Yahoo mail acting weird
May. 16, 2009, 01:17 PM
RE: Yahoo mail acting weird
Since yesterday, I'm facing problems with yahoo mail (yet again). After sign-in, I cannot get into my inbox.
It just hangs (the browser statusbar displays..transferring data from l.yimg.com...).

I do have this line in Include-Exclude-U
Code:
l.yimg.com/a/lib/my/js/core_    $SET(0=a_bug.)

However, commenting it out still causes a hang. Hope there is a resolution if other folks are seeing this too.

soccerfan
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
May. 16, 2009, 06:15 PM
There are three choices, bypassing a bunch of filters incl. the general Yahoo Cleaner, invoking the ad engine ourselves, or going back to the previous non-ajaxian interface.

Let's try the last one first. For this you'll also need the update posted here:
http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1353

Now replace this old IncludeExclude entry (if present):
Code:
mail.yimg.com/d/combo\?*/darla.js    $SET(0=a_adfn1.a_adfn2.i_loc_j:0.)

...with this updated one (keep indents!):
Code:
  $SET(sUserFn=§!B§)$SET(sUserFnR==)
May. 16, 2009, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: May. 16, 2009 07:15 PM by soccerfan.)
(May. 16, 2009 06:15 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  Let's try the last one first. For this you'll also need the update posted here:
http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1353

OK. Found that I had already merged and activated that filter Wink

Quote:Now replace this old IncludeExclude entry (if present):
...with this updated one (keep indents!):
Code:
  $SET(sUserFn=§!B§)$SET(sUserFnR==)

Done. I had part of this code (without the sUserFn) and I moved it to IncludeExclude-U.ptxt for the time being.

This allows me to get into the inbox and open/read mail. However, some problems still remain:
When replying to (or forwarding) a message, the buttons [attach files], [send], [save as draft] and [cancel] are unresponsive.

EDIT 1: This problem may be related to the ones discussed in post #25 (and resolved by the filter in post #26) in this thread.
EDIT 2: I have all yahoo web-page filters enabled (except yahoo auto-login) and my proxo sidki config is fully updated.

Thanks for the first big step forward though Smile!

soccerfan
May. 16, 2009, 08:34 PM
Okay, let's try option two then:
- Undo your previous change!
- In IncludeExclude replace this old entry (or similar):
Code:
[^/]++.mail.yahoo.com/            $SET(0=a_rdlink.a_jsmeth.a_redir.)

...with (keep indent):
Code:
  $SET(sUserJSB=try{YAHOO.ads.renderer.ComplexScriptRenderer._setupRender();}catch(er){})
May. 16, 2009, 08:57 PM
(May. 16, 2009 08:34 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  Okay, let's try option two then:
- Undo your previous change!

I finally figured out that you actually meant to put back this code Smile! (let me know if not).

Code:

Quote:- In IncludeExclude replace this old entry (or similar):
Code:

...with (keep indent):
Code:
  $SET(sUserJSB=try{YAHOO.ads.renderer.ComplexScriptRenderer._setupRender();}catch(er){})

With the above code (I kept both lines in IncludeExclude-U) things appear back to normal.
I'll keep an eye on any other abnormal behaviour and report back if needed.
In the meantime, many thanks, as always Cheers

soccerfan
May. 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
(May. 16, 2009 08:57 PM)soccerfan Wrote:  I finally figured out that you actually meant to put back this code Smile! (let me know if not).

Yep. What you had before our discussion today.

Quote:With the above code (I kept both lines in IncludeExclude-U) things appear back to normal.

Great! I was actually talking about replacing an existing entry in the general list (w/o "-U"), but if it works, fine.
May. 16, 2009, 09:31 PM
many thanks, sidki...

i got to this thread a little late, but something tells me i wouldn't have stumbled into that fix...

thanks again...
May. 16, 2009, 10:38 PM
(May. 16, 2009 09:05 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  [quote='soccerfan' pid='12380' dateline='1242507429']
Quote:With the above code (I kept both lines in IncludeExclude-U) things appear back to normal.

Great! I was actually talking about replacing an existing entry in the general list (w/o "-U"), but if it works, fine.

It was indeed in the general list (without "-U") until I moved it (temporarily) for testing purposes (i.e. editing just one list) Smile!
I'll wait a while before putting it back where it belongs. Thanks.

soccerfan
May. 17, 2009, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: May. 17, 2009 10:15 AM by duffy98.)
Last week Yahoo mail started acting weird for me also. It just hangs after I log in ... I can get in if I start the login over with "Bypass" checked on Proxomitron ... I'm not sure about all the prior instruction to fix this problem, not sure I understand what all to do ... after I get into Yahoo mail, I can uncheck Bypass and I seem to be able to read e-mail messages. Yahoo is a pain anymore, I hope their stock goes to $.50 ... they constantly have to keep fooling around with everything ... I can only think it has to deal with Proxomitron and Yahoo's effort to "defeat" it.
May. 20, 2009, 02:25 AM (This post was last modified: May. 20, 2009 02:29 AM by duffy98.)
... wanted to post some further information about a discovery I made about some additional filters mentioned in another Win 9x forum ... these filters work with Sidki's current filter set and they seem to have fixed my Yahoo mail problem plus I think all my other web pages are loading faster.

There were several postings by Herbalist (Rick) in the MSFN Forums / Malware Prevention and Security ... in one posting he talks about Proxomitron and mentions Andrew's Security Filter(s) v5.62 ... Here is the part dealing with Proxomitron and those filters.

