The Bloomin' Information Bar goes Boom!
Oct. 22, 2008, 07:18 PM
The Bloomin' Information Bar goes Boom!
All;

Well, I think I've done it..... get rid of that Damned Information Bar in IE6, as installed with Windows XP SP2. Big Teeth

The essence is, or essenses are:

1) If you wish to reply, no ranting about which browser may be better will be permitted. Any replies to the effect that "Browser X is better...." will be cheerfully deleted - this is not a 'craigslist rant-n-rave' forum, this is a discussion group where we exchange useful information. If you fail to find some of the information or the ensuing discussion useful, then perhaps you'd be better suited to wait until you espy a topic where your input would be more welcome. 'Nuff said.

2) Most, though certainly not all, XP users are on SP2, which came with a raft of updates to Internet Explorer. Without a doubt, the single most vexing "down-date" was the introduction of the Information Bar, obviously intended to protect you from yourself. As if you had no right to assume any kind of knowledge or experience in how to fight your way onto and back off of the Innerwebs without more scar tissue than necessary. Bah! Humbug, I say, HUMBUG! Mad with Teeth

Now, the usual method of disabling the blinking thing was to go into the Security Zones (Tools/Internet Options/Security) and either institute the lowest security settings (?!?!?) and turn off the Pop-up Blocker Notification, or just one of those two. Sad to say, there are two main drawbacks here - neither method works on it's intended target. Scheiße! Banging Head

The long and the short of it is, after spending about 3 hours on the Innerwebs this morning, I derived a much deeper method of getting the job done. I have to say, the first half of the clue came from an old member here, Bold-Fortune. He's still alive and kicking on his own forum, although I found the tip in another place entirely different.

To begin, get out your trusty Registry Editor, and nagivate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN

The only value on my machine was the important one, called "iexplore", and its data is a DWORD: 0x00000003 - change the numeral 3 to 1, and hit OK, but don't leave the Editor just yet.

Now, migrate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN

There should be 4 values here, all of them DWORDs, and set to 0x00000003. Again, as above, change them all to 1. But wait, don't go away, there's one more key to modify. Find your way to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults

My machine has 6 values here, and as before the datum are all DWORDs, and all set to 0x00000003. As a betting man, I'd lay odds that you all know what to do by now, eh? Wink

Now you can exit the Editor, and reset your machine to make the changes take effect. Presto! No more crap!!!!! Cheers

Does this promote safe web-surfing? No, can't say as it does. But what it does do is eliminate the ever-present Damned Information Bar that has the single effect of interrupting one's work flow. "Huh? How's that again?"

Well, it's like this. I started out to modify an HTML file with an ActiveX component in it. Or at least it allegely had one, I dunno, I just wrote the bloomin' thing, I didn't have anything to say about whether or not there were any ActiveX anythings in there or not. I suppose that comes from being a Qualified Dummy, and not a Microsoft Employee, do ya suppose? Sad

So everytime I wanted to edit the file, then view my changes, I'd get this bogus Information Bar that insisted that it was protecting me from some nefarious dastardly ne'er-do-well on the Innerwebs.... you know, the one who's looking at a file in regular Windows Explorer, isn't even connected to the network (I tried that, believe me, I was starting to think in strange ways....) and moreover, looks back at me every time I shave!! WTH, you mean to say I can't even trust myownself?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Why, that's........... (wait for it)

Odd!

Hence my sojourn across the dales and dells of the ubiquitous Innerwebs, in search of the Guru-on-the-mountain-top. I must've found something close enough for Prox-Rocks' work, 'cause I no longer suffer "hair-pullout-itis"! Big Teeth

HTH!

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 22, 2008, 08:07 PM
RE: The Bloomin' Information Bar goes Boom!
(Oct. 22, 2008 07:18 PM)Oddysey Wrote:  I must've found something close enough for Prox-Rocks' work

lol...
well, Google-ing that registry entry seems to confirm that your fix is indeed "the" fix...

so now for my next trick...
er, do you have any web sites i can go to that drop-down that info bar?

(ie, i'd like to "test" the before-and-aft reg. change and how my "IE shells" behave)... [notice, according to your "rule of the thread", that i didn't mention any "shell" by name Big Teeth]...

ps - i actually suspect there are more SP3 users out there than SP2 (i mean, paranoid me turns OFF "auto update", but AUTO is the "default" that 'most' users are probably using)...
Oct. 25, 2008, 06:56 PM
(Oct. 22, 2008 08:07 PM)ProxRocks Wrote:  er, do you have any web sites i can go to that drop-down that info bar?

Take a look at this thread:

http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1114

I remember seeing the yellow bar when I was on Microsoft's download site, and having to verify that I'm using a genuine version of Windows. Wink
Visit this user's website
Oct. 27, 2008, 02:14 AM
Can't you just navigate to Internet options>Advanced>uncheck fishing filter, and put a bullit in "turn off automatic web site checking" ?

I don't IE6 though; that option may not be there. I do not get the yellow information bar in IE7 or 8 with those settings.
Oct. 28, 2008, 05:01 AM
besafe;

Obviously someone in The Land Of Nod paid attention to all the customer complaints, and put that feature into later versions of IE. 'Tain't there in IE6, sorry to say.

But thanks for thinking of us! Wink

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!