URL rewriting
Dec. 04, 2007, 09:14 AM
URL rewriting
First of all, thank you jart for BFilter. It's almost perfect, which is probably why you don't hear so much from your many happy users.

I do have one feature request, though. I would love to be able to add URL rewrite rules. I once used a Safari extension called PithHelmet, and I wrote a few rules for it to automatically take me to the printer-friendly version of pages on a few news sites I visit a lot. Being able to do a regexp find/replace on the actual URL being fetched is sufficient. Perhaps BFilter could just return a 307 temporary redirect to the browser.

Thanks,
Yotam
Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 04, 2007, 12:52 PM
RE: URL rewriting
I guess it should be possible to add the "REWRITE" action to urls and urls.local files, to be able to do things like:
Code:
REWRITE /(http://osnews.com)/story.php/(.*)/\1/print.php/\2/
Unfortunately, these days I am focusing on another open source project, while BFilter went into mainenance mode, as I was the only one working on it.

It's possible to achieve what you want with content filters, although I don't like this solution. Here is an example:

.png  screen.png (Size: 59 KB / Downloads: 594)
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 09, 2008, 03:29 PM
RE: URL rewriting
Hi jart,

I'm using BFilter for over one year now and I'm impressed how good it works. Nearly all ads are correctly filtered and no false positives. Thank you for this great tool!

(Dec. 04, 2007 12:52 PM)jart Wrote:  
Code:
REWRITE /(http://osnews.com)/story.php/(.*)/\1/print.php/\2/
Unfortunately, these days I am focusing on another open source project, while BFilter went into mainenance mode, as I was the only one working on it.

I second this request. I'm using the Google News Feeds and all links have an id to track the user which news he reads. It's not possibly to remove this via Javascript. Perhaps it is possible to add a feature to rewrite URLs via regexps if you have the time.

Anyway, thanks for BFilter!
Peon
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply