The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

Full Version: What's Your Main Internet Browser?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox
Safari
Opera
Google Chrome/Chromium
K-Meleon
Others...

For me, I use Chrome/Chromium, Firefox and Opera sparingly.
Right now I'm using Opera 10 (Alpha) as my default browser. The integrated mouse gestures and the "smooth" scrolling are just awesome. I also like the Magic Wand (CTRL + Enter), which makes logging into forums and email accounts much faster.

Which one(s) do you use, and why do you like it/them? Eyes Closed Smile
Opera is my major browser to open new sites. I like most the "Cached Images" mode and I disable javascript most time. That 2 settings help speeding up page loading and putting your focus on text, and remove all ads driven by js. At any time when I want to see images on that page, I could just press I to load all images at once; or press Shift+I to switch to "Show Images" mode, which not only load all images, but also make all links opened from that page inherit the "Show Images" mode. Besides that, I like also the ability to set cookie, display and network preferences per site.

Firefox is the second browser I use at the same time, with fixed tabs opened for work, mainly google service like gmail, google docs, google calendar etc. I seldom use it to surf new sites. I have another Firefox profile with firebug extension installed, only used sometimes for debugging.

GreenBrower (an IE shell) is the third browser but I don't have it open all the time. I use it only when the site uses Active X or it can only render well under IE core.
It's mainly Opera and Firefox for me.

I don't use tabbed browsing. Normally I've got several browser windows open and other things like editors, command prompt, etc. Tabs are great when the browser's maximized and that's all I'm doing. Normally I'm frequently switching between various application windows and nothing's maximized.

With every new release of Opera I have to spend a chunk of time editing its menus to show (for example) New Home Page and Open in New Window in the File menu instead of just Tabs things. It's neat to be able to customize things like menus, certainly not possible with any application that I've written.

Having done some stints in the security arena I shy away from IE as much as possible. IE today may not have as many faults as it used to. I had some bad experiences years ago with Microsoft refusing to acknowledge (much less address) what seemed like real security issues. Back then they didn't care that I'd be holding a grudge forever & ever Smile!
Firefox. It is very versatile because of the possiblilties available from different extensions, its appearance can be changed by themes, the toolbars and other parts of the window are customizable by a stylesheet. It has a lot of customizable settings that control its behaviour as well. It is also possible to backup all your settings easily.
most used at the top, least/seldom used at the bottom...

GreenBrowser (should be of little surprise to followers of this forum, lol)

1) tabbed but set to NOT display an "empty" tab - if NO pages are opened, displaying an "empty" tab shows the "low IQ" of a browser !!!
2) i do NOT want the tab bar "hidden" when no (or one!) tab is opened...
3) highly customizable...
4) hotkeys...
5) toolbar - Proxo 'allow scripts', Proxo 'debug', Proxo 'toggle kills'...
6) "edit HTML" plug-in...
7) mouse-wheel zooming...
8) portable...

Opera@USB

1) set up to display the tab bar BELOW! the address/search bar...
2) set up for no "empty" tabs...
3) set up for no 'stupid' "speed dial"...
4) very efficient rendering...
5) portable...
6) DISADVANTAGE = hotkey access to search field box does *NOT* work if NO tabs are present in the tab bar...
7) edit: (almost forgot this one) - DISADVANTAGE = search box not resizable (even Firefox's now FINALLY is)...

Portable Sleipnir

1) RSS reader...
2) Headline ticker reader...
3) screen/area snapshot capture...
4) preview inactive tabs by hovering on its tab...
5) portable...
6) DISADVANTAGE = stupid "about:blank" when NO tabs are open...

Maxthon (copied to USB as portable)

1) weather/forecast plug-in...
2) DISADVANTAGE = stupid "Blank Page" when NO tabs are open...
3) portable...

