[S] Videos at IMDb
Apr. 16, 2011, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: Jun. 12, 2011 11:41 PM by Kye-U.)
[S] Videos at IMDb
I've been trying to find out what's blocking the movie trailers at IMDb - like the one linked by the "watch trailer" button on this page. I found that bypassing i.media-imdb.com/ will allow the trailer to play, but that's not an ideal solution because IMDb loads a lot from that address including backgrounds that I like to filter. So with hours of experimenting, I narrowed it to a particular set of exceptions that will allow the video.

Two of the exceptions were already in my list, as well as 3 more that allow js links. I added the new one below the other 5 and things were working. BUT.... after deciding that that wasn't the cleanest look for the list and moving the new one up with the old ones, the video stopped working. This has been confirmed with repeated tests.

So for example, this works

Code:
## imdb trailers
i.media-imdb.com/         $SET(0=a_js.)
www.imdb.com/         $SET(0=i_noscr:2.)

## allow imdb photo/video links to work
i.media-imdb.com/            $SET(0=a_jslink.)
static.ak.fbcdn.net/            $SET(0=a_jslink.)
www.imdb.com/            $SET(0=a_jslink.)

## allow imdb trailers to play
i.media-imdb.com/            $SET(0=a_adscr.)

But this doesn't:

Code:

Why does the order here matter?

I should add that the video, inexplicably, did play once without the new exception.

It's frustrating to say the least. If there's a proxo-scientific method for narrowing these things down to the precise offender and knowing where to place them in the list, I'm not aware of it. I've been staring at the log and the dbug page for hours while unchecking/reloading and adding various keyword codes to the Exceptions-U list after "i.media-imdb.com". It seems like it should be simpler than this. I thought using the dbug page and looking for matched code was the proper method, but the only matched code with "i.media-imdb.com" in it was triggered by the "Remove: Ad Scripts - Noscript" filter. Unchecking that one didn't help. I finally decided to add "0=a_adscr" to the Exceptions list because it was listed in the "site" keywords at the bottom of the video container.

Is there a step by step method for discovering the cause of issues like these where the goal is to minimize the limits placed on the filter?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Apr. 16, 2011, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: Apr. 16, 2011 07:10 PM by JJoe.)
RE: Videos at IMDb
Quote:Why does the order here matter?

The Proxomitron does not search the list for all matches. It stops looking after the first match is found. So for

Code:

"i.media-imdb.com/ $SET(0=a_js.)" was not found because "i.media-imdb.com/ $SET(0=a_jslink.)" was found first. The video did not play because "i.media-imdb.com/ $SET(0=a_js.)" was not found.

List matches need to be unique.

Exceptions-U Wrote:# URL expression syntax:
# Exactly one page: http://www.mysite.com/mydir/mypage.html
# One hostname: http://www.mysite.com/
# The whole domain: ([^/]++.|)mysite.com/
# All subdomains: [^/]++.mysite.com/
# All primary subdomains: [^.]+.mysite.com/
# All primary subdomains except "www": [^.]+.mysite.com/&(^www.)
#
# Each URL expression must match only once!
# Incorrect:
# [^.]+.yahoo.com/ $SET(0=a_rdlink.)
# login.yahoo.com/config/ $SET(0=a_redir.)
#
# Correct:
# [^.]+.yahoo.com/&(^login.yahoo.com/config/) $SET(0=a_rdlink.)
# login.yahoo.com/config/ $SET(0=a_redir.)
#
# You can apply multiple exception keywords to the same entry by
# concatenating them, each keyword followed by a dot:
# http://www.dummysoftware.com/ $SET(0=a_js.a_ads.)

Quote:I should add that the video, inexplicably, did play once without the new exception.

I'll guess, a 'good' copy of a file in the browser's cache was used to render the page. The browser can complicate things.

I think I've narrowed it down to "Remove: Ad Functions II - Code 10.08.08 [jd sd] (d.3 l.3)" in http://i.media-imdb.com/images/SFb4b030a632105db0cc5322dd6c9320be/js/cc/ads.js

Try

Code:
## imdb trailers
i.media-imdb.com/images/[^/]+/js/cc/ads.js $SET(0=a_adfn2.)

www.imdb.com/             $SET(0=a_jslink.)

