The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

Full Version: Proxomitron and ProxHTTPSProxyMII Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Over at MSFN a poster there has started a thread using Proxomitron Reborn and ProxHTTPSProxyMII together ... it was started January 16th.

NotHereToPlayGames / Posted January 16 (edited)

Here I am going to document the steps it takes to configure a web browser to use Proxomitron and ProxHTTPSProxyMII. I will then use the MSFN reply-box "keylogger" as an example of how Proxomitron can prevent/break that "keylogger" (I figure that is an example all users here will be able to relate to.) Proxomitron is extremely powerful - I have used it since 2004 at least but have been away from it for a couple of years (still use it for my weekly Microsoft Excel Web Queries).

I used it exclusively as a web browser filter before migrating to Mypal roughly 3 years ago and then to 360Chrome roughly 1.5 years ago.
I have decided that it is officially time to bring it back into the fold and I am confident that several folks here at MSFN will find it extremely useful.
Proxomitron really is extremely powerful and also can be a bit "intimidating" at first because of how powerful it is - I am hoping this guide will remove all intimidation.

This is Post #2:

The first thing to remember about Proxomitron is that it can be as simple as you want it be or as complex as you want it be - its power is dependant upon its "config file".

The "config file" can be intimidating but if you are familiar with a web browser's "Developer Tools" or "Inspect Element" than Proxomitron is basically only one step more advanced than what you are already familiar with. As previously mentioned, I have been a Proxomitron user since at least 2004 (that's my "joined date" at the forum dedicated to Proxomitron (my username on that forum is "ProxRocks")).

The Proxomitron forum isn't as active as it used to be but there are still some very knowledgeable folks that drop by and with thread views in the thousands (ie, still a much valuable resource).
The "config file" that I use is "based off of" a sidki3003 config file from 12-22-2011 and my last save was 1-28-2018 -- which basically tells me that's when I picked up Mypal and used Proxomitron strictly for Microsoft Excel Web Queries.

The good news is that now there is a newer "base config" than the file I was originally using from 2011.
We will be using this newer base config (1-26-2019) and starting brand new, from the ground up - don't let the "age" of the base config fool you, the power of Proxomitron is dependant on the "filters" we add to the "base config". May end up taking several days to compile this How-To Guide but we'll get there and I am confident that several users here will come to see Proxomitron as a new must-have in their arsenal.

Post #3

These are the files to download (listed in order that they are used in the How-To Guide), do not execute anything yet, just download them --
ProxN45j.zip
zlib32.dll
make-proxcert.zip
Proxo_OpenSSL_101Q_DLLs.zip
ProxomitronReborn_4605R.zip
prox-config-sidki_2019-01-26b1.zip

Not yet used in the How-To Guide --
ProxHTTPSProxyMII 1.5 advanced 34cx_freeze5.0.1urllib3v1.22Win32OpenSSL_Light-1_0_2o-1_1_0h.zip
Launcher.zip

Web Browser + Proxomitron + ProxHTTPSProxyMII --- A How-To Guide

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183295-web-...-to-guide/

Maybe there can be some discussion here about all this, it is different and I hope to understand it better with his Guide when it's finished or maybe it is. I just discovered all this today ... I am a member there at that forum but missed this thread.

If I understand his thread, he is going to merge these two programs together ... or maybe not. It seems to be over my head already but I have not read all 6 pages yet.

Callahan
That's me Cool
I upload "rebuilds" of 360Chrome over at MSFN.
I was away from Proxomitron for a while but am looking to rekindle that friendship Cheers
(Jan. 22, 2022 02:07 PM)Callahan Wrote: [ -> ]If I understand his thread, he is going to merge these two programs together ... or maybe not. It seems to be over my head already but I have not read all 6 pages yet.

Callahan

I have no plans to merge the two programs together.
My only hope is to create a larger user base for beloved Proxomitron.

The "modern web" (and developmental "wars") has forced me away from official Pale Moon / Mypal / New Moon browsers and I now use a Chromium-based web browser called 360Chrome. On XP!

Being on XP, I would not say that I have a 'huge' following over at MSFN, but there are several members there that follow my 360Chrome builds and now my Proxomitron + ProxHTTPSProxyMII thread.

Long Live Proxo!
Long Live XP!
That's great news ProxRocks ... to hear that you are 'one and the same' here and over there. I have been a member at MSFN for years but have not posted anything for a very long time ... I go by Monroe there.

I have also gotten away from using Proxomitron over the last 1 1/2 years or so. I have never quite understood the program enough to use it's full potential. I have had help from you, JJoe and even one time from Sidki before he moved on some time ago. With that help from you guys I was able to understand Proxomitron much better than me 'just going alone' with the program on my Win XP setup. I have two T42 ThinkPads with XP installed and everything is OK for the most part in 2022. I am mostly currently using the New Moon 28 and K-Meleon builds by Roytam1. However, lately I am having trouble with K-Meleon shutting down at several web sites so I am not using it very much at present. New Moon 28 seems to be working OK for me in 2022 with Win XP.

