About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s)
Dec. 23, 2008, 08:01 PM
About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s)
Hi all,

After a while - i'm back to public Proxomitron, and i'll try to keep it that way. :-)
However, i will have less free Proxomitron cycles (due to monetary and other issues) than before (where it often came close to a full time job).

Sooo... to the config set: I've read and heard that quite some people are still using this set, so i assume that it is a good idea to keep it up to date.

The question is how... The status quo on my part is:
- I'm confident that i can maintain the generic stuff as well as a good part of the tracking/ad/malevolent site lists.
- I doubt that i will be able to maintain the site-specific subsets (Google, Yahoo, but also many adjustments hidden within IncludeExclude or similar lists) or check all site-specific help requests.
- As a start i can post a public config - with all basic stuff i come across working - within a week or two. "basic stuff" includes Google's and Yahoo's various front pages, but not their web applications. Also, the more complex changes i've announced after the last beta release are lost.

Some points to consider:
Apparently - in the long run - this config set can't be maintained by just one person. Again, a time-intense b/c frequently changing part are the site-specific filters. Maybe someone volunteers to take e.g. the Yahoo or Google package? Another possibility would be to drop this kind of filters.

Above mentioned site-specific subsets, but also quite some other filters (e.g. untanglers, media toggles) are strong candidates for public editing. To be successful, this needs to be done in an application environment that allows for history/undo/annotations *and* for entering code as is. IIRC MediaWiki isn't able to fulfill the latter part. Any ideas? What comes to my mind is "Google Code", but i haven't checked this.

*If* public editing, someone (person or group) has to have the final say. I'd suggest that i'll do that till we find a better solution.

Regarding discussion and support: This config set has its own subforum at CastleCops, which AFAIKT works smoothly and is easy to find. Apparently prxbx.com has become a discussion place liked by more experienced users.
Sidki-Set discussions at YG! prox-list seem to be only marginal. If reliable public filter-editing isn't possible at CC or prxbox, we'd need yet another location. Is this (three locations) okay?

Finally, thanks for your support! :-)

P.S.: I have post this message at CastleCops as well.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 23, 2008, 08:23 PM
RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s)
Thank God you're alright Smile!

I'd be more than happy to help with any aspect of the config set. That's a good idea: setting up a collaborative-system for developers, like a wiki. If you want, I can look into this and see what I can do about setting one up.

Keep in touch Wink

I'm sure people would be more than happy to donate some money your way; you just need to ask! Pervert

EDIT: I checked out Google Code, and it looks very promising. Only one drawback I can imagine is that it's file-based, and I'd think many people would be updating the main config file (e.g.: sidki_2008-01-02.ptron). Developers would have to report what filters they're modifying/creating, so that there are no conflicts.

EDIT 2: I might be able to create an exclusive Proxomitron config set project system where developers will have to log in, and are able to check in/check out "filters", which are in two sections: Web Filters and Header filters.

The interface could be similar to Proxomitron's: Byte limit, filter name, URL, etc, or it could be simply a textarea, where you'll just need to export the filter to the clipboard and paste it in the textarea. Font face would be courier new for everyone's convenience.

There'll be a master "Generate Config" button that grabs and formats the filters and generates a properly formatted file that Proxomitron will recognize as a config set. Anyone would be able to click on this at any time.

I need a project over the holidays, and this just sounds perfect Wink I'll give it a try if you think it's a good idea, Sidki.
Visit this user's website
Dec. 23, 2008, 08:53 PM
Awesome! Welcome back, my friend...
Dec. 23, 2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks!

(Dec. 23, 2008 08:23 PM)Kye-U Wrote:  I'm sure people would be more than happy to donate some money your way; you just need to ask! Pervert
I'm not good with hawking ;-) , but i'm thinking about setting up a PayPal button.

Quote:I need a project over the holidays, and this just sounds perfect Wink I'll give it a try if you think it's a good idea, Sidki.
Please do! And it doesn't mess with Proxomitron code, as CC's MediaWiki did, right? The problem were HTML entities/escapes like & nbsp; / & #x20; .

While we're still stuck with tedious manual synchronizing...
Regarding the bugfixed filters you posted in "Sidki 2008-01-02 Beta Updates", could you please check attached filters, and tell me which need corrections. And where?
Also, are there any other filter corrections posted here that we should synchronize?

When scanning the threads at CC, i saw Google and Yahoo, as expected. I'll post my current versions of the complete respective subsets at CC, is that okay? That way we have one central location for Google/Yahoo corrections.

At all -- regarding priorities. Anything i should check ASAP?

