTW, I always RELOAD the config after SAVING (so I'm REALLY sure that it's doing what I told it to do!!).
This way you won't have surprises the next time you load the config again (after rebooting for example).
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 20, 2009, 03:39 AM
Hello again Sidki, ProxRocks, Kye-U or others who know these things,

Feel free to reply to this, if relevant, in a seperate thread, as I appreciate I have and am wandering off topic in this one.

On the odd occasion I try to bravely get my head around the code as exampled in IncludeExclude.ptxt, I always fail to grasp any generic logic in place and really struggle to make my own IncludeExclude entries if they are not specifically shown as examples to use. I have often tried and also re-read the help paragraphs at the top of that file and elsewhere.
I'm not talking about 'matching' techniques as in 'regular expressions', which I consider a whole different challenge altogether, but I mean the Prox filter on/off codes.

Is there a simple generic method I am failing to grasp, for how to make a filter on or off? It seems the code and syntax may differ if I am wanting to disable something which is currently universally on, or vice versa. More seems to be involved than simply changing a 0 to a 1, for example, and I think that is what always confuses me. I fail to grasp the concepts to be able to 'run with it'.
Am I missing something obvious or a generic logic?

Thanks,
Lee
Jan. 20, 2009, 12:43 PM
Over the past years i try to add keywords to filters with a logic -- From left to right: most general bypass to most specific bypass.

For instance, in the URL Match of "<script> Block: Ad Scripts" you see:
"(^$TST(keyword=*.(a_ads|a_js|a_adjs|a_adscr).*))".

Bypass: a_ads -> all ad filters | a_js -> all JS filters | a_adjs -> all ad JS filters | a_adscr -> just this filter.

The descriptions for each keyword are listed in IncludeExclude.html, in your local "sidki-etc" directory.
Jan. 20, 2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks, I'll read that again and again over a few days and I'll see if it sinks into my grey matter. Then try to build on it.
I don't think I'm classable as a stupid person, but when I get a blank on something it does seem hard to shift.
Smile!

Lee
Jan. 20, 2009, 07:36 PM
lol. I might as well have misunderstood you.

I thought you were looking for an easy way to turn off exactly one filter for a certain site.
If so, then normally the solution is to add this site along with the filter's rightmost "URL match keyword" to IncludeExclude-U.

So, if the site is http://mysite.com/ , and the webfilter is "<script> Block: Ad Scripts", then the entry would be:
Code:
mysite.com/  $SET(0=a_adscr.)
Jan. 20, 2009, 11:25 PM
(Jan. 20, 2009 07:36 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  I thought you were looking for an easy way to turn off exactly one filter for a certain site.

Yes, that's pretty much it.
Thanks again, it's sinking in.
Smile!

Lee
Jan. 24, 2009, 01:12 AM
Perhaps a candidate for the next update, a Tor proxy port is available by checking Proxo's "Use Remote Proxy" box, with one line added to the default.cfg

[Proxies]
OpenLog = TRUE

>localhost:8118 Tor

Connection security can then be tested manually at
http://network-tools.com/analyze/

The TOR/Privoxy/vidalia bundle is installed separately.
http://www.vidalia-project.net/
More info about Tor:
https://www.torproject.org/

Presumably, this hides IP addresses from online shopping & marketing statistics, but not if user logs occur before Tor-connection points. If so, ISP subpoenaed usage tracks remain visible, and illegality prosecutable, regardless of client's use of Tor.
Jan. 24, 2009, 03:21 PM
I think the Proxy list (like the AllowCookies list) is something personal and shouldn't be pre-filled by the config.
Also, you don't know for which port the user has a local proxy configured to listen. I for one always change the default ports (Prox listening on :8082).

Regarding Tor itself, i've never tried it but it appears to be popular, also among Proxomitron users.
Is the final IP address, the one that is visible to the content serving remote host, always changing or not?
Because for me, when troubleshooting, it would often be helpful if i could request pages with a US IP. (I have a German ISP, and "localized content" is hip these days.)
Jan. 24, 2009, 09:50 PM
OK, sounds like another candidate better suited to documentation.

Regarding localized content, every time I check the Tor IP trace it shows a different list of countries. Not sure if Tor might have some advanced setting for a preferred region? Tor's user interface does not.
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:12 PM
Tor itself provides a SOCKS interface on port 9050. SOCKS is more of a network transport mechanism, it's a "network proxy" method and not a "HTTP proxy" method. SOCKS can transport HTTP and it can transport other content.

