Forwarding to Proxy with Authentication
Mar. 15, 2007, 04:58 AM
Forwarding to Proxy with Authentication
Hi,

Would it be possible to configure a forwarded HTTP proxy with a username/password (NTLM Authentication)?

Currently, when I use bFilter at work (forwarded to my work's proxy server), I am either prompted for NTLM authentication (That's OK, I have a valid username & password) or I need to setup the username / password manually inside the applications configuration settings (eg virus scanner's internet connection settings). It would be very useful if I could store the user/pwd inside the BFilter configuration, so that all the client applications that use Bfilter as a proxy do not have to be reconfigured each time (eg when my laptop moves from work to home).

Thanks
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 15, 2007, 07:51 AM
RE: Forwarding to Proxy with Authentication
You are the second or third person to ask for it, which increases the chances of it being implemented. The problem with HTTP authentication (not just NTLM but also Digest) is that it requires to buffer the whole request (even POSTs with lots of data), because it may have to be re-sent later. This doesn't fit well into BFilter's architecture. In case of Digest, I just let BFilter's clients do the authentication. In case of NTLM, I do the same, but it's not going to work (at least not all the time), because NTLM is a connection (as opposed to session) authentication scheme. Now I guess removing the latter limitation shouldn't be hard, but I don't have an NTLM proxy at hand to test it.
Mar. 15, 2007, 11:18 AM
RE: Forwarding to Proxy with Authentication
Hi Jart,

Thanks for the reply. If you need a test proxy server with NTLM, I believe freeproxy (http://www.handcraftedsoftware.org/docs/freeproxy/) can be setup to do this.
If you begin to implement this, then I would certainly be willing to help test / contribute in any way I can.

Cheers,
Danny