Does it work as desired?
These trailers are coming from doubleclick, btw.

Quote:It's frustrating to say the least.
Quote:I've been staring at the log and the dbug page for hours

It would have been ok to ask sooner. I don't think you knew enough.

Quote:I thought using the dbug page and looking for matched code was the proper method,

It can be but you probably didn't do something like this http://i.media-imdb.com/images/SFb4b030a632105db0cc5322dd6c9320be/js/cc/ads.js?prx-command=dbug..

Quote:Is there a step by step method for discovering the cause of issues like these where the goal is to minimize the limits placed on the filter?

I went to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/ , clicked the button that took me to http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1067647257/ , and found that the video did not load.
Added "i.media-imdb.com/ $SET(0=a_js.)" and eventually video loaded. It appeared to be a problem with an external script from i.media-imdb.com/
Commented out i.media-imdb.com/ entry.
Opened the set's menu and clicked on "show 33 scripts".
"Scripts in http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1067647257/" opened.
The second external script shown was http://i.media-imdb.com/images/SFb4b030a632105db0cc5322dd6c9320be/js/cc/ads.js.
dbugging "ads.js" lead me to "Remove: Ad Functions II - Code 10.08.08 [jd sd] (d.3 l.3)"
Added i.media-imdb.com/images/[^/]+/js/cc/ads.js $SET(0=a_adfn2.) to Exceptions-U
Cleared browser's cache
Watched trailer

Your browser may allow a trick that may make things easier. When you suspect a problem with external scripts, clear the browser's cache, enable "HTML Debug info" via the Proxomitron's log window, and then click "show ?? scripts" in the set's menu. The "Scripts in" window may show dbug for all the external scripts.

Also, the browser's Error Console may help and there are things like Firebug.

HTH

Attached File(s)
.jpg  ScriptsInDbug.jpg (Size: 206.55 KB / Downloads: 841)
Apr. 17, 2011, 07:40 AM
(Apr. 16, 2011 07:09 PM)JJoe Wrote:  The Proxomitron does not search the list for all matches. It stops looking after the first match is found... List matches need to be unique.

Whoa... I've been using Proxomitron for years and never knew that. I'll have to go back and check all my other entries. On the surface it seems like it could be limiting.

Quote:I'll guess, a 'good' copy of a file in the browser's cache was used to render the page. The browser can complicate things.

Absolutely. I've observed some crazy behavior from Firefox, such as repeatedly clearing the cache but not being able to get rid of a filter's effect until FF is restarted. That makes testing difficult because it only happens sometimes, so you never know for sure unless you restart the program.

Quote:Does it work as desired?

Yes, it does. Thank You!

Quote:Added "i.media-imdb.com/ $SET(0=a_js.)" and eventually video loaded.

If you had just discovered that the video would not load, how would you know to do this?
I spent a lot of time experimenting, putting the domains in the bypass list until the video worked and then put keywords by that domain in the Exceptions-U list that were in matched filters on the dbug page.

Quote:Commented out i.media-imdb.com/ entry.

It was already in your list?

Quote:Opened the set's menu and clicked on "show 33 scripts".
"Scripts in http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1067647257/" opened.
The second external script shown was [url=http://i.media-imdb.com/images/SFb4b030a632105db0cc5322dd6c9320be/js/cc/ads.js]

How did you know to pick that one out of the 33 shown?

Quote:dbugging "ads.js" lead me to "Remove: Ad Functions II - Code 10.08.08 [jd sd] (d.3 l.3)"

Of all the things matched on that dbug page, how do you know which one?

Quote:Your browser may allow a trick that may make things easier. When you suspect a problem with external scripts, clear the browser's cache, enable "HTML Debug info" via the Proxomitron's log window, and then click "show ?? scripts" in the set's menu. The "Scripts in" window may show dbug for all the external scripts.

It does work, but it's still 35 scripts, each one with many matches to choose from. How to know which one?
Apr. 18, 2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:If you had just discovered that the video would not load, how would you know to do this?

I would suspect (educated guess) a problem with an external script. The "Scripts in" window would show 16 external scripts from "i.media-imdb.com" and 1 from "www.google-analytics.com". I would doubt the problem was with "www.google-analytics.com". So, I might add "i.media-imdb.com/ $SET(0=a_js.)" to test my guess or simply examine the files.

