The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum
New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - Printable Version

+- The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum (https://www.prxbx.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Proxomitron Config Sets (/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: Sidki (/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon (/showthread.php?tid=1227)

New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - leecovuk - Jan. 17, 2009 02:25 AM

Hello, those that know about such things.

Can I check please, are any of the following functions of the Customise Google extension achieved by the new Sidki config? If so, which specific config settings are needed to do that? :-

Web section of the addon, 'Remove click tracking';
News section of the addon, 'Remove click tracking';
Blogs section of the addon, 'Remove click tracking';
Privacy section of the addon, 'Anonymise the Google cookie UID' and 'Don't send any cookies to Google Analytics';

Also, this is just an observation that may or not be of any use or interest;
I find, if I have the addon set to 'Use Google Suggest' under the Web section of the addon, when I do a Google web search the browser goes into a loop and never stops trying to load the search.
This happens regardless of whether or not all the Google section of the new Sidki config is disabled.
I don't need or use that function of the addon, but I'm raising this in case it affects other users.

To help you debug it, the Customise Google blog (albeit from 2 years ago) states the purpose of the Use Google Suggest option is :-
"The CustomizeGoogle extension only adds Google Suggest functionality to the personalized homepage. " - reference :-

_http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:hl0TBaJnBeYJ:customizegoogle.blogspot.com/+%22The+CustomizeGoogle+extension%22+site:customizegoogle.blogspot.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

(That url is meant to show the Google cache of the page, in the hope you can see the highlighted text (yellow for me) when you scroll about half way down the page)

If you want to look into this and can't replicate it, just ask me to post my specific config settings or my whole Prox folder so maybe you can then replicate it.

I hope that helps somebody,
Lee

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - Kye-U - Jan. 17, 2009 03:27 AM

All of the above is possible with Proxomitron. Sidki already took care of the click tracking links with his "Tracking Link" filter.

I've went ahead and analyzed the extension; this is just reference for development Wink I'll see what I can come up with, after I finish some case studies D'oh!

Anonymize UID:

Code:
anonymizeGoogleUID: function() {
        if (location.host.match(/google\..+$/)) {
            var domain = location.host.match(/google\..+$/)[0];
            var parts  = document.cookie.split('; ');
            var c = null;
            for(var i=0; c=parts[i]; ++i) {
                if(c.match(/^PREF=/)) {
                    document.cookie = c.replace(/ID=\w+:/,'ID='+get_random_id(16)+':') + '; domain=.' + domain + '; path=/; expires=Mon, 01 Jan 2038 00:00:00 GMT';
                }
            }
        }
     },

Google Analytics cookie:

Code:
anonymizeGoogleAnalytics: function() {
        var parts  = document.cookie.split('; ');
        var c = null;
        for(var i=0; c=parts[i]; ++i) {
            var match = c.match(/^(__utm[a-z])=/);
            if (match) {
                var d = document.domain;
                if (d.substring(0,4)=="www.") {
                    d=d.substring(4,d.length);
                }
                document.cookie = match[1] + '=; domain=' + d + '; path=/; expires=Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:01 GMT';
            }
        }
     },

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - Kye-U - Jan. 17, 2009 04:09 AM

Google UID Anonymizer:

Code:
[HTTP headers]
In = FALSE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Cookie: Anonymous Google UID [ku-test] (Out)"
URL = "(\w.|)google."
Match = "\0PREF=ID=\w:\1"
Replace = "\0PREF=ID=$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s):\1"

In = TRUE
Out = FALSE
Key = "Set-Cookie: Anonymous Google UID [ku-test] (In)"
URL = "(\w.|)google."
Match = "\0PREF=ID=\w:\1"
Replace = "\0PREF=ID=$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s)$DTM(s):\1"

This simply replaces the 16 char value with the current second, repeated 8 times (2 digits x 8 repetitions = 16)

Google Analytics Anonymizer:

Code:
[HTTP headers]
In = FALSE
Out = TRUE
Key = "Cookie: Anonymous Google Analytics Cookie [ku-test] (Out)"
Match = "*__utm[a-z]=*"

In = TRUE
Out = FALSE
Key = "Set-Cookie: Anonymous Google Analytics Cookie [ku-test] (In)"
Match = "*__utm[a-z]=*"

The first filter, Anonymous Google UID, I've tested it and it works for me.
This one, the Google Analytics filter, I can't test it, so let me know if it doesn't work for you Wink

Note: it's recommended that you have both filters, since Google's quite persistent in setting that cookie Sad

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - Mele20 - Jan. 17, 2009 07:51 AM

I'm not sure I understand the problem. I've always used the Customize Google extension along with Sidki filters. Plus, of course, I also have a Hosts file to kill crap like Google analytics. I have never been sure which was anonymizing the cookie but figured I'd be triply safe by using both the extension and Sidki's set and using a Host's file.

