The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

Full Version: Where's my cookie?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I recently moved to a new machine. (Sorry Ralph, but you're the final man standing in the W98SE world - I've gone over to the almost-dark side, and am now using XP.) When I bring up the main page here, I get asked to sign in, but there's no option to either set or deny a cookie. That means, I get asked to sign in every time. Not talking

Is this what all newcomers get, no way to stay signed in?

Proxo is completely bypassed, still no luck. Cry

Oddysey
(Oct. 08, 2008 07:47 AM)Oddysey Wrote: [ -> ]I recently moved to a new machine. (Sorry Ralph, but you're the final man standing in the W98SE world
Oddy , I've got XP and Vista machines along side of my W98SE machine and would believe it , I am still hooked on W98 . When signing in to forums with Opera as my browser , all I do is left and right click my mouse and I'm signed in . Proxo is never bypassed . Veeeerrry cool , Smile! Regards , Ralph
Hmmmmm, three weeks and nobody's going to admit that they have a cookie from this forum? That'd be interesting, to say the least!

Fearless Leader, this board does use cookies, no? Otherwise, how would it know to auto-login a returning member?

BTW, I dug out my old W98SE machine, and stole all the cookies off of it, everything all at once. Moved the whole shebang over here to this machine (the new one with XP), and tried it - no go. Cry

Please, don't tell me that the forum came up with some new way to log people in, just as I was making the switch from a 10 year old OS to a 7 year old one.

Oddysey
(Oct. 28, 2008 04:10 AM)Oddysey Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmmmm, three weeks and nobody's going to admit that they have a cookie from this forum?

i think SEVERAL of us, myself included, are using FAKE cookies...

so NO, we do NOT "have a cookie for this forum"... Cheers
I'm using xp pro sp2 and I get (5) cookies from this site.
They appear to be session only.
Normally, I never send them back unless I log in.

I've fallen asleep while logged in here.
In the morning, I had to log back in.
That would seem to indicate the server expires them if no activity.

z12
Using CS lite for firefox i see I have 5 cookies (4 are cookies session only and one is one day). Don't know more about cookies...
Guys;

Thanks, that tells me that I've screwed up something, in my zeal to slim-and-trim XP to something resembling a useful OS, instead of a rampant elephant charging through my harddisk, adding droppings hither-and-yon.

It turns out that although I'm getting cookies from nearly every other domain I visit, this particular one does not deposit a cookie anywhere. I know, I've looked, believe me. Which led to my discovery that no matter what I change in the Registry (which is normally my friend), the OS kernel seems to know better about where to place my TIF, cookies and history files.

Sigh, back to the salt mines. But hey, even if I have to start all over, at least I have the ability to install from a USB thumbdrive! Takes less than 5 minutes, compared to a CD Rom needing about 40 minutes. <snicker, snort, chortle, cackle, giggle> But that was the whole point of this exercise in reduction and redirection, that if I ever do have to start over, I don't have to worry about anything on my bootdrive, such as favorites, cookies, etc - they're on my data drive - - - or at least, they're supposed to be.

~!~!~!~!~

Oh, and PR, about that fake cookie thing.... to be Zen about it, a cookie is. Or IOW, any cookie will do, for the server's purpose of keeping each user/session separate. Smile!

Oddysey
(Oct. 28, 2008 04:59 PM)Oddysey Wrote: [ -> ]...in my zeal to slim-and-trim XP to something resembling a useful OS...

...at least I have the ability to install from a USB thumbdrive! Takes less than 5 minutes...

AMEN TO THAT!!!
may i assume you're an nLite user?

i've got my "install" down to a 12-minute process...
but that's not "just" a fully-patched XP SP3, it's literally EVERYTHING on my computer installed from "format C" to 100% up-and-running in 12 minutes... EVERYTHING !!! INCLUDING .NET (if my printer/scanner didn't need it, i wouldn't feel the need to install it)...
I grow up tuning the memory of MS-Dos and win 3.1, window 98 and his open ports, win xp and nlite and disabling the services i don't needed.

And now, without disabling services for a long time. In my experience, is the best. I only formatted my pc in two years one time, and it was for doing a clean install with SP3 included (not updating).

