goggle maps and bing maps
Apr. 04, 2011, 03:02 PM
goggle maps and bing maps
The bypass list doesn't work like "bypass all filters" on the .exe file, especially on maps.google.com/ and bing.com/maps/. What could be the different between the two. Bypass all filters always allows full bypass where as the bypass list only works partially. Trying to make goggle map work.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Apr. 05, 2011, 01:11 AM
RE: goggle maps and bing maps
If "maps.google.com" uses files from "maps.gstatic.com" and the gstatic files should not be filtered:
adding "maps.google.com" to the Bypass List only bypasses files from "maps.google.com",
scripts from "maps.gstatic.com" would not be bypassed.

The Proxomitron's bypass bypasses all files.

Which browser and map?
Apr. 09, 2011, 11:23 PM
I just tried the 10-23 config for the first time and one of the first things I noticed is that google maps and bing maps do not work. The main map in google does appear but it can't be manipulated and you can't search. Are examples like these considered bugs in the config or is it something where the user normally bypasses proxomitron for the entire site?

Ideally I'd like for the filters to work for sites like these, but I can't figure out which one(s) is the offender here. I used a file compare tool to compare the dbug info from the new & previous config (which worked with google & bing), but the differences seem to be mostly in the "Header Top Add: Initial" and "Bottom Add: Final JS". Unchecking those doesn't help.
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:41 AM
I'd see a bug, if I saw this, and post a solution without a request for one. Smile!

I use Google maps, zoom, drag, directions, search, etc. It seems to work for me.
I don't use Bing but it also seems to work for me.

When you need help, you need to help us help you.
To start, operating system, filter set, browser, a problem URL, and a discription of the problem.
I don't have every browser or operating system but I have too many and too little time to check them all. And when I finished looking, Google doesn't always serve everybody the same code.

(Apr. 09, 2011 11:23 PM)zoltan Wrote:  I used a file compare tool to compare the dbug info from the new & previous config (which worked with google & bing), but the differences seem to be mostly in the "Header Top Add: Initial" and "Bottom Add: Final JS". Unchecking those doesn't help.

My guess is that the problem is in one of the external javascript files called by the page you dbugged.
You could try bypassing the web filters for those scripts. Their addresses may be in http://local.ptron/.pinfo/urls/ , the set's "show scripts" window, the log window, or source code of the referring page. You may also bypass all external scripts called by the referring page but I don't care for that approach.

HTH
Apr. 10, 2011, 03:18 AM
(Apr. 10, 2011 01:41 AM)JJoe Wrote:  When you need help, you need to help us help you.
To start, operating system, filter set, browser, a problem URL, and a discription of the problem. I don't have every browser or operating system but I have too many and too little time to check them all. And when I finished looking, Google doesn't always serve everybody the same code.
I'm using WinXP pro, sidki 2010-10-23 oob.ptron, Firefox 3.5.8
The urls I use for access are: http://maps.google.com/ http://www.bing.com/maps/

I normally import my own custom filters into the main default.cfg and alter some of the existing ones, but for testing purposes here, I'm using the pure "sidki_oob.ptron" (renamed) to make sure my filters aren't the problem.

To be more specific, normally Bing and Google allow zooming in by clicking on their intro map, but for me, the clicks produce nothing, and using the search box in Bing also produces no action. The Google search box at least triggers the firefox status bar indicator, but it quickly shows "Done" with no change on the page. The zoom meter and the street view icon also do not function.

(Apr. 10, 2011 01:41 AM)JJoe Wrote:  My guess is that the problem is in one of the external javascript files called by the page you dbugged.
You could try bypassing the web filters for those scripts. Their addresses may be in http://local.ptron/.pinfo/urls/ , the set's "show scripts" window, the log window, or source code of the referring page.

Using your link, the only js files I could find for google maps are http://ssl.gstatic.com/gb/js/sem_acb2e6d...40764fc.js
http://maps.gstatic.com/intl/en_us/mapfi...s2/main.js

putting both of these in the bypass list didn't change anything.
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:11 PM
(Apr. 10, 2011 03:18 AM)zoltan Wrote:  To be more specific, normally Bing and Google allow zooming in by clicking on their intro map, but for me, the clicks produce nothing, and using the search box in Bing also produces no action. The Google search box at least triggers the firefox status bar indicator, but it quickly shows "Done" with no change on the page. The zoom meter and the street view icon also do not function.

