Google Search Page Different
Aug. 13, 2016, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 14, 2016 07:54 AM by Callahan.)
Google Search Page Different
Seems that in the last few weeks ... the Google search page is acting different. Now today I am no longer able to see the dark blue Sidki Google search page as before.

I am seeing a white page with those stupid cartoon characters in motion. I have not changed anything to my knowledge.

Are others also seeing a change with the Google search page? I use the Sidki filter set and always use the dark blue default look.

I have played around some more with Google and I am no longer able to see the dark blue default page that is in the Sidki Filter Set. It is white with cartoon animation. I have two browsers ... K-Meleon v1.8.24 and Pale Moon Portable Atom/WinXP (32-bit). Both were OK before ... maybe in the last week ... I think I was seeing the dark blue Google page in the last week but I noticed it wasn't always the dark blue page. Sometimes it was and sometimes not. Now it appears to be gone for good.

Also, I wanted to try this filter set that I found yesterday but I can't get it installed.

Name = "Google Search: Alternate Display 13.08.10 (multi) [sd ku] (d.s)"

I don't have a lot of knowledge installing filters and always have to get help. These are the instructions that I saved ... maybe from 2012 for another filter set.

---------------------------------------------
Install Info

The two header filters are fairly simple. Copy one of them to the clipboard; Open the Proxomitron's HTTP Header Filter dialog; Left click any existing filter; Right click and left click "Import filters from clipboard"; Repeat for second header filter; Disable any
old versions of new filters; Click all the oks; Save config.

The sidki set needs some header filters to precede others. Adding header filters can change their order of application. Don't add "URL:" style header filters.

We have been using clicking "Configure -> OK -> Save -> Reload" several times on the Proxomitron's main dialog screen to force our desired header filter order.

Header filters are applied in the order that they appear in the config file, not the header filter dialog.

Webpage Filters:

Copy "Google_2012_08_19.txt" to the clipboard; Open the Proxomitron's HTML Webpage Filters dialog; Left click on "|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Google"; Right click and left click "Import filters from clipboard"; Disable all the filters in the old Google section. Click all the oks; Save config.

HTH
----------------------------------------------

My problem now is I am getting this "small box" in Proxomitron saying : "Sorry I can't find any filters in the clipboard. Make sure any text is formatted correctly."

I can see the filter set is copied to the clipview in XP.

How do I get Proxomitron to read it or find it on the "ClipBook Viewer" in Windows XP? I know in Windows 98SE ... it was called Clipboard and then the name was changed in Windows XP.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 13, 2016, 02:31 PM
RE: Google Search Page Different
(Aug. 13, 2016 03:04 AM)Callahan Wrote:  Are others also seeing a change with the Google search page?

No change here.
Is the Proxomitron filtering HTTPS? Are any filters working at Google search?

(Aug. 13, 2016 03:04 AM)Callahan Wrote:  How do I get Proxomitron to read it or find it on the "ClipBook Viewer" in Windows XP? I know in Windows 98SE ... it was called Clipboard and then the name was changed in Windows XP.

The filters in the clipboard must be properly formatted. Which post did you copy them from?
Aug. 13, 2016, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: Aug. 13, 2016 04:57 PM by Callahan.)
JJoe ... well I was able to get the one filter set into Proxomitron from the clipboard.

I don't know if I really needed that filter set but since it was for Google ... decided to add it ... found them in an older post discussion.

Name = "Google: action-menu to links 14.07.10 [multi] [ADD]" ... more detail at the end of this post.

OK ... it's good to hear that you are not seeing a change on your end. So it has to be something with my setup. I just did a backup one week ago of my XP setup so I may resort to running it later today. That will tell me if everything was OK when I made that backup.

You asked ... Is the Proxomitron filtering HTTPS? Are any filters working at Google search?

This is the address for my Google search that I have saved ...
https://www.google.com/

Is it possible something got unchecked in my setup ... I'm not really sure what to look for ... it is "https" in the address.

It seems like the other filters could be working ... no ads on the left or right. It seems to be the main page that is white with crazy animation running.

The filters in the clipboard must be properly formatted. Which post did you copy them from?

On the same page 01 ... a little further down was this thread.

Google: action-menu to links 13.04.28 [multi] [ADD] Not working any more

In the thread was this filter set ...