My experience tells me:
-never resize a partition. Create it, and format it. Later the HD will work faster
-Make a clean install and a image copy with trueimage (not norton ghost)
-update all the drivers using radarsync or a similar program (make a incremental image copy with trueimage)
-install and CONFIGURE ALL the programs i use (make a new incremental image copy)
-for the maintaining i reduce at minimun the programs loaded in startup, the number of icons in start menu, and the number of files in the hard disk where windows is installed. (2 partitions, one for windows, other for the data i download)
-not installing truetype fonts i will rarely use. Only install divx or xvid and use players with includes the drivers by themselves (gom player and vlc)
-very very important is to not install drivers you don't confide too much. Very important!
-uninstall programs using uninstaller from glary utilites. And deleting the registry entries left using (the old regcleaner 4.3) | (regfromapp & regedit)
-I don't trust in programs wich suposse to tune-up the system. Most of them caused me problems later.

note: with sp3 you can have problems with usb, so test it well before installing all your programs.

Regards!!
PR;

No, I'm not (yet) an nLite user, but I might be one soon, eh? I've always done this kind of thing myself, usually only after a pressing need showed itself. Not that I don't trust others, it's just that they don't often meet my needs directly. Until I get an affirmative nod, such as you just gave me, then I usually stick with what I know first hand. Time to change that routine, at least in this case. Smile! Much grass. Cheers

Also, are you using a thumbdrive of some sort, or perhaps installing over the network? I honestly don't see how you can get a CD (or a DVD, for that matter) to read any faster than it already does.... seems sort of like a cast-in-stone bottleneck, if you ask me. The proof of that is watching a thumbdrive work its magic, transferring files at easily 10 times the speed of an optical drive.

And finally, I'm not too keen on SP3 just yet. Care to 'splain why you went for it? Anyone else wanna take a shot at that question?

Oddysey
there are performance improvements in upgrading from SP2 to SP3...

i myself beta-tested for roughly a year...
i started with build 3180 (still have the official CD direct from Microsoft that was given to our company's IT guy, but he didn't want to mess with it at the time) and completely reformatted and reinstalled anew with each beta release thereafter (i'm thinking there was a DOZEN releases "easily")...

i had four or five "benchmark" programs that our IT guy also handed to me...

SP3 is faster than SP2...

BUT the "peak" of that 'fastness gap' was, according to the benchmarks i was running on three machines (1.8 GHz Pentium 4, 3.1 GHz AMD, and 3.4 GHz AMD), the "peak" was build 3244...

i was told, though never personally tested, that each beta build had a "time bomb" that would PREVENT it from working for longer than three months... otherwise, i myself would actually STILL be running build 3244 based soley on "benchmarks" and NOT "secureness level"...

the "build number" isn't showed in 'system properties' of the publicly-released official SP3, but i'm thinking it's 55-something... 5508? 5512?

the 'fastness gap' "narrowed" after build 3244 (3264?), but STILL better than SP2...

now, the "final" (55-something) SP3 isn't as "fast" as some of the beta versions, BUT i'm quite confident they are more "secure"...

however, as a safe hex'er, i would "prefer" to be able to run those faster beta builds, but i just wasn't willing to test the time bomb and wake one morning to discover my computer won't boot due to "beta expiration"...

the "final" SP3 isn't in-and-of-itself "faster enough" to warrant an SP2 upgrade, in my personal opinion... so as a "safe hex'er", i'd be more than happy at "staying with" SP2... but, after the many months of beta testing and benchmark studies, i feel that "time spent" would be 'wasted' if i did NOT upgrade to SP3 (which again IS "faster", but it's NOT going to turn a twenty-year-old Pontiac 2.5L Quad 4 into a 5.7L 340+ horsepower V8 LS1)...

so, if you're "driving" twenty-year-old hardware, sure, stick with SP2...
if you're "driving" anything newer than five, you will NOT have any problems at all with SP3 (for the record, the above post by forget-at-the-moment about SP3 and USB is the FIRST time i've ever heard of USB problems under SP3, so, um, that could be his/her hardware)...
I use trueimage to boot from a cd, and plug an external HD by USB. The USB problems in SP3 use to be with VIA chipsets, you can search in google, updating drivers with radarsync will work fine.
True enough, I'd heard that there were various hardware problems with SP3, yet more draconian lock-down procedures (think DRM to the extreme here), and not much else in the way of user benefits. Obviously, that sort of thing will either shake itself out a short time after release (3 to 6 months, upto a year), or else one sees the "Kiss of Vista (Death)" label applied. And once that happens, it's nigh onto impossible to get past that hurdle, as Microsoft well knows.