Proxomitron does not handle the SOCKS protocol, so it can not be directly used with Tor. A common way to use it is to chain requests from Proxo through another HTTP proxy that knows SOCKS.

Proxo --(HTTP)--> Polipo or Privoxy --(SOCKS)--> Tor

Polipo and Privoxy are HTTP proxies that can be configured to forward requests through a SOCKS interface. Recent versions of the "Tor Bundle" include Polipo instead of Privoxy.

Tor can be Very slow to open TCP connections for HTTP because it bounces requests through several intermediate places before popping out at one of its exit nodes. Polipo does local HTTP caching to help reduce the need for Tor connections. It can also do its own pipelining of open server connections (even if a browser isn't pipelining) to help reduce the number of TCP connections needed through Tor.

(Jan. 24, 2009 03:21 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  Is the final IP address, the one that is visible to the content serving remote host, always changing or not?
The IP address seems to change every few minutes as Tor uses different exit nodes.

(Jan. 24, 2009 03:21 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  ... it would often be helpful if i could request pages with a US IP. (I have a German ISP, and "localized content" is hip these days.)
The Tor Manual in the Client Options section mentions ExitNodes and StrictExitNodes that may be useful.

You could try:
1. Browse https://torstat.xenobite.eu/
2. In the CC: box select "US" and click Search.
3. Click on the ">" below "Exit" in order for the list show only exit nodes.
- You might also want to do that for "Fast" and "Stable" nodes too.
- Make note of the Nickname of the exit nodes that you want to use.
4. Edit the "TORRC" file located in your \Application Data\TOR directory and add these 2 lines:
StrictExitNodes 1
ExitNodes nickname1,nickname2,nickname3, etc.
5. Start Tor
Jan. 24, 2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the detailed explanation, very enlightening! Smile!

It sounds like it would require me deeply diving into that matter, for which i don't have the time.

Some time ago i tried all sorts of anonymous proxies, remote ones and local clients. Then someone was so kind sharing a rock solid US proxy account with me. That worked well for several years, but a few months ago the account expired.

Anyway, the majority of localization problems was coming from Yahoo/Google. Since US/Canada located ProxRocks/Kye-U handle those from now on, at least these two major sites should work fine. Smile!
Jan. 26, 2009, 01:23 AM
Bugfix for "<object>...: Toggle Flash".
Example: http://www.virtualvideomap.com/ (defunct toggle when clicking a balloon - at least in Fx3)

Attached File(s)
.txt  toggle-flash_1-25.txt (Size: 3.04 KB / Downloads: 655)
Jan. 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
@sidki3003, thanks for the update but do you notice this issue?

I just made a test again. Some 0 byte flash files were created in IE temp folder. The connections were made too so you can see GET and RESP headers in the log window and the file length info in http://local.ptron/.pinfo/urls/.
Jan. 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
I assume you're talking about this comment:

(Nov. 29, 2008 12:38 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  sidki's original toggle filter, albeit effective in toggling, does NOT prevent the CONNECTION...

Correct.

Quote:go to a page with flash on it, do NOT toggle ANY of the flash "on"...
open your "what the Proxo is thinking" page...
you will note that not only was the CONNECTION established, but the ENTIRE .swf, every single MEGABYTE, has been downloaded...

Incorrect.

This is all some time ago, so i don't remember all details, but:
It was the best compromise for IE6 i was able to find. The problem was that IE (but not Gecko/Opera) was still downloading the entire Flash, even if the embed/object tag or its parent tag was set to display:none.

What i'm doing is:
- Accepting that IE is establishing the connection to the Flash document.
- Interrupting that connection ASAP. This is done by the onload event of an invisible image that i'm inserting before the Flash object. This event is swapping the object source with a dummy one, as soon as IE considers the object as part of the DOM.

In my tests i was seeing IE downloading the 1st 0-500 bytes. When clicking the toggle, IE was resuming the download (i.e. re-requesting from byte 0-500).

I haven't looked into z12's filter.
Jan. 26, 2009, 12:14 PM
(Jan. 26, 2009 11:53 AM)sidki3003 Wrote:  What i'm doing is:
- Accepting that IE is establishing the connection to the Flash document.
- Interrupting that connection ASAP. This is done by the onload event of an invisible image that i'm inserting before the Flash object. This event is swapping the object source with a dummy one, as soon as IE considers the object as part of the DOM.

In my tests i was seeing IE downloading the 1st 0-500 bytes. When clicking the toggle, IE was resuming the download (i.e. re-requesting from byte 0-500).

Cool!...
Thanks for the explano...