The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

Full Version: Proxo/ Windows & Privoxy for Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all - looking for some advice here.

I have used Proxo for years. I have set up a dual boot setup with Vista & Ubuntu8.10 and played around the last few days.

I have Firefox 3.06 configured and running fine in U8.10 but have not tried to run Proxo in any way. I have NoScript and AdBlock as extensions (among others) and have checked off "Block pop-ups" something I never under Windows with Proxo...

Seems fine and fast, but NoScript is kinda cludgy and intrusive, maybe it needs time to learn, but I miss the transparent Proxo.

Someone on the Ubuntu forums suggested Privoxy as an alternative to Proxo. It seems that they are not clones, and that filters are not compatible, in fact a site that Kye-U had mentioned a few months back (neilvandyke) mentions that he is no longer maintaining or using the filters for Privoxy...

Question - Is Privoxy a direct stand in for Proxo, or should I just stick to AdBlock and NoScript?

Thanks!

dmc
On my Mac, I use BFilter for Mac (does not filter headers, however), plus Adblock Plus with Easylist subscription, Flashblock, and also Blocksite. I am using YesScript instead of NoScript because I prefer to disable Javascript only if it causes problems. I did write a couple of extra filters for BFilter to block the Javascript commands onunload and onbeforeunload.
(Feb. 21, 2009 10:10 PM)deadmanschest Wrote: [ -> ]Is Privoxy a direct stand in for Proxo, or should I just stick to AdBlock and NoScript?
I've been running Proxo on openSUSE, via Wine, for over 4 years without problems. It's easy.

Privoxy is not a good substitute for Proxo. I investigated it and tried it. It cannot replicate anywhere near the functionality of Proxo, nor is it designed to.

AdBlock and NoScript are also fully functional on my box and do not cause any issues with Proxo. Again, they are not a substitute for Proxo and are not designed with Proxo's capabilities.

There is no substitute for Proxomitron.

Why don't you just run Proxo with AdBlock and NoScript? Once you've learned to configure NoScript properly it is not kludgy nor intrusive. It is an excellent security device and performs its job remarkably well.

I have a dual boot with OEM install WinXP. I use the identical Proxo setup for both OSes. That makes it sooooooooo easy. Smile!

Here's a screenshot of Proxo in openSUSE's tray functioning just like in Windows:
(Feb. 22, 2009 01:12 PM)43unite Wrote: [ -> ]I've been running Proxo on openSUSE, via Wine, for over 4 years without problems. It's easy.

Could you post a "Prox via Wine in Linux" HowTo?
I'll add it to the docs (probably FAQ) then.

Thus far i only managed to get it working (openSUSE 11.1, KDE), if logged in as root.
That doesn't say much though, because i hardly know anything about Linux.
Be happy to Sidki. Here's my first go at it. If anyone has changes or suggestions, finds errors, etc. please contribute. Perhaps members will try this install on their Linux distros and can provide more input. Smile!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

The following instructions are based on running Proxomitron on openSUSE 11.1 and KDE 3.5.10.

For other Desktop Environments (ie. KDE4, XFCE, GNOME, etc.) the basic concepts should be similar. There are so many distros, with a multitude of DEs, and such enormous configuration possibilities that these instructions may need to be tweaked for other systems.

Proxo runs in Linux under Wine (or a similar translation layer). For more information about Wine visit:
WineHQ - http://winehq.org/
Wine: Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)
Wine-Doors: Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine-Doors

Wine should be available for installation from a distribution's repositories. If not, it can be compiled and installed from source. If further assistance is required then consulting the distro's docs and forums and online searching may prove valuable.

On openSUSE the default root installation automatically includes these directories:
/usr/bin/wine, /usr/lib/wine, /usr/bin/X11/wine, /usr/share/wine, /usr/share/man/man1/wine.1.gz and /home/<xxxx>/.wine (where <xxxx> is the user directory name).

Wine-Doors could also optionally be installed (see above link).

Once Wine is installed, download Proxomitron.exe to the /home directory, where 'exec' needs to be permitted in /etc/fstab (since /home is designed for user access it should be ok by default).

When left clicking on the .exe for execution your distro will probably ask you to tell it how to open the .exe file. Tell it "wine" (without the quotes). Linux cannot and does not know how to handle Windows executables by default. That's definitely a feature! Again, these details may vary between distros.

Wine should install, using the familiar dialog boxes as it does in Windows, in a location similar to this:
/home/<xxxx>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Proxomitron Naoko-4.
This is where the user accessible Proxo folders, configurations, and other files reside.
Create symlinks to the Proxo executable as desired if not automatically created as they are with KDE 3.5 on openSUSE (file locations may need to be bracketed something like this:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/<xxxx>/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Proxomitron Naoko-4\Proxomitron.exe" (quotes needed because of blank spaces).
The distro should natively know how to do this. 'env WINEPREFIX=' tells the distro to open (execute) the file via Wine. This is performed automatically when installing/linking to KDE's 'K Menu'.