[Patterns]
Name = "Google: action-menu to links 14.07.10 [multi] [ADD]"
Active = TRUE
Multi = TRUE
URL = "$TST(hCT=*html)(www|encrypted).google.(*/)+{1}(intl/(*/)+{1}(^?)|search\?(^tbm=isch|*\&tbm=isch)|webhp|(^?))$SET(keyword=$TST(keyword=\1.(i_layout:[#*:0].)+\2)\1.i_layout:2.\2)"
Bounds = "<div class="action-menu ab_ctl">$INEST(<div,</div)</div>"
Limit = 2560
Match = "(*(<a( )\#[^<]++href="[h/][^<]+</a>)\#)+*"
Replace = " \@"

As I said earlier, they may not be anything that I need in my setup but not sure.

My mistake was that I did not "left click" exactly on the - |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Google line.

Webpage Filters:

Copy "Google_2012_08_19.txt" to the clipboard; Open the Proxomitron's HTML Webpage Filters dialog; Left click on "|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Google"; Right click and left click "Import filters from clipboard"; Disable all the filters in the old Google section. Click all the oks; Save config.

In the earlier part of those install instructions it says to "left click" any existing filter. That is what I was doing earlier and the filter set would not copy till I did a left click "only" on that one ... |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Google line.

"The two header filters are fairly simple. Copy one of them to the clipboard; Open the Proxomitron's HTTP Header Filter dialog; Left click any existing filter; Right click and left click "Import filters from clipboard"; Repeat for second header filter; Disable any old versions of new filters; Click all the oks; Save config."

I don't understand the instructions in the first part ... Can figure that out later. I want to get that ugly Google page back to dark blue.

thanks ...
Aug. 13, 2016, 05:23 PM
JJoe ... I have a second ThinkPad notebook that I also updated and backed up last Saturday. Just fired it up and went online and the Google search page is just fine ... dark blue and clean like always.

I guess we can put a stop on trying to figure this out ... I'm going to put my backup for that computer on as soon as I post this reply. I must have messed something up or something got messed up from being on the internet.

I will post again my results after running the backup from last Saturday. I'm sure it will be OK ... always great to have a backup for these problems that sometimes pop up.

thanks ...
Aug. 13, 2016, 10:37 PM
JJoe,

All is well with my laptop again ... I noticed a few other things that were not right before I ran the backup. Everything is fixed ... a nice dark blue Google page again.

Have no idea what messed everything up.

May be back down the road with more questions about installing or updating filters.

Thanks ...
Aug. 14, 2016, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 14, 2016 04:46 AM by JJoe.)
(Aug. 13, 2016 04:47 PM)Callahan Wrote:  Webpage Filters:

In the earlier part of those install instructions it says to "left click" any existing filter. That is what I was doing earlier and the filter set would not copy till I did a left click "only" on that one ... |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Google line.

"The two header filters are fairly simple. Copy one of them to the clipboard; Open the Proxomitron's HTTP Header Filter dialog; Left click any existing filter; Right click and left click "Import filters from clipboard"; Repeat for second header filter; Disable any old versions of new filters; Click all the oks; Save config."

I don't understand the instructions in the first part ... Can figure that out later.

The header filters are self ordering. The Proxomitron puts them where it wants. So order is not affected by where you click.

You can and sometimes must order Web Page filters. So where you click matters. However, clicking 'exactly' shouldn't matter. I suspect something was off, either format or file access.

You may see filters being applied in the Proxomitron's log window.

A few days ago, some of my filters failed after an update on Win10. http://local.ptron/.pinfo/lists/Exceptions-U showed multiple incorrect list entries. I verified and saved the list, shut down and restarted the Proxomitron. I'm not sure what actually fixed things. I'd like to experience it again before I report it.

Glad all is well.
Aug. 14, 2016, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 14, 2016 10:13 AM by Callahan.)
Well, I have a real mystery on my hands. Yesterday when I posted ... after doing the backup ... that all is well and the Google dark blue page was back. Well, after about 20 minutes it was gone and the ugly white page was back with the cartoon animation.

I didn't come back to post about it ... I got offline and did the backup again ... so all was well again ... the dark blue Google page was back but this time it only lasted about an hour.

So early this morning today I did the backup again and all was just fine with the Google dark blue page back ... everything running great. However, this time I was checking the page every 5 minutes or so ... to see if it was still OK and it was. I would go to various web sites in my "Favorites" folder like I have always done. I would check Google every so often and everything was OK.