-------------------------------------------------------
Proxomitron is a much more flexible and powerful web filtering tool. It's available at PrxBx.com, along with filter sets, tutorials, archived websites, certificate tools, and a forum for Proxomitron and other web filtering tools. Proxomitron (version Naoko-4.5 recommended) works with all browsers. It can filter all web content, limited only by the filter set and the skill of those who write them. The better your knowledge of HTML and scripting languages, the more powerful it is. Proxomitron enables you to whitelist specific types of active content and websites along with filtering out or modifying most any other web content, including cookies, user agents, referrers, nosy scripts, i-frames, and much more. Proxomitron is small, 1.6MB extracted. No installation necessary. Unzip it, change your browsers proxy settings, adjust your firewall rules, and go. The default filters are a good place to start. Like all rule based software, Proxomitron takes some getting used to (especially its default color scheme ) but the longer you use it, the easier it gets.

To other Proxomitron users:
In case you haven't seen them, Andrew's Security Filter(s) v5.62, updated May 10, 2009, adds NoScript-like functions to Proxomitron for all browsers. It's an addition that merges with your existing filterset, giving the user the option to allow or block, one time or permanently, many individual scripts, objects, applets, etc. See the screenshot in the above link. Excellent work.
Rick
--------------------------------------------------------------

http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=970

... At the Andrew Filter page this is the filter set I downloaded ... the "New: All-in one Package" download and it is mentioned that it will work with Sidki's config pack.

---------------------------------------------------------------

NEW: All-in-one Package

I've put all the essential files in a Zip file that you just need to extract to your Proxomitron folder and merge the "mergeme" file with your config file. Note that you will need to download the "Count.ptxt" file listed below if you're NOT using Sidki's config pack.

ASFv5.62.zip (Size: 4.73 KB / Downloads: 50)
---------------------------------------------------------------

I have been using the filters for 2 days now and Yahoo mail is not hanging for now, zipping right through everything ... look in the upper right corner of a web page and you should see two colored boxes with A and B in them ... A will create a white list for web pages and B seems to be a "one time" pass to use on the web page ... after a few hours I began to understand those boxes better and really like this filter set addition added to Sidki's filter set. If you are on a web page and something won't open up that you need to open up then try clicking on "B" ... I have found that things then will work on the web page ... the A and B will change to a "C" which if you click on it, seems to "clear" the page and put you back to A and B ... very interesting filter set.
May. 21, 2009, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: May. 21, 2009 02:20 PM by soccerfan.)
(May. 20, 2009 02:25 AM)duffy98 Wrote:  There were several postings by Herbalist (Rick) in the MSFN Forums / Malware Prevention and Security ...

Could you please post a link. Thanks. (EDIT: nm, found it)

Quote:I have been using the filters for 2 days now and Yahoo mail is not hanging for now, zipping right through everything ... look in the upper right corner of a web page and you should see two colored boxes with A and B in them ... A will create a white list for web pages and B seems to be a "one time" pass to use on the web page ...If you are on a web page and something won't open up that you need to open up then try clicking on "B" ...

What did you click (A or B) to make yahoo mail work (using Andrew's filter set)?

soccerfan
May. 21, 2009, 06:20 PM
When I am at the Yahoo web page I just click on mail and log in, pretty sure that's what I do ... I am not on my computer at present ... I have been clicking only on the B box ... I see these 2 small boxes with A and B inside them in the upper right hand corner of every page I go to. After I click on B then the A and B boxes go away and there is a C box now showing which may mean clear because when I click on it then the A and B boxes come back again. If you post any messages at Yahoo Finance you have to hit the B box first then type your message and it will post, that much I know. I'd like to hear from Sidki about his thoughts on these filters working with his config file. I haven't made any "white lists" as of yet ... if I can be of any further help, I am still in the learning process myself. I am impressed with the addition of the Andrew filters into Sidki's filter set ... everything seems to be working ... if you have something missing or a link that won't open on a web page try hitting on the B button and then try the link.
May. 21, 2009, 06:32 PM
(May. 21, 2009 06:20 PM)duffy98 Wrote:  I'd like to hear from Sidki about his thoughts on these filters working with his config file.

That isn't my job. Kye-U - as well as ProxRocks with his additions - are taking care of compatibility.
If you suspect a problem, you can always check with sidki_oob.ptron (before posting).
May. 21, 2009, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: May. 21, 2009 07:35 PM by ProxRocks.)
(May. 21, 2009 06:20 PM)duffy98 Wrote:  When I am at the Yahoo web page I just click on mail and log in...

eveything seems to be working for me...
are you still having a problem that you'd like for me to dive into?

ps - is your question "mail-related", or is this a new possible problem? (and if so, please initiate a new thread)...
May. 22, 2009, 07:16 AM
ProxRocks ... I originally was replying to Post #31 (May 16) by soccerfan to verify that I also had started having the same problem with Yahoo mail ... everything was just hanging. I didn't quite understand how to do the fix discussed in the posts after Post #31 between Sidki and soccerfan and then I came across the information about the Andrew Filter set and that it works with Sidki's Config filter set. I decided to give it a try and when I tried Yahoo mail again I had no problem getting into it, the hanging had stopped and everything seemed to be working again. This was all to verify that I also was having that same Yahoo mail problem that soccerfan (Post 31) suddenly had started experiencing. My Yahoo mail problem had also started in the same timeframe ... I thought if anyone was also having the same Yahoo mail problem and didn't quite understand the "fix" that was discussed, perhaps the Andrew filter set combined with Sidki's Config filter set would be one way to go for an "easy" fix to the problem. It seems to have fixed my Yahoo mail problem for now but I don't fully understand what was done or how it was fixed.