Quote:It was already in your list?

No, I added it to test my guess and your "solution". I had to disable it and clear the browser's cache to be able to see the broken code again.

Quote:How did you know to pick that one out of the 33 shown?
Quote:Of all the things matched on that dbug page, how do you know which one?

Curiosity, "ads.js". Wink While examining the file, I saw code for flash and many matches for "Remove: Ad Functions II - Code" (which has caused problems before).
Had I not been curious, I could have searched the files for the flash code. For example, "flashvars" is only found in "ads.js".

Quote:It does work, but it's still 35 scripts, each one with many matches to choose from. How to know which one?

I see it as a puzzle like twenty questions, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Questions . As we learn and gain experience, we ask better questions.

I should mention, "minimal" or "light" mode should allow the video to play without list additions.

HTH
Apr. 18, 2011, 06:02 AM
It looks like it will take more experience reading matched code to be able to recognize problems easily. I see all the matches and haven't known where to start. Is there a way to eliminate most of them? For example, on most pages there are many matches at the top: "all mark start" "all mark end" "js mark start" "js mark end" "html mark start" "html content" etc. Can these and their counterparts at the bottom like "open tags" and "remove dupes" usually be ruled out? Are the main offenders usually other js-related filters when video is blocked?

Also, I notice in the filter's keyword section they are often combined like this "(a_ads|a_js|a_adjs|a_jsmod)" If that filter is the problem, should all of the keywords be added as listed separated by "or" symbols? Actually I was under the impression that a_js was like a master switch that included all the other js words.

Quote:Had I not been curious, I could have searched the files for the flash code. For example, "flashvars" is only found in "ads.js".

I'm guessing that searching for flash codes in .js files may speed up finding solutions. Most of the problems I've had with Proxomitron have been video related.

Will fixes like the one you found for IMDb be incorporated into a future config? It would be nice to have a permanent thread containing nothing but confirmed fixes that have been approved by experts here. That way anyone new could easily add them and make it up-to-date.
Apr. 18, 2011, 03:12 PM
Quote:I see all the matches and haven't known where to start. Is there a way to eliminate most of them? For example, on most pages there are many matches at the top: "all mark start" "all mark end" "js mark start" "js mark end" "html mark start" "html content" etc. Can these and their counterparts at the bottom like "open tags" and "remove dupes" usually be ruled out? Are the main offenders usually other js-related filters when video is blocked?

http://sidki.proxfilter.net/prox/sidki-e...ations.txt

Quote:Ranking:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

d. defaults to on
o. defaults to off

.r required for other filters to work
.s site specific

.0 ~zero risk to break pages
.3 considerable risk to break pages

Mode:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

l.2 active in Light Mode and above
l.3 active in Standard Mode and above
l.4 active in Advanced Mode and above
l.5 active in Debug Mode

Most of the filters tagged as "d.r" do not affect the source code and are probably harmless. These include, "all mark start", "all mark end", "js mark start", "js mark end", "html mark start", "open tags" and "remove dupes". "Block/Modify: Sel. JS Methods" and some of the header filters may be exceptions.

"Remove: Ad Functions II - Code" is 1 of the 5 web page filters rated "d.3", "considerable risk to break pages".

Quote:Are the main offenders usually other js-related filters when video is blocked?

I rarely view videos but it does seem so.

Quote:Also, I notice in the filter's keyword section they are often combined like this "(a_ads|a_js|a_adjs|a_jsmod)" If that filter is the problem, should all of the keywords be added as listed separated by "or" symbols? Actually I was under the impression that a_js was like a master switch that included all the other js words.

(^$TST(keyword=*.(a_ads|a_js|a_adjs|a_adfn2|i_level:[12]).*))
instructs the Proxomitron not to match when the keyword contains ".a_ads." OR ".a_js." OR ".a_adjs." OR ".a_adfn2." OR ".i_level:1." OR ".i_level:2."
"a_js" disables many filters. "a_adfn2" only disables "Remove: Ad Functions II - Code". You don't need to use both "a_js" and "a_adfn2".

Quote:Will fixes like the one you found for IMDb be incorporated into a future config? It would be nice to have a permanent thread containing nothing but confirmed fixes that have been approved by experts here. That way anyone new could easily add them and make it up-to-date.