Thanks for writing about your work over there with your 360Chrome builds. I never looked into any of that, I will go there and check out your work and try it on my XP setup. I was under the impression that Chrome stuff didn't work on the older XP OS. I am always looking or interested in a 'better working' browser for Win XP.

Last December I started using a VPN and kind of decided to move away from Proxomitron and just use the VPN for security. They have an APP that works good with Win XP ... not too many VPNs seem to still support XP these days. They have a generous free program when I signed up in Dec 2020 and a few days later after signing up, there was a Christmas special and I paid for a year of service. Everything seemed to be still working great with my Win XP setup and they had a nice Black Friday sale in Nov 2021 ... $69 for three years so I grabbed that deal ... like I said earlier, not very many VPNs work with XP anymore and the company did have a few problems in 2021 which they addressed and fixed.

So over the last year I have not been using Proxomitron as I once did ... and the reason ... in my case' is that I never really understood all the settings and workings as you and JJoe do. Others that have posted here also seem to have a good understanding of the program. Maybe I will put Proxomitron back on ... I have everything in the folder on a flash drive ready to go.

Anyway, nice to hear from you about your work over at the MSFN forum ... I will be spending time there from now on reading your posts. You may hear from "Monroe' over there with questions. I definitely want to check out that Chrome browser work.

Callahan
I have rebuilds on 360Chrome v11, v12, v13, and v13.5 and they all work on XP.
11 is based on Chrome v69.
12 is based on Chrome v78.
13.0 and 13.5 are both based on Chrome v86.

I use v11 99.9% of the time.
And v13.0 the other 0.1% of the time (my water bill web site requires v13 or higher).

I personally "don't trust" v13.5 as much as v13.0 because the original Chinese version started saving "telemetry" data in the same files that store some extension settings (but only those that require a relaunch, then you can delete the file). You need to be creative with the "loader.ini" file to delete *possible* telemetry. My builds are "portable", just download and run, no installation. They do write to the Windows Registry but all entries are removed from the registry when the browser is closed.
Here are some modifications I have made to the sidki_h_2019-01-26b1 config.

I prefer for the "information hovers" to be at the bottom of the web page as opposed to a fixed corner in the viewing pane and on top of the web page.

I also dislike the text-decoration line-through "overhanging" the cookies text.

[attachment=1124]
[attachment=1125]
What's the reason for using Proxomitron Reborn and ProxHTTPSProxyMII? The former can already handle HTTPS filtering without any problem now.
Cool!

Thanks, I guess I assumed we needed ProxHTTPSProxyMII because we did a few years ago when I kinda set Proxomitron to the side as far as using in conjunction with a web browser.

Will investigate...
You are correct! (okay, you already knew that, lol)

I am connected and filtering HTTPS without adding ProxHTTPSProxyMII as part of my "chain".

Much appreciated
I take that back.

I seem to NEED to use ProxHTTPSProxyMII in conjunction with Proxomitron REBORN else the sidki_h_2019-01-26b1 Prox Menu debug links do not get the .css injected.
It should work without ProxHTTPSProxyMII.

What does the browser's console report when the links aren't injected?

(Jan. 24, 2022 01:10 AM)ProxRocks Wrote: [ -> ]I take that back.

I seem to NEED to use ProxHTTPSProxyMII in conjunction with Proxomitron REBORN else the sidki_h_2019-01-26b1 Prox Menu debug links do not get the .css injected.
(Jan. 24, 2022 04:36 AM)JJoe Wrote: [ -> ]It should work without ProxHTTPSProxyMII.

What does the browser's console report when the links aren't injected?

See attached.
[attachment=1126]
I think I got it figured out.

Unless there is a specific reason that these entries were either "0" or "8443" ???

[attachment=1127]
Lets stay with 8443. Works for me should work for you.

Can you open

https://local.ptron/ViewSrc.css

and

https://local.ptron/.pinfo/ssl/

?
(Jan. 24, 2022 11:15 AM)ProxRocks Wrote: [ -> ]Unless there is a specific reason that these entries were either "0" or "8443" ???
(Jan. 24, 2022 05:46 PM)JJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Lets stay with 8443. Works for me should work for you.

Can you open

https://local.ptron/ViewSrc.css

and

https://local.ptron/.pinfo/ssl/

?

Nope. NOTHING opens if I use 8443.

The ONLY way I can get anything to work is using the attached setup.

(ps - I use a different ViewSrc.css, as you may have noticed.)
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's