Linux version installation problem
Jan. 27, 2008, 10:28 AM
RE: Linux version installation problem
Unfortunately, none of your ideas really worked. The script has executable attribute set, that's easy. Given delay (120) doesn't seem to change anything really. Furthermore, running BFilter binary using full path causes it to run twice, opposite to running it using "./bfilter-gui", when it starts only once.
I double-checked sessions menu, I'm positive it contains only one BFilter call.

I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. Smile!

Anyway, thank you, jart, once again.
Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 27, 2008, 01:43 PM
Well, if it launches twice, it probably means that the script actually works. If you launch it by hand, not by the session manager, I suppose it's going to launch only once. Where the second launch comes from is an open question. The session manager has an option to remember currently running programs and re-launch them the next time you log in. It's off by default. Maybe it's that option that causes the second launch, maybe it's some other thing.

Actually, I didn't bother to apply any workarounds myself. I don't find this behaviour that much annoying to do something about it. If I want the icon to jump to the tray, the fastest way is clicking the "Show Desktop" button (the one on the lower left side of the screen) twice.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jan. 28, 2008, 04:50 PM
jart Wrote:Well, if it launches twice, it probably means that the script actually works. If you launch it by hand, not by the session manager, I suppose it's going to launch only once. Where the second launch comes from is an open question.
This would be the simplest explanation for the secon copy being run. But still... I'm currently using the script with only "exec" line changed - and it runs fine (well, almost; I mean only one copy of BFilter is executed).

Quote:Actually, I didn't bother to apply any workarounds myself. I don't find this behaviour that much annoying to do something about it. If I want the icon to jump to the tray, the fastest way is clicking the "Show Desktop" button (the one on the lower left side of the screen) twice.
You may be right. Smile! It isn't that much annoying to click once or twice more every run. It's rather a matter of tuning the system to a user's liking. Whatever the answer is anyway, thank you for your time and keep up the good work!
Mar. 12, 2008, 10:04 PM
Well, I guess problem just fixed itself as the BFilter package was updated in Ubuntu 8.04 alpha repository was updated to the latest version (1.1.3 as of this writing). It's running in the background as a daemon without GUI, so your screen won't get cluttered.

I dare to claim it's the best filtering proxy available, mainly because of its heuristics methods incorporated into filtering mechanism. No unnecesary updates, no filter defining hassle. And it's cross-platform.

I cannot express how much am I grateful, jart, for your work. I tried a lot of different combinations of browser tools and proxies and chose yours. I'm wondering yet -- what else can be done to make it better? It has everything it should, as far as I see it.