About the block lists
Oct. 01, 2007, 03:28 AM
About the block lists
In Proxom, it allows you to add additional block list files. What are some of the things you can do with this? Would it be possible to create a file that lists 'blocked websites' and have an associated filter that could reference this list, to remove content (blocked sites) from a search engine's results page? I hope that made sense.

I wasn't sure where to post this because I'm not asking for someone's help to create a filter if it's possible (although if you did, you would be king guru (or queen) in my book! LOL)

I was just wondering...
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 01, 2007, 05:08 AM
RE: About the block lists
There is already a filter in the original default.cfg file that came with Prox. It is called URL Killer: Kill-a-URL. It has the AdList (URL Killfile.txt) in there by default. You can add hostnames to that file, or make another file for that filter. That filter kills connections to anything in its blocklist so that the browser never makes contact with them.
Oct. 01, 2007, 11:47 PM
SeaLily Wrote:In Proxom, it allows you to add additional block list files. What are some of the things you can do with this? Would it be possible to create a file that lists 'blocked websites' and have an associated filter that could reference this list, to remove content (blocked sites) from a search engine's results page? I hope that made sense.

I wasn't sure where to post this because I'm not asking for someone's help to create a filter if it's possible (although if you did, you would be king guru (or queen) in my book! LOL)

I was just wondering...
Made good enough sense to me. Wink

Proxo's default filter set uses the Kill-a-URL list for stopping the browser from visiting any sites found on that list. Sadly, for your purposes, there's no default filter that removes links to those sites from the content of other webpages.

You can make your own filter though, and you should be able to use the same list to wipe out textual links to the undesired websites. If it doesn't seem obvious how to do this, just give us a shout, we'll help you through the process. Whistling

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Oct. 03, 2007, 08:09 AM
Oddysey,
Quote:Sadly, for your purposes, there's no default filter that removes links to those sites from the content of other webpages.
Kill-a-URL stops a connection to one of a list of hosts. Whether it is a direct attempt to browse there or a command to the browser from code on a web page, the connection will not happen, right? That was the whole point of having the blocklist there in the first place.
Oct. 05, 2007, 04:33 PM
Siamesecat Wrote:Oddysey,
Quote:Sadly, for your purposes, there's no default filter that removes links to those sites from the content of other webpages.
Kill-a-URL stops a connection to one of a list of hosts. Whether it is a direct attempt to browse there or a command to the browser from code on a web page, the connection will not happen, right? That was the whole point of having the blocklist there in the first place.
Quite true, yes. The way I read it, SeaLily wants to make that link itself to disappear from the text of whatever page(s). I do that on a regular basis with my Google results pages, eBay's "Featured Item" listings, some of my Yahoo Groups pages (I use the web interface, so as to not clutter my Inbox.) and several other places about and around the innerweb.

It's sort of like your modifying the background colors....... it's my way of getting a cleaner, leaner, meaner page that's more useful to me. Smile!

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!