So I sort of forgot to keep checking ... just checked a few minutes ago and the ugly white page with the animations is back. Once that dark blue Google page is gone ... I can't get it back with any adjustments or junk cleaning. I have to reinstall the backup copy.

So it must be something online or a website or a cookie or cookies messing everything up. This wasn't happening in June or July but seems to have started in August ... maybe just this past week since doing my last backup on Aug 6th.

I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem. I am going to put the backup on again and keep checking Google to try an see when the Google page is changed or what site might be changing everything.

I clean the cookies out a lot ... Google always plants a lot of cookies on my machine ... but I always have cleaned cookies out for years and this was never happening.

K-Meleon has a nice cookie cleaner called CookieCuller ... I've used it for years.

I'm baffled at this time ... everthing is just fine with the Google dark blue page and then it's not.

If anyone is having the same problem ... please share information if you have it figured out ... even if you don't have a solution but you are having a similar problem.

thanks,

Callahan
Aug. 14, 2016, 02:08 PM
Which browsers are affected? Your operating system?
Did this start after a browser update or mod?
Have you tried after clearing the browser's cache and cookies and closing the browser?
Aug. 14, 2016, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: Aug. 14, 2016 08:55 PM by Callahan.)
OK ... I have had the computer on mostly for over 6 hours ... going to various web sites, cleaning cookies, junk ... using a password or two at some sites. Shut the computer down and restart ... back on the internet and the Google search page is OK ... dark blue.

I don't know ... I will keep checking the rest of the day.

"RE: Google Search Page Different
Which browsers are affected? Your operating system?
Did this start after a browser update or mod?
Have you tried after clearing the browser's cache and cookies and closing the browser?"

In answer to your questions ... mostly use the K-Meleon browser but when the dark blue Google page is gone and replaced by the ugly white page ... it is also gone if I start the Pale Moon browser. It's just gone for good.

Operating system is Windows XP SP3 ... haven't done any updating to the browsers except for the flash dll ... current version 22.0.0.209 ... from July I think.

Yes, the browsers are set to clean everything when they are shut down and I clean cookies when they are running ... after visiting several sites. I have been doing that for years.

I will see what happens today and tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra ... well as I posted this ... guess what the ugly white Google page is back ... I checked the Google search page several times as I was typing the post a few minutes ago ... it was just fine, dark blue and clean. I didn't log out after posting ... I opened another window and went to a flash check site to check my current flash version. I did not go there before ... but decided to try the Google search page again ... it was changed to the ugly white page.

I don't know what triggered the page to change. I just can not get it back so I will have to do the backup again.

Going to probably have to give up on dark blue Google page. I am getting tired of running the backup several times a day.

I will keep trying to figure this out ... if someone else also starts having this problem ... then it may be of help. Otherwise, I will have to figure this is an isolated case ... I may try putting the older version of flash player back on and see if there could be some connection with this newer version.

I haven't really updated anything but that on the browsers ... I manually put the flash update in the "plugins" folder.

It would be great if I could fix it and not have to resort to that backup several times a day.

I have uploaded a picture of that white Google page. Not sure if it did upload. I see it did upload but it is also moving animation on the computer screen.

---------------------------------------------------
Added: I was wrong about both browsers ... K-Meleon and Pale Moon ... showing the ugly white Google search page. The dark blue Google page is still showing with the Pale Moon browser but the K-Meleon browser is still showing the white page.

However, yesterday I'm sure both browsers were showing the white page.

It may be that I have not used Pale Moon much today ... so it has not had a chance to go bad or lose the dark blue Google page. I don't know ... I will use the Pale Moon browser and see if the ugly white page shows up eventually. I know yesterday both browsers were showing the white page.

Attached File(s)
.gif  Google.gif (Size: 33.87 KB / Downloads: 567)
Aug. 14, 2016, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: Aug. 14, 2016 10:14 PM by Callahan.)
Decided to remove the K-Meleon folder from my computer and I put a backup copy that I keep on a flash drive.

I did not put the whole hard drive backup on ... just replaced the KM folder. The Google dark blue page is back. Maybe something corrupted the other K-Meleon folder. Now that the blue page is back ...I will have to see how long it actually does last.

Maybe some connection with all this.

Will post back later in a day or two, if all is still OK.
Aug. 15, 2016, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: Aug. 16, 2016 05:07 AM by Callahan.)
Well I thought the problem was fixed until the white Google page came back today. This morning I went back to an older backup and updated everything. It did seem to work for about 8 hours.

