Help for newbies: First filters
Dec. 05, 2008, 12:47 AM
Question Help for newbies: First filters
Welcome to this forum, this is the place for helping you to make your first filters working and learn some tricks.

We assume you have read at least the few pages of the help about proxo we recommended here, and its corresponding tutorial in W3Schools for the html code you want to filter.

Other useful help: How to find the filter which is causing problems

Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 19, 2008, 12:15 PM
RE: Help for newbies: First filters
It's seems many people doesn't know they can store their preferences for enabled/disabled filters.
To make proxomitron remembering your tastes, simply go to the proxomitron's main window and click in the icon with the green floppy (or yellow folder and the red triangle in the nicer version). If you didn't made changes the icon will be disabled/gray.

To forget the changes and revert to the last saved version, click the icon with the blue floppy (or rounded arrow in nicer version).
Dec. 21, 2008, 06:24 AM
(Dec. 19, 2008 12:15 PM)lnminente Wrote:  It's seems many people doesn't know they can store their preferences for enabled/disabled filters.
To make proxomitron remembering your tastes, simply go to the proxomitron's main window and click in the icon with the yellow folder and the red triangle. If you didn't made changes the icon will be disabled/gray.

To forget the changes and revert to the last saved version, click the icon with the rounded arrow.

Folder? Red triangle? Rounded arrow? You must be using a different version of The Proxomitron than the one on my machine. If I want to do those actions, I hit one of the two floppy-disk shaped icons in the main Proxo panel. The left-most one is described in the Help file as "Save configuration". If Proxo detects no changes to the current config, then that icon is grayed out. The right-most icon is used to re-load the current config - it can be used as often as one wishes, it should never be grayed out.

I'd dearly love to see a screen capture of your Proxo main panel. Big Teeth

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Dec. 21, 2008, 01:13 PM
personally, using Proxo to edit a TEXT FILE instead of using a good ol' fashioned TEXT EDITOR is part of the reason newbies get "lost" when trying out Proxo...

if newbies were directed to their TEXT EDITOR to edit their TEXT FILE, many confusions can be AVOIDED...
Dec. 21, 2008, 01:33 PM
Oddysey, updated thanks Wink

I recomend this method for remembering enabled/disabled filters. As PR says, of course better modify the filters using Notepad++ with its syntax highlighting Wink

Different interface variations:
http://www.geocities.com/sidki3003/prox-gui.html
http://forum.goeiedageven.nl/showthread.php?t=281
Dec. 21, 2008, 01:55 PM
i use MizzMona's GUI with various edits i've made to it...

http://www.mizzmona.com/proxomitron/gui/
Dec. 22, 2008, 04:47 AM
Ye Gawds, I must be living in the Stone Age! I didn't know that anyone had modified the interface like that!! Not that I'm gonna run right out and do that, I'm comfy with Scott's design, but still, it's nice to know that others have given it some thought. MizzMona's layout does look useful....

As for editing, ProxRocks, I'd have to wonder what you're aiming at here. If it's one of the lists, then I can safely say that I use Proxo, because it just turns around and calls up my main Text Editor (Utopia Planitia's MED). But if you're talking about messing with the ???.cfg file, that I'm not so sure is best done with a separate text editor. When I'm making changes to a filter, Scott's editing interface lets me immediately test my coding, without having to save/load the config/load the test page/rinse/repeat as needed. There's no contest, time-wise, doing it Scott's way.

And I guess I'm showing my own prejudices here, but it seems to me that the editing fields are all labeled pretty clearly, leading a user (new or otherwise) to pretty much entering the right kind of content in each field. (Even if not exactly the correctly needed content!) I could be wrong of course, I don't make it a habit to look over anyone else's shoulder as they're using Proxo to hose web sites to the best of their ability. Big Teeth

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Dec. 22, 2008, 05:37 PM
Have to say i don't open the full cfg in notepad++, i just paste the matching code in it to get helped with its syntax highlighting, and when the code is well i paste it again in the window of proxomitron and test it.