The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

Full Version: Ads at Microsoft TechNet on Iron browser
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I haven't visited any Microsoft sites in awhile. What did they do? HORRIBLE display on my browsers with unreadable tiny font (on Opera) that is the same size font that used to be just fine at Microsoft sites and is fine at all other sites I browse. I can't use IE6 now at Microsoft sites which I think is shitty of them.

In trying several browsers at both microsoft.com and technet, I noticed that ads are blocked on every browser except Iron/Chrome. Why am I seeing them on Iron? At TechNet, main page, I see ads for Diskeeper on the right side and also more at the bottom of the page. Proxo blocks those on other browsers. Why isn't Proxo blocking them?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

At this one no ads but the font is extremely tiny (Opera):
http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2...etins.aspx
both of those sites are fine on my end when on Opera 11.01.1190 and using sidki's out-of-the-box...
Same setup as ProxRocks and working fine here as well .
Hmm...I guess the problem with the ads I see at TechNet on Iron must be somehow due to the older version of Iron that I have. Although I don't see why that would keep Proxo from blocking the ads. I don't have the latest Iron because the last two versions have "Ask Me" function regarding cookies removed.

The font size at technet is not a Proxo problem, of course, but I sure can't see why it is suddenly so tiny on that site only. Maybe it is due to my monitor not being widescreen. It is an older Dell Ultrasharp 19" LCD in 5:4 ratio. I noticed Microsoft seems to have redone their sites with a very distinct preference for cell phone users as the site no longer even begins to fill my screen and even Opera's "fit to width" does not help much. The site displays cramped up in the center of the screen which would be fine on a cell phone.
i didn't test in Iron, i tested in Opera...
i could run 'em through Iron later on if you'd like...

ps - my two monitors on the computer i tested are both 17's, not wide-screen...
Both sites look ok in Opera 11.01 and ChromePlus 1.5.1.1, here.
No ads and the pages look about the same. Some of the print is small and light, however.

Some possibilities:
Having a minimum font size set for Opera but not Iron could explain the font size problem.
Not setting Iron to use the Proxomitron could explain the ads.
Setting the Proxomitron to allow the ads when using Iron could explain the ads.

Proxomitron could send a IE7 User-Agent header to Microsoft sites, which might allow you to use IE6 there.
(Feb. 26, 2011 12:57 AM)JJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Some possibilities:
Having a minimum font size set for Opera but not Iron could explain the font size problem.
Not setting Iron to use the Proxomitron could explain the ads.

Proxomitron could send a IE7 User-Agent header to Microsoft sites, which might allow you to use IE6 there.

Sigh. I'm getting too old. I joined the FCC/Sam Knows Broadband testing project and got my Netgear router last month. I had an awful time configuring it as my browsers had problems with the Netgear setup page and bypassing Proxo seemed to help. I also tried a direct connection and, on Iron, I forgot later to put it back to using a local proxy. So, it wasn't until I read your comment that my memory was jarred and I looked, and sure enough, I left Iron on direct connection. I don't use Iron very much so I had not noticed ads at other sites which might have jogged my memory eventually. Anyhow, no more ads now that Proxo is being used with Iron again.

I had forgotten that Iron doesn't have a minimum font size setting so that could be why the font is so tiny on Opera but not on Iron at the Microsoft sites.

I didn't think about having Proxo send IE7 user agent header. That might work. In a related aside, Opera no longer allows one to globally set (Mask as) the user agent string to Fx or IE but to do so only on a per site basis. (You can use the "Identify as" globally still in Opera but that tacks on an Opera ID at the end of the UA which is removed when "Mask as" is used). However, Proxo removes the Opera ID at the end of the UA when you use "Identify as" which effectively means you are Masking as Fx globally if also using Proxo. So, I have Opera now identifying at all sites as Fx 3.5.9.9.
does Iron still use IE's proxy settings?
or have it's "makers" finally created a fully INDEPENDENT browser?

i've never understood why an "IE alternative" would ever think it 'wise' to rely on IE settings...
Actually, using IE's proxy settings (and other IE settings) is a Chromium/Chrome thing as far as I know. I agree that is screwy and I don't know why Google does that. Iron just takes whatever is in Chrome and strips out the tracking and other anti privacy stuff. Iron is a one man show and if posts I read purporting to show Iron's maker having a conversation on IRC (that this person saved a copy of), are true Iron was developed to get folks to visit SRWare's website. SRWare finally stated recently that he cannot put Ask Me cookie function back in Iron as it would be too big of an effort. This reinforces the notion that Iron is VERY LITTLE more than Chrome with Google's tracking removed. Chrome uses a lot of IE's settings.
my "hunch" is that all of the Google privacy concerns are being removed by PROXO anyway...

Iron, imo, is for Chrom(e|ium) users that don't know how to use Proxo...
Reference URL's