The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum
About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - Printable Version

+- The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum (https://www.prxbx.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Proxomitron Config Sets (/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: Sidki (/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) (/showthread.php?tid=1190)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - sidki3003 - Dec. 24, 2008 04:14 PM

(Dec. 24, 2008 12:34 PM)lnminente Wrote:  In these euforia days, i also share, for proxomitron world, I would like to share my/our wish/need for fusing the actual projects.
We saw the problem for the complexity of the config from sidki.
Hi again lnminente,

Let's not confuse things here. Developing a framework is surely a good idea. However, right now, that is an entirely different beast than keeping the sidki-config uptodate.

My experience is that regarding Proxomitron filters - unfortunately - complexity is often related to flexibility. For instance, filters need to do their job on all sorts of broken (but displayable) code.

Quote:Many people use it, but how many of them can maintain it? If sidki is not with us, his config would die in two years being the best config available.
If that is true, then yes, this config will die soon.

I'm not sure, if i was clear enough in my first post. I was hoping that some people would join me with developing by diving into a few filters each. Of course i would happily give all code-specific help/explanations i can. This would also require a history-aware application (not necessarily a full-blown time-intense new project). I hope Keye-U got me right here.

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - sidki3003 - Dec. 24, 2008 04:20 PM

(Dec. 24, 2008 01:16 PM)z12 Wrote:  Sorry to hear about CastleCops, but I guess that wasn't a big surprise.
Since Paul left, the site seemed to be in a holding pattern.
Too bad there's no archives. What a loss.

Hi z12, thanks, also for your precise help with posted sidki-config problems.

I didn't know about all this. Just caught up a little by reading http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,20961731 . Bummer!

Also, regarding the loss of all information contributed by volunteers, I can't say that i perceive this phaseout as fair play.

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - Kye-U - Dec. 24, 2008 04:20 PM

(Dec. 24, 2008 04:14 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  I'm not sure, if i was clear enough in my first post. I was hoping that some people would join me with developing by diving into a few filters each. Of course i would happily give all code-specific help/explanations i can. This would also require a history-aware application (not necessarily a full-blown time-intense new project). I hope Keye-U got me right here.

Yes, I got you covered there Wink

The application will save revisions of a filter, and you will be able to revert to any revision at any time. (I assume this is what you mean by "history-aware")

This is not actually coded yet, but I have this in my development plans.

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - sidki3003 - Dec. 24, 2008 04:25 PM

(Dec. 24, 2008 03:28 PM)43unite Wrote:  You said "I'm confident that i can maintain the generic stuff as well as a good part of the tracking/ad/malevolent site lists." Is it possible to save you a portion of that effort via use of a good 'hosts' file? For example, Proxo users could periodically install a merged hphosts+mvps+lowe hosts file. This can be done individually as desired, or I'd be happy to upload such a maintained one here as needed, because that's what I use. How's that sound?
Heya 43unite,

Well.... That's how JD and i started, but it turned out that a hosts file has different requirements, and is only partly applicable to Proxomitron lists.

Here's how i do it:
Currently, it's sufficient to add around 30 hosts/URLs per year (and remove 10 old ones).

Each new entry should be documented with logged hits, ~3 for major annoyances, >10 for minor ones. To do this, you'd add a temporary log line to the respective list. You'll find an out-commented example log-line at the end of each list. For instance, a new AdHosts test entry would look like...
Code:
traffic.buzzparadise.com
  ($TST(volat=*.log:[12]*)$ADDLST(Log-Rare,ALST AdH traffic.buzzparadise.com\t\u)|)

...and show up in Log-Rare.log like:
Code:
ALST AdH traffic.buzzparadise.com    http://www.pandemia.info/

I hope above technical explanation doesn't sound discouraging! Smile!

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - Kye-U - Dec. 24, 2008 04:29 PM

Sidki, take a look at this thread: http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1189

I wonder if those 4 expressions would be helpful Wink

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - sidki3003 - Dec. 24, 2008 05:18 PM

Let me first get one thing straight, i've shortly mentioned it above.

If/when collective developing gets rolling, i'll probably talk a lot about the technical concepts which are behind the filters and lists. I'm almost certain that this will often sound like nit-picking, kill-joy, and i don't know what. But i can't help it, that's the way the config (and sidki) works. So please don't feel discouraged!

