Too much of a good thing
Sep. 19, 2008, 04:35 PM
Too much of a good thing
Yes, it's been 9 whole months that I've been Yahoo trouble-free so it was only natural that this should end.
I am using Sidki's February Beta config with standard filters and SSL, and everything was fine up to about a month ago when both Yahoo and Google turned on me.
On logging in to Yahoo I get sent to the Oops! Yahoo mail can't load page and when I click on the option to revert to the Classic View I get presented with a totally blank page. No Yahoo mail without a Proxo bypass.
At about the same time Google decided to change my default results per page from 10 to 100 and will not allow me to change it. At first I thought this might be a cookie problem but Firefox 3 is set to accept cookies and when I turn off Proxomitron Google lets me make the changes. But when I turn it back on it reverts to the 100 results and disables the Save Preferences button.
I was originally using Sidki's September 9 final config when the problem first started so I know it has nothing to do with the Beta.
Have XP with SP3.
Thanks
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Sep. 19, 2008, 05:30 PM
RE: Too much of a good thing
for the Google "from 10 to 100" bit, what does your IncludeExclude (not the -U one, but the primary one) file have for "NR=" ???

for example, ONE of my lines is "$SET(sCookieF=PREF=ID=3003added0032123:FF=4:NR=25:CR=2)"
you will have to change *EVERY* NR= in the IncExc file, there are several of them...

for 10 results, you'd want NR=10...
you will ALSO have to change the NR= value in your CookieValues file...

i've abandoned Yahoo ever since they FORCED their "new beta" homepage and will no longer allow me to use the OLD homepage !!!

may a thousand fleas infest their armpits!
Sep. 20, 2008, 02:32 AM
Having recently "cocooned" (meaning, I retracted a bit into my shell), I no longer use Yahoo or anything else. But when I was using it, I found that every page they sent me had a portion of the address read: ".... beta=yes...". Of course, changing that with Proxo is pretty standard fare, but to save one from having to re-invent the wheel:

Code:
Name = "put yahoo mail back the way it should be"
Active = TRUE
URL = "[^/]++mail.yahoo.com/"
Limit = 16
Match = "beta=yes"
Replace = "beta=no"

I found that this worked every time, no matter where I started my Yahoo excursions, be it the main page, the mail sign in page, a group page, a map........ they all seemed to follow the same layout, vis-a-vis the address.

Disabling the filter for even a moment was an eye-opener! Banging Head

HTH

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Sep. 20, 2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks ProxRocks for that. I changed the NR= to 10 and Google has been tamed. I wonder how it got changed to 100 in the first place. I thank you for the filter Oddysey but Yahoo still refuses to let me in. Why is this the only mail service that consistently does this? I've never had this problem with gmail.
Sep. 21, 2008, 07:06 AM
slammer;
(Sep. 20, 2008 08:25 PM)liquidslam Wrote:  ........
I thank you for the filter Oddysey but Yahoo still refuses to let me in. Why is this the only mail service that consistently does this? I've never had this problem with gmail.

Not too sure on that one....... If you're set on making Yahoo toe the line, we'll all pitch in and help ya, but if'n yer not so sure that it'd be worth the effort, then I'll leave well enough alone. Wink

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Sep. 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for you offer. I would like to give it one more shot if anybody has any other filters I can try. Should that still not do it then I'll just stop wasting your time and, though it goes against my grain, I'll just have to use the Proxo bypass for their site. Unfortunately, closing the account is not an option at the moment. But after this long fight I really, really hate to let them win this.

On another note. I have had to use another computer to send this message because, as of today, whenever I thry to logon to this site or even click on any of the threads a download popup appears that says: 'You have chosen to open showthread.php which is PHP file from: http://prxbx.com' which is of course this site. It then offers me the choice of opening or saving this file. So far yours is the only forum site where this appears. And turning off Proxo doesn't help. Anybody have any ideas?
Sep. 28, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hello liquidslam,

I came across your posts here by accident and I don't know if I can help you; however I can log into Yahoo Webmail fine via Prox and Sidki's last config.
Usually I do so 'automatically' via Prox using a Y!Login script. Made by JJoe it is available in Files at the Yahoo Prox-list group. It uses the concept of browser 'bookmarklets' with a redirect, and SSL/Half-SSL.

It is a mini-config which you merge with your normal config. The whole thing is only 2 files, one is the .cfg file and the other is the one where you set up your bookmarklets and redirects. Once merged with your config, you get 2 options at the top of Webpage Filters, and you tick the one which seems to work for you. It also uses an entry under Header Filters which you don't need to change.
You can extend the concept beyond webmail and set up bookmarklets to auto-log you in to Yahoo groups, for example.

I don't know if this would help you? However, if your problem is not being able to log into Yahoo at all via Prox, then presumably you still wouldn't be able to using the Y!Login script. However I don't know why you cannot log into Yahoo in the first place, if indeed I have understood you correctly.

Lee
Oct. 01, 2008, 06:41 AM
(Sep. 20, 2008 08:25 PM)liquidslam Wrote:  Thanks ProxRocks for that. I changed the NR= to 10 and Google has been tamed. I wonder how it got changed to 100 in the first place. I thank you for the filter Oddysey but Yahoo still refuses to let me in. Why is this the only mail service that consistently does this? I've never had this problem with gmail.

100 is the default for Sidki's filters. If you were getting 10 with Sidki's filters earlier you must have turned off the filter that controls the number of pages displayed. It is the fake Google cookie that Proxo sends that controls the number of pages shown. If I don't allow that fake cookie to be sent then because I don't allow cookies at Google, Google reverts to the DEFAULT showing of 10 search results per page.

These are the preferences set by Sidki's Google fake cookie:

# ID -> shared GUID, Filters -> off, Results -> 100, Country-Region -> en/us

So, you had this Proxo fake Google cookie enabled when you were getting 100 results per page.
Oct. 01, 2008, 05:34 PM
(Sep. 28, 2008 03:11 PM)leecovuk Wrote:  I don't know why you cannot log into Yahoo in the first place, if indeed I have understood you correctly.

These are the two error mesages I get on attempting to log on:
Yahoo! Mail experienced a login error:

name:TypeError
lineNumber:988
fileName:http://mail.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/combo?/pim/r/dclient/j/js/us/strings_1096_28.js&/pim/r/dclient/j/js/init/init_1096_28.js&/bc/bc_2.0.4.js

Yahoo! Mail experienced a login error:

name:ReferenceError
lineNumber:848
fileName:http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=868us48muje6m

I would have posted them before but I only first started seeing them yesterday after I decided to uninstall and then reinstall Proxo to see if this would help. I have not yet had a chance to try your suggestion but as soon as I have I will let you know.
Thanks