How to know which filter to change?
Oct. 20, 2006, 10:41 PM
How to know which filter to change?
Howdy all. Just found this great program, but I have one question. Let's say there is a specific site I wish to apply a different filter set than my standard. How do I know which exact filter to add or remove, other than testing each individual filter one by one? Is there a way to see what content has been blocked by which filter on a page? And the contrary is there a way to see which filter would block something on a page?

TIA
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 20, 2006, 11:35 PM
RE: How to know which filter to change?
quite the loaded question, actually...

basically, your best bet would be to mess around with "watching" Proxo's "log connections window" and to take a gander at several "debug source codes" for several sites...

the 'log connections' will tell you what filters "matched"...
the 'debug' codes will reveal "what" was filtered by each filter that "matched"...
Oct. 21, 2006, 06:22 AM
The log window will also show the contents of the headers. A header filter is harder to pinpoint as the cause of a problem, however. I found that blocked cookies, nonsense user-agents, and blocked referers when navigating between pages on the same site are frequently causes of problems.
Oct. 23, 2006, 09:49 AM
jfs;

Welcome to TUOPF!

While the answers above are a good start, I have a question for you... what do you expect to accomplish here?

Well, there's another question that goes along with that: "Do you visit this site often, or only once in a blue moon?" If the visit is only occasional, then write the new filter set, save it with an easy-to-remember name, and just manually load it as desired.

OTOH, if you go there every day, then you can simply use the URL Match portion of each site-specific filter to restrict the site(s) on which they kick in. This leaves you with one, slightly larger, config set, no loading and re-loading, over and over. If you're more concerned with some of your regular filters needing to be 'turned off' for that site (or if you really don't want to re-load a new config set), then you'll need to use the 'dbug..' command to see the page's source code (as noted above by ProxRocks). Just search on "Match", and check each thing that got blitzed by Proxo. For that offending filter, you can have the URL Match reject the subject website, thus enhancing your viewing pleasure. Smile!

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!