The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

Full Version: Wi-Fi directional antena
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Build a directional wireless router antenna signal booster for less than
a buck.

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/tem...index.html

You can use materials from around the house to build a signal booster
for your wireless router's antenna. It has the added benefit of making
the signal directional so that it doesn't 'scatter' to all the
neighbors, but can increase the signal strength in the far end of your
yard or house.

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/tem...index.html
I've been to that website YoKenny. It's pretty cool. I don't have a wireless network set up in my house so I haven't been able to try any of the antena designs. Have you made any of them?
Thanks for the link, I think I am going to try that out. My son has one area of the house that has a bit of a weak signal with his laptop; this may be the perfect solution. Smile!
I don't have a wireless network but thought this info would come in handy to someone.
YoKenny;

Seeing as you're not using wireless (yet), I thank you for contributing something that might be useful to others, even though not to yourself at the moment. Please don't take my comments in a negative, or personal, way.

~~~~~~~~~~
Everybody else;

Speaking as an Amateur Radio Operator (HAM) of more than 40 years of experience, I think I qualify to give an opinion on antennas. Additionally, I hold an EE in both Ancient and Modern Electronics Design Theory, not to mention more than a few years of working for Uncle Sam in the use of my knowledge vis-a-vis antennas and non-localized communications. (Government speak for anything more advanced than two tin cans and a string.)

More or less, the big problem is not that a parabola won't work, it's that two parabolas working in tandem can only harm the signal field, they can't help it. I won't go into the math, but just for fun, consider why all the better access point units have two antennas. (Hint: it's called the field diversity effect.)

However, I would try this on a single-antenna APU, before I gave up on it for failure to work as advertised. Most of those units are underdesigned and overpriced, but this "fix" just might be what the designer intended in the first place.

And yes, I do use wireless now, with a dual-antenna Netgear jobbie, and it works great with my Toshiba Satellite. (All of my desktops are still wired, but that's a good thing, isn't it? [unsure]) No additional "antenna helpers" are needed, as I get about 70 feet of "Good" or better on my Wireless Networking icon (in the System Tray). As Alfred E. Neuman was wont to say "What, me worry?"!

Ciao, eh? Cheers

Oddysey
Reference URL's