Good question. Regardless, I'm sure that some users do not consider this to be a solution. This solution allows connections to doubleclick, edgesuite, and amazon for ???
Apr. 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
Thank you. That really helps. I never knew what the letters at the end of filter titles meant.

I'm sure I'll be returning to this thread as a reference for several things.
Jun. 24, 2011, 03:53 AM
RE: [S] Videos at IMDb
IMDb videos aren't working for me again, (example here) but I've found part of the reason. About a month ago I noticed that AdHosts and AdDomains were no longer blocking URLs, so after comparing old configs I found that Block Ad URLs needed to be active, so I checked it. Unchecking it allows the video to play, but that's not really a solution. I've tried adding a_ads and adurl_h to the exceptions agreed upon earlier in the thread, but haven't had any success.
Jun. 25, 2011, 03:19 AM
(Jun. 24, 2011 03:53 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I found that Block Ad URLs needed to be active, so I checked it. Unchecking it allows the video to play, but that's not really a solution. I've tried adding a_ads and adurl_h to the exceptions agreed upon earlier in the thread, but haven't had any success.

That filter is inactive because it is ".3 considerable risk to break pages" and may require considerable good questions to use well. Wink

Try

Code:
## imdb
## allow imdb photo/video and facebook links to work  > a_jslink
## allow access to doubleclick from IMDB when using
### optional !-|||||||||||| URL: Block Ad URLs header filter  >  $SET(1=adurl_h:0.)
i.media-imdb.com/images/[^/]+/js/cc/ads.js $SET(0=a_adfn2.)
www.imdb.com/(*doubleclick$SET(1=adpath:0.)|$SET(0=a_jslink.))
ad.doubleclick.net/ $OHDR(referer:http://www.imdb.com/images/a/ifb/doubleclick/expand.html*) $SET(1=adurl_h:0.)

Please understand that many won't consider this to be a bug. It's a 'fix' for an option that allows access to doubleclick and edgesuite. I added $OHDR(referer:http://www.imdb.com/images/a/ifb/doubleclick/expand.html*) to limit the exposure; you may need to modify this.

HTH

Hmmm... I wonder how much trouble an "Are you sure" alert for distasteful requests would add...
Jun. 28, 2011, 07:24 AM
It works! Thank you. Now if I only understood how. Several questions:

What is $OHDR and what is it doing to that URL?

I'm not sure how this one functions either:
Code:

What is the function of "doubleclick" before the $SET command and why is there an "or" separating them? Normally there is space before $SET.

Is there significance to the extra "#" in the third line?

I'm not sure what the proper definition of "bug" is here. I'm not suggesting that the original intent of the filters/lists is flawed. It's just that when the desired content on a major site is blocked, some kind of "fix" seems warranted. In fact I've often wondered if there's not a broader solution to the filter set's issues with video. "Are you sure" alerts would be FAR preferable to having to bypass Proxomitron, clear cache and reload the page, which is what happens with video on a number of sites. And I'm a little perplexed by why no one else seems to have an issue with this.
Jun. 29, 2011, 04:35 AM
Clicked "Post reply" and my post disappeared...
Will retype tomorrow.
Sorry.
Sleep
Jun. 30, 2011, 04:32 AM
(Jun. 28, 2011 07:24 AM)zoltan Wrote:  What is $OHDR and what is it doing to that URL?

$OHDR allows access to the request's outgoing headers, http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Matc....html#OHDR . In this case, requests to ad.doubleclick.net/ will be allowed when the referer matches http://www.imdb.com/images/a/ifb/doubleclick/expand.html*.

(Jun. 28, 2011 07:24 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I'm not sure how this one functions either:
Code:

What is the function of "doubleclick" before the $SET command and why is there an "or" separating them?

When "doubleclick" is part of the imdb URL's path, the adpath variable is set to allow access, $SET(1=adpath:0.). Otherwise the distasteful request would be blocked.
When "doubleclick" is absent, the "OR" allows me to specify $SET(0=a_jslink.) without allowing access to adpaths other that "doubleclick".
I could have used

Code:
www.imdb.com/*doubleclick$SET(1=adpath:0.)|www.imdb.com/$SET(0=a_jslink.)

