The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum
Proxomitron Tweak - Printable Version

+- The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum (https://www.prxbx.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Forum Related (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Proxomitron Program (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Proxomitron Tweak (/showthread.php?tid=251)

- Kye-U - Sep. 26, 2004 02:54 AM

Found on http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,166...bmonk;mode=flat

gwion Wrote:This is a one line CMD file for NT. The line is "start/high proxomitron.exe." I used a CMD because I haven't tested this on 9x, and I don't want anyone messing up... I'm real rusty with 9x and threading and priority models and all that. But I know it works with NT. Put it in the Proxo home folder, and create a shortcut on the desktop or in start up to the cmd file... then, when you start Proxomitron, it fires up at high priority. gain, no documentable speed boost, but it does make a noticible difference in how fast the pages "seem" to load, if you get my drift.

This will launch Proxomitron, but with a higher priority.

This may or may not have any significant effect, but still, it seems like it would improve the performance, either of Proxomitron's filtering, or its loading.

Download it here: http://prxbx.com/dp/download.php?file=19

- Siamesecat - Sep. 27, 2004 07:46 AM

You cannot change the priority levels of processes in Windows 98 with command lines or batch files, or anything like that. The OS doesn't support that kind of thing.

- Oddysey - Sep. 27, 2004 08:42 AM

Quote:I'm real rusty with 9x and threading and priority models and all that.
As well he should be. Siamesecat has it correctly, you can't change the priority model "on the fly" in the Win9x OS. In point of fact, the only thing I've ever seen that can be set as a priority is the print spool. If anybody has seen anything else that can be adjusted the same way, please give a shout!

However, in the NT class of OS, each process can be assigned a different numerical priority as it is launched (provided that the launching user has sufficient privilege to do so). Use Google to search on "execution priority windows xp", or similar terms, and see what pops up. :o

Oddysey

- JD5000 - Sep. 28, 2004 08:17 PM

I forget which version (I think 4.5), Scott added...

Code:
PriorityBoost = TRUE

As a setting in the config, it will set Proxo to a high priority. Smile!

- JD5000 - Sep. 28, 2004 08:18 PM

I have that enabled by default in mine, I think Sidki does as well. Smile!

- Oddysey - Sep. 29, 2004 03:19 AM

JD
Quote:
Code:

PriorityBoost = TRUE
As a setting in the config, it will set Proxo to a high priority.
Yep, sure will - in the NT class world. In the Win9x domain, it's the ol' "sorry, Charlie, no can do" story. Or is there some registry tweak of which I am not yet aware?

At least the configuration setting degrades gracefully, it doesn't cause any error messages or other undesirable behavior. I'd say that's good enough reason right there to let the setting remain in place. :P

Oddysey

- Oddysey - Sep. 29, 2004 04:42 AM

All;

You know, the old gray cells do still fire once in awhile, just not so quickly anymore. [blink] The gist of this so-called priority boost is that one uses a Command Line Interface session to start the application running, and therein lays the rub.

Under all versions of Windows, there are several levels of privilege when it comes to dividing up memory, processor time, and other resources. In the Win9x world, it so happens that all legacy proggies (read that as anything from the 16 bit world) are forced to run in one single memory space, and they will all compete for the one slice of the processor's time allocated to that DOS session. Even if you have more than one "command line" window open, they both/all tie into the single DOS instance running under Win9x. Why? Because it's running in Real Mode (remember that one?), and there can be only one Real Mode running at a time on an x86 processor. That's the law according to Intel.

Fast forward to NT class OS's. There, we have no real Real Mode, only an imitation one, which in turn means that more than one such "real mode" session can be run at the same time. In turn, each legacy proggy can have it's own session. And since the OS has total control over what session has what priority, using a command line batch file to tell the OS what priority to assign to that particular session is merely a quick trick, and easy to remember for most folks. So, using a CLI (command line interface) session to launch a Windows proggy is not only allowed, but it can be useful, like we've just seen. Sadly, Win9x can do the same thing, but it doesn't recognize the "high priority" command line switch. [angry]

Now, for those of you who really like to live on the bleeding edge, near total control over priority assignments can be yours, at least in the NT world. If you don't already have it, d/l and install X-teq's X-Setup Pro, a most excellent tweaking system. Run it in Power User mode, and surf to: System/Advanced Performance Setting/Start High Priority Context Menu. This setting will add a new choice to your right click menu when your mouse is hovering over an EXE file. It words of one syllable, it says "Start High Priority". How sweet it is!! Hail Cheers

Gotta go exercise the squishy stuff some more. Perhaps I'll sit down and actually do something useful for a change...... Nyaaahhh. Where's that copy of Towers of Hanoi? :P

Oddysey