Other programs installed to run under Wine will be similarly located. Take a look in the Wine directory and become familiar with it. You'll find the 'Windows' structures located here /home/<xxxx>/.wine/drive_c/windows.

Notice that '.wine' is a hidden directory. This can be made visible by default, if desired.

A distro can be configured to associate the .exe file extension (and/or others) with Wine. This is strongly NOT recommended for security reasons.

Proxomitron can be made to load automatically at boot. Under KDE 3.5 simply symlink from "The Proxomitron.desktop" in /home/<xxxx>/.local/share/applications to /home/<xxxx>/.kde/Autostart. Check with your DE & distro for something similar.

Under openSUSE/KDE 3.5 Proxo runs as it does under Windows with the icon displayed and functional in the taskbar's notification area (aka system tray). Desktop and menu links were created automatically, so openSUSE's Wine/Proxo install was simple and straightforward. Again, details may vary from distro to distro.

Proxomitron should run fine in a user account. If it doesn't then there is a problem.

If problems are encountered try executing Wine and/or Proxo as user in a console/terminal (try root, if necessary, afterwards). This will provide information that may help resolve any issues.

So basically: On openSUSE 11.1/KDE 3.5 install Wine then install Proxomitron. Configure Proxo & the browsers appropriately.

There are other other Wine related methodologies that the user can learn over time.

Do not run as root (always good advice)!!!
Great -- Thanks!
Current draft attached as ASCII file.

edit: attachment replaced with version 2.
I made an error:

Wine should install, using the familiar dialog boxes as it does in Windows

should read:

Proxomitron should install, using the familiar dialog boxes as it does in Windows

Sorry.

I'm going to sleep on this tonight and see if anything else needs to be added. Feedback is always appreciated.
Above attachment updated accordingly.
Feel free to edit that file yourself, of course!
Once ready, i think it would be nice if other config/filter/Prox-patch authors would include the document with their releases too. Smile!
Updated to version 3. Numerous changes.
Prox_on_Linux.txt Wrote:Instructions for installing Proxomitron on openSUSE 11.1 running KDE 3.5.10.

I liked the "are based on" part in the previous versions, because it makes clear that the described procedures are probably also helpful for other distro/DE mixes (and future versions thereof).

For instance, they are identical for SUSE/KDE 4.2 RC2.
(Jul. 13, 2009 02:08 AM)sidki3003 Wrote: [ -> ]
Prox_on_Linux.txt Wrote:Instructions for installing Proxomitron on openSUSE 11.1 running KDE 3.5.10.

I liked the "are based on" part in the previous versions, because it makes clear that the described procedures are probably also helpful for other distro/DE mixes (and future versions thereof).

For instance, they are identical for SUSE/KDE 4.2 RC2.
Ahhh, I did not know about SUSE/KDE 4.2 RC2. OK, thanks.
We'll go back to the "are based on"...

So the first part will read:

The following instructions are based on running Proxomitron on openSUSE 11.1
and KDE 3.5.10.

Installation procedures may require tweaking for other distributions and/or
other desktop environments.

Proxomitron runs in Linux via Wine (or a similar translation layer). Without
such a device Linux cannot understand, install nor execute Windows executables.

For more information about Wine visit: ...

How's that part? And the rest?

BTW - Do you have a preferred text margin width?
(Jul. 13, 2009 03:14 AM)43unite Wrote: [ -> ]How's that part? And the rest?

Just fine, both. Except for the second sentence from the bottom, which is over-edited and should probably read:
Quote:There are other Wine related methodologies that can be learned over time.

Quote:BTW - Do you have a preferred text margin width?

I like to keep the ASCII docs readable w/o wrapping in all editors, including console ones.
Hence maximum 80 chars per line.

I also try to not use <tab> anymore, because some editors do 4 spaces instead of the standard 8.
(Jul. 13, 2009 04:17 AM)sidki3003 Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul. 13, 2009 03:14 AM)43unite Wrote: [ -> ]How's that part? And the rest?
Just fine, both. Except for the second sentence from the bottom, which is over-edited and should probably read:
Quote:There are other Wine related methodologies that can be learned over time.

Agreed. Since this statement did not pertain to the subject I've just deleted it.

(Jul. 13, 2009 04:17 AM)sidki3003 Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul. 13, 2009 03:14 AM)43unite Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:BTW - Do you have a preferred text margin width?
I like to keep the ASCII docs readable w/o wrapping in all editors, including console ones.
Hence maximum 80 chars per line.
I also try to not use <tab> anymore, because some editors do 4 spaces instead of the standard 8.

No tabs and wrapped at 79.
No further suggestions for improvement, so i think your walk-through is fine as is.
I've added it to the sidki-etc docs (online and offline).

Thanks again! Smile!
Thanks for asking. Glad to help!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's