Installing under F8/CentOS5.2
Aug. 24, 2008, 03:23 PM
Installing under F8/CentOS5.2
I had issues installing Bfilter v1.1.4 under CentOS5.2 and Fedora 8, due to the use of AutoPackage. I ended up having to work around it, but that turns out to be pretty easy. The key is that the .package file contains a tar.lzma file. If you have everything else installed - which you probably do in a standardish desktop GUI environment - then you can just use this rather than use all of the autopackage stuff, which broke for me.
Code:
% egrep --text '(compression|data_size)=' bfilter-gui-1.1.4.x86.package
will get you the info we need. To get the file out use
Code:
tail --bytes=1113910 bfilter-gui-1.1.4.x86.package > bfilter.tar.lzma
After this you'll need to install lzma packages - centos does not have any standard repos with lzma but they are available through a public repo http://pj.freefaculty.org/Centos/. Then just uncompress the file using
Code:
lzma < bfilter.tar.lzma > bfilter.tar
(and yes, you need to direct input into lzma and redirect the output to a new file). Then you can untar it and start using it. Hope this helps, sorry its not better formatted but this TinyMCE/FCKeditor window (whichever) isn't letter me enter new line characters, which is pretty lame. Colin.
Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 24, 2008, 03:37 PM
RE: Installing under F8/CentOS5.2
Thanks for the tip. This could be useful for those who experience problems with Autopackage.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 24, 2008, 06:35 PM
SORRY! Since I can't copy-and-paste I was typing and thus introduced a typo. The correct command is lzmadec, not lzma (which encodes, not decodes). E.g.
Code:
lzmadec < bfilter.tar.lzma > bfilter.tar
. I forgot to add that the number after
Code:
tail --bytes
is the value of data_size in the grep output. Also once you get your tar file to get it completely working I installed it in /usr/local/bfilter, thus:
Code:
(mkdir /usr/local/bfilter; cd /usr/local/bfilter; tar -xf ~/bfilter.tar)
Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 17, 2010, 06:10 AM
I have also check this one, Bfilter, out and find it more useful and admirable for the users. This software is much authentic and helpful for those people, who are using Autopackage and also facing some crucial problems as well.

work at home
houses for sale
Loan
Home Mortgage
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply