The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

Full Version: Vista Ultimate 64bit Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a long time Proxo user, but for some time I've been lying low.

I've just upgraded to a new Core i7 PC with Vista Ultimate 64bit and am having trouble getting Proxo up and running.

I've managed to get it going with sidki-config: Feb 13 2009, but am having a problem adding my "customisations" to things like the [Bypass List].

I open it up via Proxo [Edit Blockfile], paste in my additions and when I try to save it, it won't let me, something about not finding the path, or whatever.

This is my 2nd day using Vista (in any manner) and I'm a total "newb".

A nudge or two in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Have you tried changing to compatibility mode "Windows XP SP2"?
To do that go to the explorer and righ click in proxomitron.exe, properties
(May. 13, 2009 12:52 PM)lnminente Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried changing to compatibility mode "Windows XP SP2"?
To do that go to the explorer and righ click in proxomitron.exe, properties
Thanks for the tip, but nothing changed, see attached.

Al
browse to the file using your choice of "file manager"...

can you open the file with a "notepad-like" text editor, your choice, make the changes, save from within said text editor, then just have Proxo "reload edited lists"?
Ouch, Vista ... I'll try to stay positive ...

Vista virtualizes real files, depending on what path hierarchy they are located in. It goes out of its way to "protect" the contents of the "\Program Files\" directory (and other directories), even for the "Admin" user (the real "Administrator" user is disabled as I recall).

You'll find your real files somewhere totally unexpected, certainly somewhere that Proxo wouldn't be able to guess. They're actually in someplace like:

C:\Users\(your id)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Proxomitron\ ...

Of course Microsoft decided to make several of those sub-dirs along that path hidden / system file attributes, so you wouldn't normally have a chance of finding them.

Ugh ... desperately trying to stay positive ...

Fortunately your solution may not be too difficult. First, uninstall Proxo. Next, re-install it into a custom location. I suggest installing it into the drive's root as "C:\Proxomitron". If you love Vista then you might also consider "C:\Users\Public\Proxomitron" or "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Proxomitron".

Stay away from the \Program Files\ and similar "normal" paths. If you don't then Vista will bite you by silently defending the content from things that were not put there by a setup program. New files will get virtualized and changed files will only be changed in a private virtual version. Vista's virtualization will be havoc with programs that change stuff, especially when there's multiple users involved.

By the way, this issue is not unique to Proxo at all. It's the way that Vista and its UAC function.
I think I've solved the problem.

As [Graycode] mentioned, it lies within Vista's over protectiveness.

By {Default} you cannot change ANYTHING in [C:\Program Files] (x86 or otherwise).

So I went into (My) [Documents], created a new folder there called [My Program Files] and moved Proxo from [C;\Program Files (x86)] to the new folder. Problem solved.

I wouldn't be using Vista either, but when buying a new PC, I wanted a high end Core i7 and Vista Ultimate 64bit seemed the way to go and gives me a reasonable upgrade path to Win7.

So far I don't like Vista at all, but I figure most of that is down to using XP for the last ~8 years.
OT, but why can't I get my signature to appear on my posts? Hmmmm … it seems if I'm not logged in, it shows, but as soon as I log in, I don't see it. Odd …
I have Vista with UAC disabled, no SP1 because very probable it was causing my laptop to turn on by itself... And Windows 7 will have a more configurable UAC because it has many restrictions actually, so maybe you could just disable it and see if it also solves your problem for this and other software.
(May. 14, 2009 02:18 AM)lnminente Wrote: [ -> ]I have Vista with UAC disabled, no SP1 because very probable it was causing my laptop to turn on by itself... And Windows 7 will have a more configurable UAC because it is have many restrictions actually, so maybe you could just disable it and see if it also solves your problem for this and other software.
When I find time (too busy loading software), I intend to track down and disable UAC myself. As a sole user it seems silly to be questioning everything I want to do, but hey, it is MS. Banging Head
you think MS is bad, just wait 'til Google releases an OS... Big Teeth
(May. 14, 2009 12:18 PM)ProxRocks Wrote: [ -> ]you think MS is bad, just wait 'til Google releases an OS... Big Teeth
Please, I have to sleep nights.Pray
Reference URL's