The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

Full Version: Project: Flash Tutorial for Proxomitron
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

Quote:Wink is a Tutorial and Presentation creation software, primarily aimed at creating tutorials on how to use software (like a tutor for MS-Word/Excel etc). Using Wink you can capture screenshots of your software, use images that you already have, type-in explanations for each step, create a navigation sequence complete with buttons, delays, titles etc and create a highly effective tutorial for your users.

I'd like all members of this message board to contribute information/ideas/suggestions on this.

Is it a good idea? Smile!
Kye-U;
Quote:Is [this] a good idea?
A good idea in what way? What are you aiming for?

Oddysey
Oddysey Wrote:Kye-U;
Quote:Is [this] a good idea?
A good idea in what way? What are you aiming for?
Promoting Proxomitron to the web! [lol]

I think that most users are scared of the New Filter Screen where they are staring at a screen with blank fields. It's like a whole new world to them. Well, it is Smile!

I've had that experience, and I turned Proxomitron away, but then I came back after my pop-up killer failed to kill a pop-up, so I looked for a more powerful solution.

Proxomitron was there. Wink
Kye-U;

Ah, grasshopper, now you are starting to make sense. [groan] A complete thought train does wonders for those with sleepy eyes (like me).

Yes, a tutorial would be more than just a little bit nice. Perhaps you could get proxomitron.info to carry it too, or at least point to it here. After that, we take over the whole world!

Just remember, when something is designed by a team, it takes twice as long to code it. If it is coded by a team, it will never be released. [no joke] If you want something like this, then I humbly suggest that you code up a front end with a few sample pages, and let us suggest edits. Team editing is good, and doesn't add too much time to the overhead.

Either that, or we make a project out of it, ala SourceForge, and assign duties, etc. Your call on how to handle this one, but I'll help anyway I can.

Oddysey
Oddysey Wrote:Either that, or we make a project out of it, ala SourceForge, and assign duties, etc. Your call on how to handle this one, but I'll help anyway I can.
Good Idea, we can assign different sections...like Filter Writing, an interactive FAQ, Header filters, Web Filters...

But then we might need a more advanced program to do this in... [unsure]

Wink looks a bit less feature-filled as I thought....it only supports screenshots and plays it in a PowerPoint kind of way...
How about 'buying' flash from Macromedia? Wink
Shea;

How about introducing the world's most overlooked backdoor into everyone's machine? You did realize, did you not, that Flash uses a re-named javascript language? That's right, boobykins, it's ECMA in a new set of "emperor's clothes".

The problem? It contains commands that can be used to peruse a directory/folder, and d/l or u/l any file from the server to the client, or from the client to the server. These commands are obeyed in all versions of javascript engines that have ever been shipped with a browser.

Don't believe me? Google for a javascript reference work, and check out the Download() series of functions. While you're at it, take a peek at the Upload() series too. Now you understand why I don't allow any Flash since version 4 to run on my machine.

Now, if someone would kindly code up a "Flash data stream checker", ala the Proxomitron, I'd be so tickled pink that I'd kiss their booty on the downtown courthouse steps, and give 'em a full hour to draw a crowd! Does that tell you how much I'd appreciate such a proggie? Wink Big Teeth

Let's stick with the simple stuff, eh? I'd at least give Wink a good try before dismissing it.

Kye-U, what's so wrong with a PP slide show? Or is it totally non-interactive? (Is the user locked into a one-way street with no way to control the flow?)

Oddysey
Oddysey Wrote:Now you understand why I don't allow any Flash since version 4 to run on my machine.
amen brother...
It's a great idea.A picture is worth a thousand words-especially where getting to grips with complex software is concerned.

I certainly think that newcomers to Proxomitron would benefit.More newcomers to Proxomitron leads hopefully to competant users of Proxomitron.Ultimately leading to better-informed,safer surfers...

...or is that an idealistic fantasy?
Quote:I'd like all members of this message board to contribute information/ideas/suggestions on this.
Is there no other way to produce a graphical presentation besides Shockwave Flash? I do not have it plugged into Firefox, nor am I ever likely to. The only Flash items I view are those which I can download in entirety and then play with Irfanview, and those are not interactive with anything on the web.
Hmm,

There seems to be a rather well-informed backlash against Flash. That's a good thing.

[Note to Kye-U: we need a pair of "Hetfield" smilies - the arm sweeps horizontally across the lower level. To show "xxx - Good!", the arm would go from right to left for good, with appropriate teeth smiling. For "crap - Bad!", the arm would move from left to right, with a ferocious frown.] [[And God help the first one of you bozos who proposes a "Martha" smilie - for those times when "that's a good thing"!! :o]]

Now that I've implanted a visual cue, let's move on....

Kye-U, you haven't yet answered the question - can a Wink presentation be controlled by the user, or is it a one-way ticket?

I have no little experience in constructing logic flows of the sort used in education. (Some of you will remember that I'm a former adult-education teacher.) I'd be happy to work up a flow diagram, if you need a starting point from which to work.

Oddysey
I don't think it allows the user to control it. It only lets them start it, and replay it... >_<

I will look for those smilies...LOL!
If you're going to produce a Tutorial Help guide for newbie's then perhaps you should investigate a product from a South African group called Biit Software.

They are trying to make a name for themselves and have produced some interesting software http://biitsoft.com/products/helpmaster/index.htm

http://biitsoft.com/contactus/index.htm
mozerd;

I checked out that site - either they don't keep it up to date, or else their products are not yet ready for release to the public. And that's not to mention their pricing structure! This looks like it might be a good product when it's all done, but it's obviously for the well-heeled, not for a volunteer outfit like us.

mozerd, my friend, I know this sounds a bit ungrateful, but that's simply not true. Anyone who contributes is appreciated, period. Truly, thanks for your help so far. Please keep up the research, and your suggestions.

But you know, after re-reading this, even I think that I'm sounding off mighty boldly, for an old fart. So let me ask the members of this forum: Does anybody here think that an interactive presentation would be a waste of time and energy? Is there some other way to present the <span style='color:#AD080A'>UPT</span>* that we've overlooked so far?

Oddysey

*<span style='color:AD080A'>UPT</span> = <span style='color:AD080A'>Ultimate Proxomitron Tutorial</span>
Hi all,

I think most people using proxo aren't interested in writing filters, especially new users. They want to know how to make it work with their browser, and how to load a config somebody else wrote.

Just my 2 cents
Mike
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's