Works for me, faking XP on Win7, Firefox/3.6.13, "sidki_oob.ptron".

(Apr. 10, 2011 03:18 AM)zoltan Wrote:  
(Apr. 10, 2011 01:41 AM)JJoe Wrote:  My guess is that the problem is in one of the external javascript files called by the page you dbugged.
You could try bypassing the web filters for those scripts. Their addresses may be in http://local.ptron/.pinfo/urls/ , the set's "show scripts" window, the log window, or source code of the referring page.

Using your link, the only js files I could find for google maps are http://ssl.gstatic.com/gb/js/sem_acb2e6d...40764fc.js
http://maps.gstatic.com/intl/en_us/mapfi...s2/main.js

putting both of these in the bypass list didn't change anything.

I see scripts from
maps.gstatic.com/
maps.google.com/
mt0.google.com/
www.google.com/
ssl.gstatic.com/

For troubleshooting, try adding

Code:
maps.gstatic.com/
maps.google.com/
mt?.google.com/
www.google.com/
ssl.gstatic.com/

to bypass list.

Clear the browser's cache, load http://maps.google.com/ , and check the log window for blocklist matches corresponding to the entries (if necessary).

Are you logged in to Google? I haven't checked logged in behaviour.
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:06 AM
No, I'm not logged in to Google.
After adding the above entries to the bypass list, it still doesn't work. And there are no bypass list matches in the log.

One interesting thing... At the top in Google's menu bar it shows the message "Loading" at first. Then it changes to "Still loading... Slow? Use the troubleshooting guide.." So it seems that something is preventing it from loading a key component. To be sure, I tested the old Proxomitron I had been using, and the "Loading" message only appears for a second or so while the page is actually loading, and everthing is fine.

Another similar behavior that may be useful to know about is that on the Yahoo mail sign-in page there is a significant delay until the page is loaded. In the status bar it just keeps flashing "Contacting/waiting for a248.e.akamai.net" In fact, for the 10 secs or so while it does that, the ID/passwords remembered by Firefox will not appear in the login box. Now here's the strange part.... it does that with the new config AND with Proxomitron bypassed. Yet there's no delay using the old Proxomitron. Hmmm.
Here's a screen cap of what the log window shows is happening during the delay.

I don't understand why it would be so problematic for me when it works well for you using the same browser/config. But it sure seems related to the new config because those sites work with the old one. Does the fact that it's occuring on both Google and Bing maps indicate anything? Pages with similar purpose but surely different coding.

Also, the Prox menu isn't showing up (Add Prox Menu is set to "true")
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:33 AM
(Apr. 11, 2011 12:06 AM)zoltan Wrote:  After adding the above entries to the bypass list, it still doesn't work. And there are no bypass list matches in the log.

"sidki_oob.ptron" doesn't use "Exceptions-U" or the bypass list.
Try it with a normal SIDKI 2010-10-23 cfg.

(Apr. 11, 2011 12:06 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Another similar behavior that may be useful to know about is that on the Yahoo mail sign-in page there is a significant delay until the page is loaded. In the status bar it just keeps flashing "Contacting/waiting for a248.e.akamai.net" In fact, for the 10 secs or so while it does that, the ID/passwords remembered by Firefox will not appear in the login box. Now here's the strange part.... it does that with the new config AND with Proxomitron bypassed. Yet there's no delay using the old Proxomitron. Hmmm.
Here's a screen cap of what the log window shows is happening during the delay.

Ok for me. Kind of ugly though.

Requests for a248.e.akamai.net are probably coming from a post </html> script that does not always appear. Your image shows SSL Pass-Thru failed. I'll guess, the files are not downloaded and the delay is the connections timing out. This script was removed by "Remove: Specific Post-HTML Blocks 10.10.16 (multi) [sd] (d.2 l.3)"

Do you use a HOSTS file or other blockers?

(Apr. 11, 2011 12:06 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I don't understand why it would be so problematic for me when it works well for you using the same browser/config. But it sure seems related to the new config because those sites work with the old one. Does the fact that it's occuring on both Google and Bing maps indicate anything? Pages with similar purpose but surely different coding.

You are assuming that we see and use the same code. I have the Proxomitron force caching. I normally use an old version of a less popular browser. DOM storage is disabled. So I may miss the problem code.

Some javascript files or libraries are used by many sites.