I've decided, already, to skip the WMP and instead use SMPlayer. That should eliminate most of the DRM crap, or so I hope. The hardware should be easy, this Toshiba is barely 2 months old to me, and the BIOS is dated July 7th of this year. Speed's also not an issue for me, nor a good enough reason to upgrade. Security? Same deal..... if it doesn't have Proxo built in outta the box, then it's not up to snuff, and I'll just have to "breathe on it a little". Whistling

BTW, PR, you never did answer my question about how you're installing, as in from what medium.

Inminente, instead of using a bootable CD, and pointing to a thumbdrive, I just use the one thumbdrive to boot straight to XP, and everything's all done. (Some time ago here on the Proxo Forums, we talked about doing this with various flavors of Linux.) That's not really an image of my standard hard drive, I don't use it for anything more than messing with the files in my Windows Folder on the hard drive, when they'd otherwise be locked up tighter than banker's daughter. That's in addition to the thumbdrive I mentioned a couple of posts ago, the pristine installation one.

All good times, I'm sure, but it's time to get back on topic. Anyone got a cookie, fake or otherwise, they'd share with me? I'll copy it into every cookie folder I think IE might be accessing, and see what happens...... Pray

Oddysey
(Oct. 30, 2008 04:30 AM)Oddysey Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone got a cookie, fake or otherwise, they'd share with me?

have you revisited this thread - http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=807

honestly, that should "get you going" with the FAKE cookie...
no way in Hades would i let a site, trusted or otherwise, drop FIVE cookies - are you guys for real, this site is dropping FIVE ???
(Oct. 30, 2008 04:30 AM)Oddysey Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, PR, you never did answer my question about how you're installing, as in from what medium.

i install from an external USB hard drive...
i've TRIED to install from a memory stick, but i can't get it to BOOT from the memory stick - i hear it CAN be done, copying 'boot sector info' to the memory stick, i just haven't tried that yet...

there are some ILLEGAL "boot XP from USB" torrents out there, but i REFUSE to do a method i cannot "create" from my EIGHT legal OEM cd's for my THREE computers...

with nLite, i take my LEGAL cd, make an .iso out of it, nLite-it, off and running... with everything LEGAL...

i'm "told" i can copy my LEGAL windows serial code into the torrent's, but i'm not so keen on attempting... i want a "method" that takes MY oem cd, integrates into it, slipstreams into it, and creates a new install cd out of it, all legit... "too legit to quit"...
PR;

You want to stay legit? I've got no heartburn with that, amigo! Cheers

I did exactly what you want, using the method most commonly recommended around the innerwebs, BartPE.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

That requires an original CD with a valid key, and any updates you want to slipstream in. The reason you know it's legit? You'll have to authorize it, just like the CD you bought from Microsoft (or one of its agents).

Now, to make it work from a USB thumbdrive requires all of that, plus a visit to this site:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/510...28902.html

Presto! your basic bootable CD, in thumbdrive form. Applause

You can also find instructions on more-or-less duplicating your original Installation CD onto a thumbdrive, here:
(EDIT: see footnote below.)

http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8

This page describes modifying several text files, it's a bit less automated, if you will. More hands on, ya know. Wink But still all legit.

There are several other articles out there (Google, anyone?), some of them more verbose than strictly necessary, some of them too brief to do any good. I think I've picked the best of the bunch, but I'm willing to look at others.....

HTH

Oddysey

Apologetic Footnote:
Having reviewed this message the next morning, I see that this website is currently down, for whatever reason..... I found a copy in Google's cache by searching for 'usbstor' and that site. The terms to enter into the search box look like this:

usbstor site:www.ngine.de/article/id/8

Google's cache is pretty well maintained, but it doesn't last forever. Presuming that you're interested in the first place, then if you get the above page in question, copy it onto your local hard drive and keep it until you've checked it out more closely, or you've decided that you really don't need it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's