Portable Firefox

1) Firebug plug-in...
2) portable...
3) DISADVANTAGE = stupid "about:blank" when NO tabs are open...
4) DISADVANTAGE = "hiding" the tab bar when one! ('cause you can't get NONE) tabs are shown...
5) DISADVANTAGE = false sense of security...
ProxRocks Wrote:Opera@USB
5) DISADVANTAGE = hotkey access to search field box does *NOT* work if NO tabs are present in the tab bar...
I just tested Opera 10.00 Build 1139 with Standard Keyboard setup and "Allow Window with No Tabs" checked, The Ctrl+E can move the focus to search box.
interesting indeed...
maybe "they" have been listening to my complaints after all, lol (have they made the size of the search box resizable yet? that's another "dis" with Opera [that even Firefox has finally fixed])... edit: nope, still stuck with the width they give you...

i d/l'd the 10.0 alpha (for virtual-install only until an @USB is released)...
let's cross our fingers that the tabless-hotkey still works when it goes "public"...
Mine is firefox 3.0.4, it's not the fastest rendering but i can highly customize it. I use two profiles, and my mainly profile has the everyday addons. Waiting for 3.1 with his new javascript ENGINE Big Teeth

Don't hiding the taskbar when only one tab. (Tools/preferences/Tabs/Show always)
My menu is only a button, so more space for useful buttons (Compact menu 2)
The search box, autoresizes while i'm writing (Searchbar Autosizer)
No caption, so more vertical space free for web viewing
Undo closed tabs
RSS feeds
Update scanner for webs
New emails notifications
Control/edit of every cookie with CS Lite
Synchronization of bookmarks between different computers
Different profiles, and easy to move
Custom buttons with javascript commands
Running FF and having the same open tabs i had last time i closed it
JSView, to know what CSS and JS files are loaded by the actual html
Greasemonkey
Stylish
Firebug
DownloadHelper
Start/stop buttons in only one button

The disadvantage is the first loading time after booting the computer, but disabling the windows media player plugin it makes it faster for me. I saw it watching the time log in Filemon from sysinternals.

Thinking in running it always inside Sandboxie Smile!
Firefox has been my main browser since about version .2
Standards compliance and debugging tools being the main reason.

That being said, I still haven't upgraded to v3.
I don't like some of the changes that were made to the js engine.
Overall, I'm concerned about the direction Firefox is heading.

I used Opera for awhile, I have no major complaints with it.
However, getting Opera to reload proxo's js after an edit has been a problem.
Always ended up having to restart the browser.
V 9.26 was the last version I tried.

I rarely use IE, I don't trust it no matter how much I lock it down.
It's integration into the os is my main concern.
That's also why I don't use ie shells.

I tried Chrome for about 5 minutes, then uninstalled it.
I didn't like the fact that it used IE settings.
I might give it another go.

I haven't tried Safari yet.

z12
Opera is my favorite . Actually I was introduced to Opera on this forum by another member ; Opera is safe , fast , readily customizable , has great skins and has some very useful buttons ; logging into forums very simple by left and right click . JS enabled/disabled with single click . Images easily saved , enlarged , and details easily studied . Keeps notes at quickly at hand . Page rendering is smooth and fast . Maxthon2 is also decent but a distant second .
Opera is my current most used. I do like "Speed Dial" though. Smile!

I do like FF 3.0.5 though; it is similar to Opera.

Smile!
I have been very keen on Firefox 2 for a long time, mainly due to the addons support and Greasemonkey;
Since FF2 reached end of life, I have been and am scouring the internet and trying other browsers in an attempt to find something similar without the FF3 Awesome Bar or similar which I cannot tolerate. I know it's only a web browser, but I just find the 'clever' url bar algorithms no help and an annoyance. I know there are some tweaks you can apply, but nothing to rid the Awesome-ness fully and effectively.

I've tried, some only briefly, Opera, Google Chrome, K-Meleon, Avant, Orca, Safari, and looked a little into available addons.
I am currently trying Seamonkey 2.0a2 which is going some way towards emulating Firefox2 + Thunderbird, for example, but it isn't there yet. It may end up, anyway, more like FF3 + Thunderbird. (same Gecko core)

Any suggestions for me? Smile!