All ad lists rely on hashing (which - IIRC - makes them around 20 times faster). You can see the hash length for each list at http://local.ptron/.pinfo/lists/ . (There are two types of hashes, pre and url, but that doesn't matter right now.)

I try everything possible to keep entries hashable. There is just one exception where i (and JD/Grypen) completely break this rule. At http://local.ptron/.pinfo/lists/AdPaths you'll see [a-z0-9]++banner[a-z0-9]+.
That is because there are so darn many true positives that match this entry.

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - lnminente - Dec. 24, 2008 08:41 PM

(Dec. 24, 2008 04:14 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  Let's not confuse things here. Developing a framework is surely a good idea. However, right now, that is an entirely different beast than keeping the sidki-config uptodate.
I got it and i thank your intention to update your config Sidki, I just maintain the thinking i had a few months ago when i decided to write a new config from scratch and found a lot of problems and saw the big efforts it needs. I just hope nobody will need to waste his time again like we did, and have an easy way to create from the beginning a functional config.

Sad to say i don't have experience with your last config, but i want to learn how it works and extract the needed filters for incorporate them to the framework. I resumed your config to all the filters with .r, of course its only a beginning, these are only the filters required by other filters...

(Dec. 24, 2008 04:14 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  If that is true, then yes, this config will die soon.
Hopefully you came back at the right moment

RE: Delighted to have you back - mozerd - Dec. 24, 2008 10:24 PM

(Dec. 23, 2008 08:01 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  After a while - i'm back to public Proxomitron, and i'll try to keep it that way. :-)
I am absolutely delighted that you're back -- Smile!

And I also would like to strongly encourage you to accept donations via PayPal -- its very easy to set up.

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - leecovuk - Dec. 25, 2008 12:15 PM

Hello Sidki, nice to have you back.
Of course, we have no real idea why and where you and JJoe suddenly went, and presumably it may not be appropriate for you to reveal that.
Anyway, quite an unexpected nice surprise to hear you are back.
I think we all wondered, amongst other things, if your work on Prox configs had just become too much and you wanted no more of 'that damn thing'. If so, be sure to do as you mention and don't let Prox take over your life (again). Something from you is better than nothing!

Take care and, if you celebrate it, merry christmas.
Smile!

Lee

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - Toppy - Dec. 26, 2008 06:00 PM

This is my most wonderful internet-day of 2008.

Great to have you back sidki ! Big Teeth

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - pilyoto - Dec. 27, 2008 06:44 AM

(Dec. 24, 2008 05:18 PM)sidki3003 Wrote:  Let me first get one thing straight, i've shortly mentioned it above.

If/when collective developing gets rolling, i'll probably talk a lot about the technical concepts which are behind the filters and lists. I'm almost certain that this will often sound like nit-picking, kill-joy, and i don't know what. But i can't help it, that's the way the config (and sidki) works. So please don't feel discouraged!

Documenting how your filterset works would be a great help to others who would like to help improve it. So please do so. Smile!

Happy holidays!

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - sidki3003 - Dec. 27, 2008 11:20 AM

That comment was targeted at single filters/lists that are about to be updated by others, not at every phreaking filter/list in the config set. Big Teeth

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - Knivez - Jan. 04, 2009 11:35 AM

Welcome back, Sidki! glad to see you're doing fine Smile!

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - sidki3003 - Jul. 18, 2009 09:57 PM

Regarding further development of this config set:
Normally, the coding of new features is the minor part of the task, and it takes by far longer to test the new code on a wide variety of pages. I can't really do the latter anymore.

So - in case you've decided to test an alpha or beta version - submitting your Log-Rare entries (anonymously via this submission form) is sort of mission critical. Wink

RE: About the sidki-set, its future, and its author(s) - sidki3003 - May. 24, 2010 07:31 PM

After a while, i have some time for public Proxomitron again. I hope it will last long enough to finally get this darned config update released, but i'm not sure.

I did continue with updating a filter now and then, but not too often. All in all, the (last public alpha) config remained refreshingly stable for me. Except for the Google filters. So i'm going to begin with updating (and cutting down) these filters.