As for the looping when you use Google Suggest, I can't help there because I can't stand that horrid Google Suggest. Thank goodness for Kye'U's filter to stop it.

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - sidki3003 - Jan. 17, 2009 09:01 AM

Lee, Kye-U, the config is anonymizing the Google cookie UID already (3003added0032123), via CookieValues.ptxt and IncludeExclude.ptxt.

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - Kye-U - Jan. 17, 2009 06:25 PM

Whoa, a feature I didn't know about Wink Your config pack is full of wonders.
Thank you Sidki! I guess that my filters above would be helpful for people not using your config.

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - leecovuk - Jan. 17, 2009 10:29 PM

Hello again and thanks for those replies and efforts.

To summarise then, I/we don't need to use the FF addon for any of the privacy items I mentioned? It sounds from what's been said, that Prox+Sidki covers them all. Is that covered by turning on all the filters under Anti-Tracking under Web Filters? I think all but one of those are on by default anyway.

As for the 'looping' issue, it appears I am also getting it sometimes even with the addon's Use Google Suggest option turned off. It appears it may be related to one or both of the addon's 'Add links to' options under its Web section.
Further, I don't know if the issue is also/instead related to something I am seeing on a Google Search results page via the new Sidki set (on my config settings); that being a Prox inserted 'Prefetch link' showing above the first search result.

I appreciate these issues are often very hard to debug objectively, for me anyway, but if I can conclude anything more specific I'll wander back with more details. Not that the Customise Google addon generally adds much use beyond what Prox is doing or can do anyway.

Lee

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - sidki3003 - Jan. 18, 2009 06:46 PM

(Jan. 17, 2009 10:29 PM)leecovuk Wrote:  To summarise then, I/we don't need to use the FF addon for any of the privacy items I mentioned? It sounds from what's been said, that Prox+Sidki covers them all. Is that covered by turning on all the filters under Anti-Tracking under Web Filters?

OOB. Anti-Tracking is active for all config modes. The shared Google GUID is requested for all modes, but enforced for Standard Mode (default) and above.

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - leecovuk - Jan. 18, 2009 10:39 PM

Thanks Sidki
(Jan. 18, 2009 06:46 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  The shared Google GUID is requested for all modes, but enforced for Standard Mode (default) and above.
I routinely set to Light Mode. Does this mean I should turn something extra on?

Lee

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - sidki3003 - Jan. 18, 2009 11:04 PM

I don't know. Check your Google cookie after a search session. If the "ID" field isn't "3003added0032123", you'd need to remove the level-3-and-up restriction from one filter. Just post back and i'll walk you through it.

Or simply switch to Standard Mode, it isn't that bad! Wink

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - leecovuk - Jan. 18, 2009 11:11 PM

ok, thanks, I'll look into it.

Smile!

Lee

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - leecovuk - Jan. 20, 2009 02:50 PM

Hello again,

I have indeed now 'looked into it' Smile! and indeed I can see the ID=3003 etc appearing in a Google cookie in Standard Mode but not Light Mode.

For now I've taken your advice and moved to Standard Mode, and even managed to use the Log Window to pinpoint and untick a filter which previously drove me away from Standard Mode; that being the one which stops automatic javascript redirects after a forum login, for example.
( <script>: JS "location" to Link 7.09.07 (!nn multi) [sd] (d.2 l.3) )

Maybe your returning to the scene, Sidki, has made me look again and try afresh at trying to grasp Prox, with a _little_ more success this time.

Smile!

Lee

RE: New Sidki set and FF Customise Google addon - sidki3003 - Jan. 20, 2009 07:33 PM

Congrats! Smile!