Attached File(s)
.txt  to-be-synced-w-kyeu.txt (Size: 12.95 KB / Downloads: 1168)
Dec. 23, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hallelujah !!! It's just wonderful to have you back !
Dec. 23, 2008, 09:45 PM
(Dec. 23, 2008 09:13 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  Thanks!

(Dec. 23, 2008 08:23 PM)Kye-U Wrote:  I'm sure people would be more than happy to donate some money your way; you just need to ask! Pervert
I'm not good with hawking ;-) , but i'm thinking about setting up a PayPal button.

Don't worry, me neither! Wink

(Dec. 23, 2008 09:13 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  
Quote:I need a project over the holidays, and this just sounds perfect Wink I'll give it a try if you think it's a good idea, Sidki.
Please do! And it doesn't mess with Proxomitron code, as CC's MediaWiki did, right? The problem were HTML entities/escapes like & nbsp; / & #x20; .

I'll make sure it doesn't! I'm thinking of the database structure right now, and what features I'll try to put in (revision history and code comparison (ability to restore an older version), filter order (numbering system))

(Dec. 23, 2008 09:13 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  While we're still stuck with tedious manual synchronizing...
Regarding the bugfixed filters you posted in "Sidki 2008-01-02 Beta Updates", could you please check attached filters, and tell me which need corrections. And where?
Also, are there any other filter corrections posted here that we should synchronize?

When scanning the threads at CC, i saw Google and Yahoo, as expected. I'll post my current versions of the complete respective subsets at CC, is that okay? That way we have one central location for Google/Yahoo corrections.

At all -- regarding priorities. Anything i should check ASAP?

I will do that after I come back; I need to go do some holiday shopping! Cheers
Dec. 24, 2008, 12:37 AM
Hehey!!! What a surprise, you came back to home for christmas hehehe!! Nice to see you again by here Wink

Kye, very nice project Smile!
Dec. 24, 2008, 02:52 AM
As to donations, I always thought that "bug bounties" or some sort of filter writing exchange where people post what they want, and filter writers indicate what donations they'd need to write it might be a good idea.

At least a donate button! Though I have no idea what people would be willing to donate towards filterset development.
Dec. 24, 2008, 08:11 AM
CastleCops is closed now =[

http://www.castlecops.com/

Quote:Greetings Folks,

You have arrived at the CastleCops website, which is currently offline. It has been our pleasure to investigate online crime and volunteer with our virtual family to assist with your computer needs and make the Internet a safer place. Unfortunately, all things come to an end. Keep up the good fight folks, for the spirit of this community lies within each of us. We are empowered to improve the safety and security of the Internet in our own way. Let us feel blessed for the impact we made and the relationships created.

With respect to the server marathon, by March 17 2009 CastleCops will refund contributions made through PayPal that were specifically designated for servers. Unfortunately, server donations made via check cannot be returned because we do not have the addresses for the donating entity. Unless instructed otherwise, CastleCops will re-allocate these funds as a donation to the Internet Systems Consortium (ISC.org). This organization sponsored our hosting environment for approximately the past 2 years. Please contact us [cc at laudanski dot com] before March 17, 2009, if you would like a return of your server marathon donation. Otherwise, we would like to thank the ISC for their unfettered support.

We thank everyone in creating our unique footprint and memories in time.

Love, Best Wishes and Happy Holidays, CastleCops
PST 23 Dec 2008
Dec. 24, 2008, 09:12 AM
Great news and sad news all at once.

I came here after reading Kye-U's post at dslreports regarding Castlecops closing from which I am still shocked and reeling. I thought maybe here I would find something about recovering the Proxo forums at Castlecops. I get here and see this thread and what a fantastic Christmas present to have you back Sidki! Smile! Smile!

Proxo means the world to me and I love your configs but they do need periodic development. I was beginning to really worry about Proxo and its future. I am very happy to see you back to public Proxomitron. As for donations, YES! I have said several times in forums at various sites that I think that those of us who love and use Proxo but don't know enough to be able to contribute meaningfully regarding filters, config sets, that we should have a way to send some money to those who do this work. Paypal...I hate it and am not a member. I got burned years ago by them. BUT, realistically, I know that is probably the best way to go so, if you do decide to use Paypal, I'll set up an account even though I'd like to never have to do business with them again, however, I feel you should get some compensation so I will do it.

KyeU, I think your offer and setup of a collaborative system for developers is great! I really appreciate all you do for Proxo holding the torch high and maybe you should be added to the Paypal button as your efforts have been critical in keeping Proxo going strong.