If two lines like

Code:
www.imdb.com/$SET(0=a_jslink.)
www.imdb.com/*doubleclick$SET(1=adpath:0.)

, it's possible for the first to match and prevent the second from ever matching, see Limitations.. at http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Bloc...ation.html .

(Jun. 28, 2011 07:24 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Normally there is space before $SET.

A space matches when there is and isn't space. The targeted addresses should not contain spaces. So, while a space might make the expression easier to follow it isn't necessary.

(Jun. 28, 2011 07:24 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Is there significance to the extra "#" in the third line?

I may use a kind of outline format. The ### line is the rest of the thought that began in the ## line that preceeds it. Normally ## imdb would have been # imdb but I forgot.

(Jun. 28, 2011 07:24 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I'm not sure what the proper definition of "bug" is here. I'm not suggesting that the original intent of the filters/lists is flawed. It's just that when the desired content on a major site is blocked, some kind of "fix" seems warranted. In fact I've often wondered if there's not a broader solution to the filter set's issues with video. "Are you sure" alerts would be FAR preferable to having to bypass Proxomitron, clear cache and reload the page, which is what happens with video on a number of sites. And I'm a little perplexed by why no one else seems to have an issue with this.

Some users are probably a little perplexed that other users will allow access to doubleclick. Wink

The Proxomitron can't filter by content quality. Ad servers host acceptable ads like movie trailers and unacceptable ads.

If we add a confirm

Code:
www.imdb.com/(*doubleclick $CONFIRM(Are you sure: doubleclick in path) $SET(1=adpath:0.)|$SET(0=a_jslink.))
ad.doubleclick.net/ $OHDR(referer:http://www.imdb.com/images/a/ifb/doubleclick/expand.html*) $CONFIRM(Are you sure: doubleclick in host) $SET(1=adurl_h:0.)

and if imdb uses doubleclick for all ads, you might see a lot of "Are you sure:"

HTH
Jul. 04, 2011, 01:32 AM
(Jun. 30, 2011 04:32 AM)JJoe Wrote:  When "doubleclick" is part of the imdb URL's path, the adpath variable is set to allow access, $SET(1=adpath:0.). Otherwise the distasteful request would be blocked.
When "doubleclick" is absent, the "OR" allows me to specify $SET(0=a_jslink.) without allowing access to adpaths other that "doubleclick".

It's evident that it needs to match more than one item from http://www.imdb.com, but isn't the "or" exclusive, meaning that if doubleclick triggers the adpath exception then the jslink can't be disabled. It has to do one OR the other. If not, I'm misunderstanding "or"

JJoe Wrote:  $OHDR allows access to the request's outgoing headers, http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Matc....html#OHDR . In this case, requests to ad.doubleclick.net/ will be allowed when the referer matches http://www.imdb.com/images/a/ifb/doubleclick/expand.html*.

Hmmmm. What's happening seems similar to the model from above, so after learing about that, my thought would have been to use something like this:
Code:
ad.doubleclick.net/(www.imdb.com/$SET(1=adurl_h:0.))
I guess I still don't get why headers need to be specified or how that would be evident when figuring out how to construct this exception.

Is the difference between the two examples above that one involves an imdb path and the other is called from within an imdb html page? I had wondered at times if it were possible to include or exclude a url only in the circumstance where it is associated with another site but hadn't gotten beyond a hazy conception of how the association would matter.

Another thought... If Block Ad URLs was previously not blocking anything, it would seem that inactivating the adpaths/adhosts doubleclick entry would leave a user no worse off than before. I mean, with Block Ad URLs inactive, it's offering zero protection from the sites listed in adhosts/adpaths. Or does activating it somehow deactivate other filters? I've considered just deleting everything in adpaths & adhosts that I've not personally added since sidki's default config doesn't use them anyway

As for whether to allow doubleclick vs confirmations, yes, too many of them could be annoying, so for such sites it seems better to do whatever necessary to allow the content. It's a fairly straightforward choice. If, for example, the purpose of a page is to show a video, and the video is blocked, is a user better off being forced to bypass Proxomitron entirely and reload the page with ZERO filtration (causing the user MUCH more annoyance), or just allow the video's host to be unblocked for that site only? The only alternative is to not use the page. With no filter exceptions, proxomitron is being used as a tool to encourage the user to do just that. I suppose it depends on what a user expects from the program.
Jul. 04, 2011, 03:38 AM
(Jul. 04, 2011 01:32 AM)zoltan Wrote:  but isn't the "or" exclusive, meaning that if doubleclick triggers the adpath exception then the jslink can't be disabled. It has to do one OR the other. If not, I'm misunderstanding "or"

Correct. I did not see a need for doubleclick to trigger the jslink exception. Had I, I could have added $SET(0=a_jslink.) to both sides of the "OR" or placed it before the "OR group".