My needs, in order of importance, are simple but apparently elusive:-

1) Firefox 2/IE7 -like address bar functionality and behaviour.

2) Ability to run Greasemonkey or a very close equivalent which (importantly) runs the scripts from userscripts.org I am currently running in Firefox or Seamonkey 2.0a2. (as you all probably know, non-Gecko/Mozilla browsers don't like many of the Firefox-aimed scripts)

3) Ability to customise the UI and toolbars using 'drag and drop' techniques, add separators etc.

4) Fairly extensive and active (free) addon/extension support.

Can you advise me on a magical solution?
I'm assuming, sadly, I will shortly have to resurrect the last build of FF2 and just use it although unsupported and potentially decreasingly secure.

Thanks a lot,
Lee
Smile!
Quote:2) Ability to run Greasemonkey or a very close equivalent which (importantly) runs the scripts from userscripts.org I am currently running in Firefox or Seamonkey 2.0a2. (as you all probably know, non-Gecko/Mozilla browsers don't like many of the Firefox-aimed scripts)

Quote:## insert user stylesheet $SET(sUserCSS=CSS_NAME)
##
## By default, CSS_NAME can be one of the three included W3C core styles:
## chocolate, oldstyle, or steely.
##
## You may also write your own CSS, prefix the filename with "user-", e.g.
## "user-janedoe.css", copy it to "html\sidki_h_xxxx-xx-xx\CSS\", and invoke
## it with an entry like:
## mysite.com/ $SET(sUserCSS=janedoe)
## ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a look at this in the file IncludeExclude.ptxt. Seems on to support CSS (userstyles.org), some of the CSS don't format correctly sometimes.

Wonder if they can do the same thing for javascripts
Hello Bugger,

Thanks, but I don't understand what you mean.
Are you meaning some kind of generic way to make Firefox-aimed userscripts cross-browser compatible?

All I really know about the IncludeExclude.ptxt and its -U version are where they are, and, with spoonfeeding from people here, how to make the occasional entry in the -U version.
I have a loose grasp of basic html and css, and no grasp of javascript or regular expressions.
I can appreciate, however, that those of you who previously were at my level and then actually made the effort to learn, probably have little sympathy for those like me who just shrug and say 'I don't understand it and never will' ! I guess you need the interest and desire, which for me, is lacking. Inconvenient as that indeed can be.

Lee
With Stupid

Smile!
Quote:Are you meaning some kind of generic way to make Firefox-aimed userscripts cross-browser compatible?
Isn't JavaScript a standard? So if a browser nearly passes the ACID 3 test. Then it should work on most JavaScript regardless of the browser.

Let me give you an example how to insert user CSS with proxomitron.

Let say you want to change the CSS in digg.com.

1. Add the CSS file with "user-xxxxxxxxxx.css" into folder html\sidki_h_2008-01-02\CSS. xxxxxx is what ever you want to call you file
2. Using text editor open IncludeExclude.ptxt
3. Find section where
Code:
## insert user stylesheet            $SET(sUserCSS=CSS_NAME)
##
## By default, CSS_NAME can be one of the three included W3C core styles:
## chocolate, oldstyle, or steely.
##
## You may also write your own CSS, prefix the filename with "user-", e.g.
## "user-janedoe.css", copy it to "html\sidki_h_xxxx-xx-xx\CSS\", and invoke
## it with an entry like:
## mysite.com/                    $SET(sUserCSS=janedoe)
## ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
piro.sakura.ne.jp/                $SET(sUserCSS=chocolate)
digg.com/                    $SET(sUserCSS=digg)

4. Add the url you want the CSS to insert. In this case its "digg.com"
5. Use "$SET(sUserCSS=xxxxxxxxx)". Again xxxxx is the file name part of "user-xxxxxxx.css"
6. Save and reload and it should work.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's