KyeU, is everything at Castlecops lost? Can the Proxo forums be saved and archived here? I guess even the page that Paul put up when he learned of Scott's death, and some of us contributed to it (your comment was right under mine I think), is gone also...your link to that page I assume is dead now. I wish we could retrieve that and the Proxo forums.
Dec. 24, 2008, 09:25 AM
(Dec. 24, 2008 09:12 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  KyeU, I think your offer and setup of a collaborative system for developers is great! I really appreciate all you do for Proxo holding the torch high and maybe you should be added to the Paypal button as your efforts have been critical in keeping Proxo going strong.

I'm glad everyone likes the idea of it Smile! I just finished a co-op term as a web developer, and I can say I've gained knowledge on designing web applications, and this is a good test to apply what I've learned. Hopefully it can be expanded in the future so that multiple config sets can be worked on simultaneously. Right now I'm working on random portions of code/functions and trying to get the logic straight (e.g. creating a new filter would automatically check that filter out to you, and updating a filter would automatically create a new row in the database and set the parent filter to use the new filter)

As for a PayPal button for myself, I feel that I would only need to accept donations if I were in dire need of money to keep prxbx.com alive (side note: I do plan to keep prxbx.com alive for as long as I live). The feeling of helping others is more than enough for me Wink Thank you for the kind gesture though! In the meantime, I'd ask that if Sidki does set up a PayPal donation system, that anyone who wishes to donate to me would donate to him instead.

(Dec. 24, 2008 09:12 AM)Mele20 Wrote:  KyeU, is everything at Castlecops lost? Can the Proxo forums be saved and archived here? I guess even the page that Paul put up when he learned of Scott's death, and some of us contributed to it (your comment was right under mine I think), is gone also...your link to that page I assume is dead now. I wish we could retrieve that and the Proxo forums.

I checked web.archive.org, and it seems Paul blocked them from archiving CC: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://castlecops.com

He also blocked Google from caching the forums: http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google...roxomitron Sad

EDIT: I hate to sound like I'm not shocked at the closing of CC, but technically we aren't TUOPF anymore, we're TOPF Shhh

EDIT 2: In order to accommodate for this, I'm very heavily leaning towards creating a forum for discussion around Sidki's Config Set. I'd be happy to create one also for Grypen (if he does come back Smile!). The forum structure would be: Sidki Config Set, Grypen Config Set, Misc. Config Sets, Website Customization, etc... (note that they won't be subforums, they'd be on the same "level" as "FIP" or "Privacy/Security/Spam".
Dec. 24, 2008, 11:18 AM
Welcome back sidki! Smile!

Sad to see cc is closed; but times are tough these days; and things change. As we get more and more connected (electronic gadgets) through the years, it seems we get busier and have less time for other things. I look forward to the filter projects in the future.

everyone have a great holiday. Cheers
Dec. 24, 2008, 12:34 PM
In these euforia days, i also share, for proxomitron world, I would like to share my/our wish/need for fusing the actual projects.
We saw the problem for the complexity of the config from sidki. Many people use it, but how many of them can maintain it? If sidki is not with us, his config would die in two years being the best config available. As he said, it has to be maintained for the community, not only for one person.
Soooo....NOW it's the perfect moment to create the FRAMEWORK everybody would need to share. Doing that, would be the only possibility to give more live to our proxos. Someday, z12, kye-u, proxrocks, sidki, me will leave this project, and will not have the sufficient time to do improvements/maintaining it.
If we fuse our project, step by step, first the framework, later the sidki or gripen config, also the Mele20/besafe/jp10558 config could be made easily.

Thats my hope for the next year: Our FRAMEWORK. And Grypen and Sidki would be really welcome

My best wishes for all Wink
-lnminente (Spain)
Dec. 24, 2008, 01:16 PM
Welcome back sidki, what a most excellent surprise. Smile!
It's like a proxo Christmas miracle!!!

It great to have you back and quite a relief to know your ok.
Your insight and contributions have been missed.

Sorry to hear about CastleCops, but I guess that wasn't a big surprise.
Since Paul left, the site seemed to be in a holding pattern.
Too bad there's no archives. What a loss.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas to all
z12
Dec. 24, 2008, 03:28 PM
Big Grin RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s)
It is wonderful to see you posting again!!! We've missed you!!! HailApplause

You said "I'm confident that i can maintain the generic stuff as well as a good part of the tracking/ad/malevolent site lists." Is it possible to save you a portion of that effort via use of a good 'hosts' file? For example, Proxo users could periodically install a merged hphosts+mvps+lowe hosts file. This can be done individually as desired, or I'd be happy to upload such a maintained one here as needed, because that's what I use. How's that sound?