I have used this version of K-Meleon for almost three years and never had any problem with Proxomitron. The only change I made to K-Meleon in the last two weeks was updating the flash plugin from the ESR version to the Standard version.

I have been using the ESR flash plugin version for years and at the end of July changed to the Standard version. That was because Adobe announced that the ESR version is going away in October.

If anyone uses the ESR vesion ... Adobe posted this ... I am not posting the whole paragraph ... just the important stuff.

"Extended Support Release - Flash Player 18.0.0.366 (Win & Mac)

ATTENTION: Important Changes to Extended Support Release

As a result, we have decided to discontinue the ESR branch and instead focus solely on the standard release.

To permit organizations sufficient time for testing and certification, the ESR will be maintained and updated until October 11, 2016, after which point organizations will need to transition to the standard release."

I am wondering if there could be a connection with the standard flash release that I switched to ... I have put the ESR release back on to see if the Google page will still change.

I have no clue for anything else ... everything was fine until the last two weeks or so.

---------------------------------------------------------

Added - A quick experiment I did earlier today after I used my K-Meleon backup to get the dark blue page back once again. I decided to remove the flash plugin from K-Meleon and also Pale Moon ... it seemed only seconds that both browsers lost the dark blue Google page and had the ugly Google white page.

Now I have the latest ESR flash plugin installed ... Extended Support Release - Flash Player 18.0.0.366 ... so far both browsers are OK. I will see how this works out for the next few days.
Aug. 16, 2016, 08:05 AM
I may have found the cause of the problem but not 100% sure. Sometimes I have to put Proxomitron on "Bypass" for certain websites or for a video to play. I have done this through the years and with with the checkmark on Bypass ... the dark blue Google page would temporary go away until I removed the checkmark and maybe ran CCleaner. However, the dark blue Google page always was back after removing the Bypass check and running CCleaner.

Now that does not happen ... I had the blue page back and then I put Proxomitron on Bypass and the white page is there but removing the checkmark from Bypass and doing a quick cleaning and restarting the browser does nothing ... the dark blue page is gone for good until I replace the K-Meleon folder. Then the checkmark on Bypass brings the white Google page back for good.

That must have triggered the white page showing up over the weekend but there may have also been something else that triggered the white page replacing the Google blue page ... but now it becomes permanent. It wasn't like in June and July and before. It could easily be changed back to the dark blue page.
Aug. 17, 2016, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: Aug. 17, 2016 10:21 AM by Callahan.)
Just to wrap this up ... I seemed to have fixed the problem with the Google dark blue page. I have no idea what the exact problem was but it seems to be fixed.

My solution was to go back to a backup made in January ... everything was fine with that backup, then I slowly updated everything to August.

I went 2 or 3 items at a time and then would get online to test the Google page ... it was OK ... then I would get offline and add or do a few more updates. It took awhile but I finally got to the end of updates and everything was still OK.

I quickly made a new backup and today ... everything is still working good.

So I have no real clue what the problem was but the older backup seems to have worked.

Going to run everything as is for a week or so ... just to be sure the problem is gone and then I can relax.
Oct. 24, 2016, 08:08 AM
Well after all this time ... I have some new knowledge of the Google problem I was having ... and still having as I post this. I have narrowed or pinned down the cause but I have no solution.

It is something with the K-Meleon browser version that I am using. I currently use an older version that I got from the KM Forum. I never noticed this since I have used this version, that the dark blue Google page would disappear eventually. Maybe it always did do this and maybe it just started this year. I just don't know.

However, I also use the Pale Moon Portable Intel Atom and Windows XP build browser and the Google page is still dark blue with that browser. I had posted earlier that it also had changed ... just like the KM browser but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I was trying and checking so many things back then and everything was really messed up ... till I would install my system backup again.

So I have no solution but the Google problem seems to be only with this older version of K-Meleon that I am using ... I haven't tried the newer version of K-Meleon that is current. I like this older version so I will adjust to that one problem and also use Pale Moon v26.5.0 (portable).
Nov. 02, 2016, 10:09 PM
(Oct. 24, 2016 08:08 AM)Callahan Wrote:  So I have no solution but the Google problem seems to be only with this older version of K-Meleon that I am using ...

K-Meleon was one of the browsers that would resist clearing its cache.

Could be that you bypass the Proxomitron more often now and K-Meleon is caching an unfiltered property. Just clearing the cache may not restore order because older K-Meleons did not always cooperate. Try clearing the cache and restarting K-Meleon.