(Jul. 04, 2011 01:32 AM)zoltan Wrote:  
JJoe Wrote:  $OHDR allows access to the request's outgoing headers, http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Matc....html#OHDR . In this case, requests to ad.doubleclick.net/ will be allowed when the referer matches http://www.imdb.com/images/a/ifb/doubleclick/expand.html*.
Hmmmm. What's happening seems similar to the model from above, so after learing about that, my thought would have been to use something like this:
Code:
ad.doubleclick.net/(www.imdb.com/$SET(1=adurl_h:0.))

This would match URLs that begin with ad.doubleclick.net/www.imdb.com/. I don't remember the URLs that were requested.

(Jul. 04, 2011 01:32 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I guess I still don't get why headers need to be specified or how that would be evident when figuring out how to construct this exception.

ad.doubleclick.net/ $OHDR(referer:http://www.imdb.com/images/a/ifb/doubleclick/expand.html*)
would match URLs that begin ad.doubleclick.net/ AND have been requested from URLs that begin www.imdb.com/images/a/ifb/doubleclick/expand.html
Assuming that the referer header is available.

(Jul. 04, 2011 01:32 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Is the difference between the two examples above that one involves an imdb path and the other is called from within an imdb html page? I had wondered at times if it were possible to include or exclude a url only in the circumstance where it is associated with another site but hadn't gotten beyond a hazy conception of how the association would matter.

Yes

(Jul. 04, 2011 01:32 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Another thought... If Block Ad URLs was previously not blocking anything, it would seem that inactivating the adpaths/adhosts doubleclick entry would leave a user no worse off than before. I mean, with Block Ad URLs inactive, it's offering zero protection from the sites listed in adhosts/adpaths. Or does activating it somehow deactivate other filters?

Consider "Content-Type: 6a Block Ad Scripts 09.07.04 [sd] (d.2 l.3) (In)". Search the cfg for "adpath:".

(Jul. 04, 2011 01:32 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I've considered just deleting everything in adpaths & adhosts that I've not personally added since sidki's default config doesn't use them anyway

Search the cfg for $LST(adpaths) and $LST(adhosts).
But you could add your entries to Exception-U and use the default config.

(Jul. 04, 2011 01:32 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I suppose it depends on what a user expects from the program.

I think expectations and knowledge. Confirmation does seem reasonable, especially if opt-out or in were included, but maybe only for known problems.
Jul. 04, 2011, 07:57 AM
(Jul. 04, 2011 03:38 AM)JJoe Wrote:  Correct. I did not see a need for doubleclick to trigger the jslink exception. Had I, I could have added $SET(0=a_jslink.) to both sides of the "OR" or placed it before the "OR group".

But I thought the 0=a_jslink was for javascript links that were part of the html page and had nothing to do with doubleclick. They got an exception for every imdb page with your code suggestion in post #2 above. I had been using that until now.

I mostly get how these exceptions work now. The key was understanding that "$OHDR(referer:" is necessary if you want to allow a URL only when it's called from a page at another site. Quite an important thing to know actually.

JJoe Wrote:  Consider "Content-Type: 6a Block Ad Scripts 09.07.04 [sd] (d.2 l.3) (In)". Search the cfg for "adpath:".

I'm not sure what's being suggested here. That header filter is active in my config. Also with the suggestion to search for $LST(adpaths) and $LST(adhosts). Maybe I didn't explain it well. I have already been using both of those lists, mostly AdHosts, to block unwanted background images. But I was assuming that eliminating the existing default entries in those lists would help avoid issues like the current one with doubleclick since I'm using Block Ad URLs.

Can a background .gif really be blocked in Exceptions-U ?