(Apr. 11, 2011 12:06 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Also, the Prox menu isn't showing up (Add Prox Menu is set to "true")

I'll guess, due to broken or incomplete pages.
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:28 AM
Some success! I had assumed "oob" was the same as the sidki config. Now that the bypass list is active, Google Maps functions normally. Works with my customized config too. Thankfully maps.google.com domain wasn't the offender, so I can still use my background and font filters on the page.

And for some strange reason, Yahoo mail sign-in page is now working properly. I don't know why, but I did do some experimenting, such as restarting XP, unchecking "use SSLeay", and deleting the Proxomitron entry in the firewall. For the old proxomitron.exe, "trusted out" had been denied, and "internet out" was permitted. The new proxomitron.exe had been permitted in both instances. Now that I forced the firewall to recognize the new one again I made sure that only "internet out" was checked for both.

I do use a HOSTS file. But since the behaviors were not a problem with the old proxomitron, I assumed that wasn't a factor.

Bing maps still isn't working, so I'm next going to try to track down the culprit using the same procedure there.

I don't know what to make of the missing menu. I can't get it to show up on any page. Is the icon still activated by a left click?
Apr. 11, 2011, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: Apr. 11, 2011 02:51 AM by JJoe.)
(Apr. 11, 2011 02:28 AM)zoltan Wrote:  Now that the bypass list is active, Google Maps functions normally.

Can you narrow it down to a specific file or files. I'd rather we not allow everything forever.

(Apr. 11, 2011 02:28 AM)zoltan Wrote:  I don't know what to make of the missing menu. I can't get it to show up on any page. Is the icon still activated by a left click?

Yes, when using Light Mode and above, left click, and look for icon. Menu opens on mouseover.

Can you find "prxO.oMen" in the page's source code?
Apr. 11, 2011, 03:25 AM
OK, I think I've tracked down both of them.
For Google Maps, you need to bypass:

Code:
maps.gstatic.com/

And for Bing Maps, you need to bypass:

Code:
www.bing.com/maps/js/
sc1.maps.live.com/

"prxO.oMen" does appear in the source codes but there's not much with it.
Hmmm. I'll play around with this a bit and compare the code on various pages and if I can't get it to work, I should probably start a new thread. Thanks for the help on the Bing/Google issue.
Apr. 12, 2011, 03:02 AM
(Apr. 11, 2011 03:25 AM)zoltan Wrote:  OK, I think I've tracked down both of them.

I'll check again but can you narrow it to specific files?
Addresses and/or copies of the problem files may be helpful.
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:13 AM
RE: google maps and bing maps
I assume these must be the problem files. They're the only js files showing up tonight from the bypassed urls.

Code:
http://maps.gstatic.com/intl/en_us/mapfiles/331c/maps2/main.js
http://sc1.maps.live.com/js/bin/20110401.1652/en-us/vecore.js
http://www.bing.com/maps/js/bin/20110401.1652/en-us/veshell.js
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: Apr. 12, 2011 02:13 PM by Mele20.)
It's RIGHT click on Fx4 to get the icon for the menu. But it has always been right click for me (the main mouse button is what brings up the menu).

As for Google maps, I was getting the same weird crap you described. I also got the "At the top in Google's menu bar it shows the message "Loading" at first. Then it changes to "Still loading... Slow? Use the troubleshooting guide.." This started suddenly after Google maps had worked fine last December on Opera. Fx 3 and Opera worked fine last December for Google maps, but when I tried to use it on Fx 4 and Opera, in late March/April, I kept getting that weird message and zooming in and search did not work on either browser. Then I tried using Google maps from thebus.org which is Honolulu's Mass Transit system that is linked to Google maps. That worked fine last December but would not work in late March/April on any browser. I kept trying every day (both from Google Maps and from Thebus.org) and no luck. Finally, on the evening of April 7, Google maps worked normally again for the first time in months. I had to stay up late to get my routes as I was leaving on my trip in a few hours.

I related the above because it seems to me that Proxo has nothing to do with it. Google was having ongoing problems for months. Plus, it matters very much where you are located as Google experiments periodically with various IP addresses and never reveals this to the user but the hapless users that get "chosen" for their experiments invariably have problems others don't have.

I just checked now and Google maps from Thebus.org and Google Maps site itself works great on both Fx4 and Opera 10.62 with Proxo and Sidki's latest filters enabled. So, I am convinced the problems had nothing to do per se with Proxo.
Apr. 12, 2011, 03:39 PM
Using "get directions" always fixes display.
You just have to go their first to get a reaction.